Ronald Susilo & Li Li giving Singapore Open a miss

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2004' started by labyrinthian, Oct 23, 2004.

1. labyrinthian

labyrinthian Regular Member

SINGAPORE'S challenge in the biggest badminton tournament here has fizzled out even before competition begins.

Both Ronald Susilo and Li Li are out of next month's Aviva Open Singapore, as the duo struggle to recover from illness and niggling injuries.

Susilo, 25, has been battling tonsillitis and fever for the past two weeks and has not resumed full training since the Athens Olympic Games in August.

He joins top woman player Li Li on the sidelines, as the 21-year-old tries to regain full fitness after recovering from having slight gangrene in her right knee.

'We do not wish to jeopardise their health by rushing them back into competition,' a Singapore Badminton Association spokesman told Timesport.

'They have had hectic schedules and have been playing almost non-stop. Both players have achieved a lot for Singapore badminton over the past two years, and it is important that we allow them to recover fully to avoid any serious injuries.'

The duo are Singapore's top shuttlers, with Susilo a favourite among the fans at past Singapore Opens.

He packed the Singapore Indoor Stadium two years ago with his surprising run to the final, and last year, he was again the focus of attention until his defeat in the last eight.

But, while Susilo's and Li Li's absence will be a blow to the five-star Grand Prix event, the US$170,000 (S$288,000) prize money, among the most lucrative on the international circuit, is likely to attract most of the world's top players.

Without Susilo and Li Li - this is the first time they are missing the event - fans will now look to Kendrick Lee as Singapore's main hope from Nov 15 to 21.

The 20-year-old has had a spectacular year, winning two satellite titles and a Grand Prix trophy in his first year as a professional.

And one of the reasons behind his run has been team-mate Susilo's coaching.

At last month's Cheers Asian Satellite Championships, Susilo was the court-side coach to Kendrick and the arrangement seemed to work perfectly, with Kendrick picking up the title.

Kendrick followed that up with his first Grand Prix victory at the US Open, where he used the short message system (SMS) to communicate daily with Susilo for tips on his opponents.

With Susilo sidelined, Kendrick can expect even more tips and advice from Singapore's No 1.

Said Susilo: 'I may not be playing this year but I will be at the tournament to help Kendrick. Don't forget, I am his unofficial coach.'

While Kendrick, ranked 30th in the world, is not likely to win the title, he may be able to spring an upset or two.

The same can be expected from Singapore's top women doubles pair of Jiang Yanmei and Li Yujia, ranked 16th in the world.

2. labyrinthian

labyrinthian Regular Member

Disappointed... Was hoping to see Lin Dan play against Ronald Susilo again..:(

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's quite disappointing. Susilo was having a good run this year and now he is bothered by injury.

maybe it is not all bad, it will give him more time to prepare for his wedding.. :)

4. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

Li li have slight gangrene on her knee! Oh My god!!

Hi all,

Can anyone know what this injury that Li li have really mean?
    Gangrene looks like a very scary word !! :eek:

Hope that this is nothing serious and she is fine.

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Gangrene is an infection to the wound caused by bacteria. If memory serves me well the body can rot and the leg might have to be amputated to prevent the bacteria from growing...

6. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

Oh my goodness, that sounds serious!!

Oh my goodness, that sounds serious!!

Any doctors out there can shed some light on this?
    And also by the way what is tonsillitis?

Thanks a lot :)

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    You know when you get a sore throat? The bacteria which attackes your body is forced to group together by the body immune system to the tonsils. There as the bacteria group together your immune system tries to wack it out.

But if it does not kill the germs properly, the tonsils near the throat get real bad and damaged, the doctor has to remove it. Therefore the tonsils are just removed.

End of story :D

8. yvonneak

yvonneak Regular Member

Aviva Open

It's a disappointment for sure since I wanted to catch Susilo in action:crying: , but I hope this will give the other national players to show their merit like they did in the US:D . We can't expect Susilo to do a one-man show for Singapore. The same goes for Li Li.
    Wishing them both speedy recovery :)