Sameer Verma

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jul 9, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Sameer Verma became only the second Indian ever to reach the final of the Badminton Asia Youth under-19 championships. Gautam Thakkar (in 1976) was the first.

Source: http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_sameer-verma-powers-into-asian-jr-final_1563875

====== * ====== part of article ====== * ======

Sameer Verma became only the second Indian ever to reach the final of the Badminton Asia Youth under-19 championships, defeating Liu Kai of China at the UP Badminton Academy hall in Lucknow on Friday. However, compatriot PV Sindhu fell in the semis, to Sun Yu, also of China.

Sameer’s entry into the final gives him the opportunity to become only the second Indian to win the title — earlier known as the Junior ABC (Asian Badminton Confederation) after Gautam Thakkar in 1976. Sameer will take on Malaysian second seed Zulfikli Zulfadli in the title round.

Sameer’s run was astounding, as he beat an Indonesian and two Chinese on his way to the final. Even coach Gopichand was impressed. “Before the tournament started, I thought he could reach the quarterfinals,” he told DNA. “But the way he has been playing, I believed he had a chance today. He’s been beating some good players, not just Chinese, but also Indonesians and Malaysians.”

The first game was a close affair, and both players remained apace until Sameer annexed the last two points. The second too was close, but after 13-all, Liu Kai suddenly ran away with five straight points.

The loss of the second game made absolutely no impression on Verma, for he shot off to a 13-2 and 15-9 lead before wrapping up the match.

“He’s able to keep the shuttle low, and he’s got a lot of variations on his grip,” said Gopi. “He’s a little similar to his brother (Sourabh).”

====== * ====== * ====== * ====== * ======

IMHO, Sameer Verma will be a good bet for the future for India's Badminton.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The 17-year-old deserved the loud round of applause

Sameer Verma stunned Kai Liu of China in three games to reach the boys' singles final of the Asia youth under-19 badminton championships at the U.P. Badminton Academy courts, Gomti Nagar, here on Friday.

Verma, the first ever Indian to achieve such a feat, got past the Chinese 21-19, 15-21, 21-9 ......

It was Verma, a trainee at the P. Gopi Chand academy in Hyderabad, who stole limelight with the depth of his game.

He played his crafty game to bridge a four-point deficit (13-17) and collected three more to narrowly seal the first game in his favour.

A desperate Liu relied on his power and fired umpteen smashes to draw parity by taking the second game. Verma came up with a classy performance to outplay his opponent in the decider.

The 17-year-old deserved the loud round of applause for his overall understanding of the situation and gamesmanship. Knowing well that Liu was running out of stamina, Verma made him run around the court in the course of some spectacular rallies by mixing his high lifts and soft touches nicely.

The Chinese had several chances at recovering . However, he finally had to bow to the level-headed Indian amid loud cheers.

“It is the biggest achievement of my (short) career so far. I dedicate this victory to my parents and coach Gopi Chand,” said Verma, who had experienced a third-round exit in the same event last year.

The Dhar (Madhya Pradesh) boy, however, admitted that for one moment during the match the fear of defeat had disturbed him.

“But I somehow overcame that,” he said with a smile.

The win has made a world of good to my confidence.” Verma added.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other-sports/article2211736.ece

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The current India junior number one, Sameer kept the shuttle close to the nets

LUCKNOW: Top Indian junior shuttler Sameer Verma put up a spirited performance before going down to higher-seeded Malaysian opponent in straight games in the boys' singles final of the Asia Youth under-19 badminton championships on Saturday (09-July-2011).

Unseeded Sameer lost 15-21, 17-21 to second seed Zulkiffli Zulfadli in 37 minutes at the Uttar Pradesh Badminton Academy courts.

Sameer, who won the boys' singles U-19 title at the All India Junior Ranking Badminton Tournament at Haridwar in February, made his opponent work hard for every point but in the end, his efforts did not give him the desired result.

The current India junior number one, Sameer kept the shuttle close to the nets but his rival won on the account of better smash winners.

In a match that tested the nerves of both the players, Zulfadli hit 11 smash winners as compared to Sameer's two.

In the first game, Sameer and Zulfadli were tied at 15-15 after which the Malaysian registered six straight points to win the game 21-15.

In the second game of the match, Sameer showed enough glimpses of his brilliance as he locked himself in a tight battle with Zulfadli.

However, the Malaysian was not ready to take it lying down and he surged ahead when the score was tied 17-17 and thereafter didn't give the Indian any more chance to recover.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Youth-badminton-final/articleshow/9164902.cms

Sumanth99 likes this.
  4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Is he the brother of sourabh verma or something? Are they related?

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Yes they are brothers....

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, there must be more than one net against Sameer! the invisible one to help ZZ beat him! :D:D:D

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

There must be more than one net against Sameer

Sameer told TOI on Sunday "I was nervous in the final. Nobody expected me to reach that far so it put extra pressure on me. I could have beaten him but his net play was quite good. Despite trying hard, I failed to counter his dribbles at the net."

"When I realized he is unbeatable at the net, I tried to play to my strength which is involving the opponent in the rallies. I won most of the points when I involved him in the rallies. He then adopted time-wasting strategy after the end of each rally which broke my rhythm." reasoned Sameer.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...shoots-into-limelight/articleshow/9180526.cms

NAGPUR: If elder brother makes waves at the senior level, can younger one be far behind?

Until last week, the world only knew about Sourabh Verma but a spectacular performance by younger brother Sameer in the Asian Youth Badminton Championship in Lucknow has brought the MP shuttler into fame.

