SHB 03EX or SHB Aerus 1

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Winston A, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Winston A

Winston A Regular Member

I am looking for a new badminton shoe and i came into 2 options, the 03ex or the aerus 1. I play both singles and doubles

2. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Shoes are very personal and should fit very well. I suggest going to a store and try shoes on with the sport socks you will be using. Shoes that fit and work well for your feet are more important than specifications, they will help you prevent injuries and give you maximum performance.

For example: personally the aerus is too soft a shoe for me, the 03 was not very sturdy for me either, but the 03Z was better for me. Forza never feels right for me, often small and a weird toe shape, mizuno is often too wide for me, Asics was pretty good but not very supportive around the ankles. And I put better insoles in them for more dampening because I jump a LOT and need to protect my feet and knees from the vibrations.

This is all very personal, go try them and get something that is good for you. Good luck!

Winston A likes this.
  3. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

Go for 03. They're so much better than Aerus 1.

Winston A likes this.
  4. Winston A

Winston A Regular Member

But why is the 03 better than the aerus 1. (I need to know the reason to take in account for the factors that make it a better shoe)

5. esppy

esppy Regular Member

You're new, the thread got lost in the sea, so here you go about the 03.
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...s-shb03ex-shb03z-ex-03-jp-shb03mid-jp.170815/

Long story short:
    Aerus 1- Yonex's first attempt at lightweight, got it light, but not right. Durability leaves much to be desired. Especially if you lunge correctly. Top skin is too flexible, like paper thin croc skin, hence lack of foot hugging. Just speed. Tie tight for hugs, and you risk tearing the skin.

SHB03EX (NON-Z): Improvements/improvisation (whichever way you look at it) to a tried and tested design, the SHB65 series, which has 2E (narrow), 3E(normal), 4E(wide) for every foot you can throw at it. One series to end all fits. Extra rubber on side to protect shoe from tearing during lunges, and slanted lace for better hug/stability (Yonex logic circa 2015-2018, if you ask why, it's another story for another time).

So if you want something that lasts over 1 year minimum (provided you take care of the sole; tried and tested by me (albeit with the original 65 base) to be 1.5 years with 4-6hrs court time per week), get the 03EX.

Winston A and thyrif like this.
  6. Winston A

Winston A Regular Member

Thanks for the help

7. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

Aerus 1 upper skin damaging my forefoot. I habe been using them for 6 month. They are indeed light and helps you to be agile. But 03 is more balanced and better shoes. A bit heavy but not too heavy.

8. Winston A

Winston A Regular Member

how about the aerus 2 compared to the 03Z