Satwik SaiRaj Rankireddy

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by paroxysmal, Jan 4, 2017.

1. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Guess it's time for a thread by his name.

16yr old beat Lee yong Dae in XD in an adrenaline filled match in PBL.

nilesh123 and Sampat like this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Has he played in World Junior Championships before?

3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

He played this year. His partners were not strong enough, they lost in the quarters.

4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Satwik displayed composure and maturity beyond his years, he earned Lee Yong Dae's respect.

#4 badmuse, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

He should be sent to Indonesia for training. Atleast 1 Year. BTW guys, Lee YD is not training anymore.

badmuse likes this.
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

Is he really 16 yrs old? That was an incredible match! Astounding court coverage and powerful smash. Pair him up with Sikki Reddy and they'll be easily top ten.

badmuse likes this.
  7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Yes, He is 16!
    Age from BWF website: http://bwfbadminton.com/player/72435/satwiksairaj-rankireddy
    Date of Birth: 08-13-2000
    I agree he is ready to be on the senior team but no partners available! Sikki Reddy is fixed with Pranaav Jerry Chopra.
    Ashwini Ponappa is the only one experimenting with partners, but I am not sure if they will make a good combination. Will their styles match?
    He is currently with Maneesha K in XD and Chirag Shetty in MD both are junior players.
    Last year he was primarily a back court player. One year under Tan Kim Her and he can play front and back. In 3 years he is going to be a very strong MD and XD player! Hopefully in 3 years we will see other youngsters emerge. :)

visor likes this.
  8. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Yes.. LYD does seem rusty and playing with makeshift players. But taming the big name surely must have boosted Satwik's confidence.

9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

After watching Chirag Shetty play, he looks a good MD partner for Satwik Rankireddy. In 3 years this pair should become a strong MD. Last year they were ranked 300, they are now 68. Both have transformed from back court players to front and back court players.
    They have tasted success at some lower level tournaments.

In December 2016 they won
    1.India International Series
    2.Tata Open International Challenge
    3.Bangladesh IC

10. John I'm

John I'm Regular Member

Satwik must be paired with sikki reddy for mixed doubles.

Sent from my 1201 using Tapatalk

11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    If they don't win anything or atleast def some big names by the end of European leg I firmly believe they will or atleast should be separated.
    Sikki has improved a lot, can be a good pair. Meanwhile they can experiment him with Ashwini, SBR is going nowhere.

John I'm likes this.
  12. John I'm

John I'm Regular Member

I think satwik/chirag pair will become india's no. 1 pair before this year world championships and can also enter in the top 20.

Sent from my 1201 using Tapatalk

13. soami

soami Regular Member

The women players arent good enough. Mixed doubles will remain a problem till some female player really good at maneuvering around the net emerges. Neither Sikki Reddi nor Ponappa are very good. And I am saying this after watching Rankireddy and Ponappa win against Indonesia in the sudirman cup.
    Rankireddy should focus on mens doubles. If Chirag Shetty were to bulk up and gain some strength like his partner, they will be really good.

14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Satwik Rankireddy is happy with Tan Kim Her and his partner Chirag Shetty. Satwik is learning and working on the slow drops and half smashes.
    He wants to work on consistency and knows he has a long way to go.

Link: https://www.sportskeeda.com/badmint...&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=sportskeeda

Excerpt:

Young Satwiksairaj Rankireddy doesn’t shy away from admitting his weaknesses. At 17, he is one of the brightest prospects in Indian doubles circuit but the promising teenager tends to lose matches from winning positions. Satwik admits that his “overconfidence” and “relaxed approach” during matches is what he needs to improve on as he looks ahead to a new season.

Satwik had a terrific season where he and his partner Chirag Shetty finished as the India No. 1 pair in men’s doubles. For a pair ranked outside 200 in 2016, making it to major events like the World Championship and Sudirman Cup justifies India’s growing prominence in world badminton not only in singles but doubles too.

The duo, who won the Vietnam International Challenge in March 2017, even overtook the regular pair of B. Sumith Reddy and Manu Atri in the rankings, attaining the 31st position in the BWF rankings. In fact, national chief coach Pullela Gopichand had described the pair as "world-class" which has potential to win big events.

“2017 was the best year for me. I played the World Championships, three Superseries quarter-finals, Sudirman Cup and finishing the year as India no. 1, for me it was kind of dream season. Next year, we have the Commonweath Games, Worlds, Asian Games. I am looking to make it to the CWG team and win a medal,” Satwik told this correspondent.

Satwik believes that he is still improving
    The powerful stroke-maker credited Tan Kim Her for his meteoric rise, saying that the Malaysian's arrival helped him learn new technique and match strategies. Slow drops and half smashes are a few new things he is learning to add onto his armoury.

I and Chirag are gelling well as a pair since last year after Tan coach joined the academy. Earlier, we had some trouble with who will play in front court but things settled down after sometime. Chirag is also an attacking player and our combination is growing stronger with time.”

“Playing in the PBL has also helped me as I am able to learn new strokes/techniques from players Yoo Yeon-Seong and Markis Kido, whom I have known for the last three years,” said Satwik, who has four International Challenge/Series titles each in men’s doubles and mixed doubles in 2016 when he also captured the attention of many buys with a splendid performance in PBL-2.

Following the footsteps of his brother Ram Charan (state-level shuttler) and father Vishwanathan (a coach), Satwik had a sporting environment at home in Amalapuram, east Godavari district, right from the start and thus his inclination towards badminton wasn’t surprising.

And it was only matter of time when he started winning tournaments, first district-level, then state and playing the quarter-finals of the Nationals. “I knew then that this is what I wanted to do. And I went to Gopi Sir academy in 2012 but I didn’t get the admission. It was the time just just before the London Olympics so I was asked to come later,” Satwik recollected, adding that he trained for a couple of month with coach Bhaskar Babu before joining the famed academy.

Satwik also mentioned despite starting his career as singles player, it was in doubles where he earned good results since a junior (U-13, U-15).

Satwik: Consistency the key to move forward
    With a hectic calendar next season, Satwik is now focusing on improving his concentration during matches and for that he is planning to do meditation.

“My mother has always told me to start meditating, yoga alongwith my training. I wasn’t paying too much attention to that. But now I planning to do it. My focus now would be on a full match not just one game, as after winning one game I tend to lose focus soon.

“In India, doubles players don’t have a consistent result. So consistency is another thing I am looking to improve on and stay in top-10 of world rankings,” added the teenager.

15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Satwik Rankireddy and Pia Zebadiah

16. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I really see a lot of benefit for him being paired with Pia, both technically and psychologically. Such a cute 'mother-son relationship' :D

nilesh123 and badmuse like this.
  17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Satwik Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty have shown tremendous improvement and are quietly making a mark. At the All England 2018 they started well by knocking out Japan's Takuro Hoki/Yugo Kobayashi 21-19, 21-18
    Satwik/Chirag came close to toppling No.2 Carsten Mogensen/ Boe Mathias in a 3 game thriller. Nerves and inexperience made the difference. Satwik/Chirag can only get better over the next 3 years. They are an exciting pair and it's just a matter of time before they start making a mark on the circuit. :)

Fidget likes this.
  18. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Satwik Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty

19. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Satwik Rankireddy visits Pia Zebadiah in INA.

nilesh123 and Cheung like this.
  20. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Satwik Rankireddy and Pia Zebadiah