Seventeen-year-old Sameer not only helped India reach semifinals in the team championship but he also stormed into the singles final in the individual event. The icing on the cake would have been the title but he failed to clear the last hurdle and went down fighting against Malaysia's Zulkiffli Zulfadli 15-21, 17-21.

The unseeded Sameer's giant-killing run, wherein he knocked out several top-ranked seeded players, was stopped by second seed Malaysian on Saturday at the BBD UP Badminton Academy.

"I was nervous in the final. Nobody expected me to reach that far so it put extra pressure on me. I could have beaten him but his net play was quite good. Despite trying hard, I failed to counter his dribbles at the net," Sameer told TOI on Sunday.

The No.1 junior player in India, however, was not happy with the time-wasting strategy of his opponent in the final. "When I realized he is unbeatable at the net, I tried to play to my strength which is involving the opponent in the rallies. I won most of the points when I involved him in the rallies. He then adopted time-wasting strategy after the end of each rally which broke my rhythm," reasoned Sameer.

Despite the defeat, Sameer, who won eight matches and lost only one in Lucknow, is thrilled. He was unbeaten in the team championship where he won three matches to help India reach last four. The team management opted to play Pratul Joshi instead of Sameer in the semifinals against China. The move backfired as India lost 0-3.

Sameer, who joined Hyderabad-based Pullela Gopichand Academy just 14 months ago, now targets World Junior Championship scheduled to be held in Chinese Taipei and Youth Commonwealth Games. "I am in good form and hoping to do well in future junior international tournaments including World Championship. I still have one more year in U-19 category and want to make the most of this period," said Sameer, who credits his success to his parents and coach Gopichand.

Elder brother Sourabh, who stunned the badminton circuit by jumping from 243 to 123 in world rankings in just four months thanks to sensational performance in the India Open and Thailand Open this year, was also delighted with Sameer's performance.

"Obviously, I am very happy with his show. After every match, I used to speak to him and tell him that take proper rest before the next game. In international matches, recovery is very important as it helps you to give 100% on the court," said Sourabh, who is two years older than Sameer.

Both Sourabh and Sameer belongs to Dhar, 60-km from Indore (MP). Before shifting their base to Hyderabad, both used to train at the SAI Badminton Centre at Dhar.

8. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    he needs more power and speed to be success in the senior level....
    in my eyes, he just like evert sukamta...
    pretty well all round player with lack of power and speed....

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

This week, Sameer Verma is ranked No.3 in the BWF World Junior Rankings

I believe that Sameer Verma will get there.

BWF have now made the BWF World Junior Rankings available. It is aimed to be published on a weekly basis. I have started a thread for the rankings, found located at;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...F-World-Junior-Rankings?p=1833638#post1833638

This week, Sameer Verma is ranked No.3.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's surprising not more has been discussed about him in this thread. Congratulations for reaching the final of the HK Open.

11. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

And he just won his first Grand Prix Gold event! His next event in All England where he is playing the qualifying rounds

12. detailermart

detailermart Regular Member

Profesional Detailer
    does verma use Duora Zstrike ?

13. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Let us refresh this thread now..;)

14. Baddyforall

Congratulations Sameer . Well done.
    Got qualified for World Tour Finals @ Guangzhou.
    Hoping for his best in Guangzhou.

badmuse likes this.
  15. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Sameer played really well at the WT finals.
    Hopefully he can keep up the good work and perhaps improve even more.

Baddyforall, Baddie lover and badmuse like this.
  16. Baddyforall

Sameer verma played really well and his game totally rattled Shi yuqi in the first game but in the second game, Sameer verma was in complete control until 14-11. He lost his focus somehow and let Shi Yuqi to come back due to some of his mistakes.

Shi yuqi left stranded many many times because of his exceptional deceptions. I could not count how many times he left shi yuqi stranded. Shi yuqi turned back and laughed to his coach after losing the point for the same deception thrice. When Shi yuqi played a straight drop from his backhand, Sameer verma came to front as if he is gonna play net shot but simply flicked it to the back of the court to the right, which made Shi yuqi stranded. But unfortunately, he lost focus sometimes. Umpire also gave Shi yuqi a point which does not deserve to be his point @20-20. Whole arena is against him and wrong decision from the umpire and First time Semifinal attempt in WTF everything added pressure to his head . He could not reproduce the same form in the third game. But still he fought hard to get 17 points in the third game. Shi yuqi was lucky this time.

In the final, Kento Momota as usual play his usual straight forward game which has huge advantage to Shi yuqi . He studied his game and finished it. But Shi Yuqi will struggle against aggressive and deceptive players. eg. LCW and Srikanth etc. He has huge h2h disadvantage against these guys.

Sumanth99 and Airos like this.
  17. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Long time this thread.
    Decent win from Sameer, he has better consistency, defence and a better skilled player than BSP for 2nd MS spot, he need to improve his attack though.

Hope this win can help him get out of slump.

Cheung likes this.
  18. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well played by Sameer, he lost initiative and played net error in last few, but this is good, I am happy.

His playstyle is similar to that of Kento Momota, he need to improve a lot in that regard, he did well to make Antonsen tired.

And again he is a much better MS2 for India that BSP can ever be.

19. Baddyforall

“Sameer’s a warrior, he fights really hard, so it was a tough match,” Antonsen said. “It was tough on court, 80 minutes. I was in and out of the game plan and focus in the second and it was a struggle. I started to scream a little bit more.” Antonsen Said

Verma on the other hand said,

“I played really well, I wasn’t confident in the beginning but I played really well and tried my best. I had match point but could not capitalise.

“I think I can improve much more. I have to work harder and try to be as consistent as I was this week.”

Sumanth99 likes this.
  20. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

samkool likes this.