Selecting matches for the TV Court

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pcll99, Apr 4, 2014.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    It is happening again. This time, it's at Semi-Final of India Open 2014

They place as much CHN players as possible in Court 2.

Is a trend emerging?

2. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Yes, the trend does seem to be emerging. However, in my opinion, the Chinese aren't being shunned or insulted. They are trying to basically include players from more countries in the worldwide court coverage to attract more viewers. There are viewers who'd like to watch matches irrespective of the players' nationality if it provided great entertainment and superior quality of play. However, more viewers like to watch players belonging to their country and hence, the placement of Chinese matches in court 2. My opinion.

#2 Mr. Epic, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Every TV station makes decision on what viewers like to watch. Probably people in England and India are not interested in or getting tire of watching Chinese players. Same in WC last year, they showed all LD's matches from the first round all the way to final, but only 1 or 2 LCW's matches.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    If this trend continues, sponsors for CHN (eg, Red Bull and Li Ning) would want their money back!!:D

5. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

There are two issues behind this "phenomenon":

1. Until LYB declares that all all-Chinese matches are all-out free fights, you can't blame the organizers for having pauses to put them on the main court.
    2. Don't fool yourself to think that it's just sports.

#5 RedShuttle, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  6. RedShuttle

Personally, I am more interested in Court 2 matches 1, 2, and 3 than any of the Court 1 matches. Court 2 matches 4 and 5 are potentially great but we all know the reason why they may not be.

On technical merit alone, I'd put Court 2 matches 1 & 2 on Court 1, and replace either of Court 1 matches 3 or 5 by a non-Chinese match for the sake of diversity.

7. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    its all about business, nothing personal

8. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    I'm not crazy about China versus China matches either, but to not include at least one match from each discipline on the TV court is disgusting (in this case, it's the WS that gets the shaft). Whoever made that decision should be shot. Yes, it'll be two Chinese ladies against each other, but it's just too bad that girls from the rest of the world can't cut it - badminton seems to be such a rarefied sport these days that each and every discipline would benefit from some coverage. Besides, all-China WS matches can sometimes make for scintillating viewing, too, as in the 2012 Olympics final and as in this tournament's match-up between Liu Xin (who's got a point to prove) and Li Xuerui should prove to be.

9. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

For me, they should just put the highest level players on the tv courts. Those matches can potentially produce the most entertaining performances.

I'm not sure if its BWF or India Open organizers who are deciding to do this. But they may end up alienating their own audience.

10. anjing

anjing Regular Member

chn vs chn. either match fixing or walkover.

11. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    If you only have stupid things to contribute, best to just shut up

12. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    maybe chn vs chn lump up in one court, so china cctv can capture it all..

13. RedShuttle

GC was wondering why all the TV matches in the quarter-finals ended in two games. One of the explanations would be: these matches were not picked for their competitiveness, but for their not involving Chinese players.

If they continue to pick matches this way, they are not presenting the best of badminton to the world.

14. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    The idea of viewers prefer watching their favorite players or players that represent their country is understandable but I don't think putting all the matches involve Chinese player in non-TV court is a wise choice. To be honest, in the QF, I would rather watch Du Pengyu vs. Viktor Axelsen or Wang Shixian vs Sung Ji Hyun or Zhang/Zhao vs. Jordan/Susanto or even Pedersen/Juhl vs Zhao/Qing than watch Lee CW not dropping a sweat against Kashyap in a predictable match. I'm Vietnamese and I would love to watch Nguyen Tien Minh play, however, I would more than happy to watch an exciting match between the best rather than watch some boring, predictable matchs that involve Nguyen Tien Minh (this is an example, I'm not saying that all the matches Nguyen played are boring and predictable). And I'm quite sure many of you will agree with me on this.

If their goal is to promote badminton then, like Red Shuttle said above, choosing a match not for its competitiveness but because it doesn't involve Chinese player is not helping much. I know many people find this hard to accept but Chinese badminton players are one of the bests in the world, and matches between the bests are usually the best. And if you want to promote badminton, I think you would want to show the bests, not some predictable and not so exciting matches.
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

#14 doantram, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Well said. You can't control them from doing any of these two practices(walkovers and match fixing). Even in this tournament , they have shown walkovers . Then what reason they need for putting them in non tv court. Lol. I have heard even in this forum from their own fans that whenever a strong chinese player lost to a relatively weak chinese player, then these are the plot of li yongbo. Then how come they are asking organisers. They must ask li yongbo about all these practices .

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

On court 1, two of the matches are involving Chinese players. So we can't say they don't show any of them. Two out of five is not so bad, though I don't mind if there are more.
    besides, i have some Chinese friends who thinks Chn vs Chn matches are not interesting. I do not always agree, but I understand this point of view.

17. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    What you said makes no sense...

If they do not like to see WO, then perhaps they should think of ways of dissuading them. Putting all such matches on non-TV court will make it easier for any potential WO to proceed. (in a general situation)

In this specific IO situation, there is just about nothing at stake for CHN players. in WD, MJ/WXL and YY/TYT against their potential finals opponents are both unknown quantities, and these are scratch pairing anyways, while WS has already secured title and players have rankings secured, and so no need or interest for WO or match fixing.

It is certainly true that matching fixing and WO can be a problem for CHN as they have the luxury to do so, but everything is done for a reason, and if like here there is no reason for such, then perhaps someone should open their eyes and leave their fantasy bubble.:D

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Guess the organizers can't the chance to have too many CHN vs CHN matches on tv court because there may be a walkover (s) and you are left with 3 matches.

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Guess the organizers can't take the chance to have too many CHN vs CHN matches on tv court because there may be a walkover (s) and you are left with 3 matches.

Re-post : take was omitted.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

Agree with nokh88. A TV producer would want to get his program schedule right, get his ratings and keep his advertising customers happy.

Tournament organisers want to keep TV producers happy. Probably it wasn't long ago that badminton wasn't even recorded for TV in India.

You don't get that by having a walkover or retirement on a TV court. So a pity to say, since China Vs China matches have the propensity to happen like that more than other matches, china vs china go down on the priority list. Kinda obvious really.