Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

He maybe selected but only to cheer the team from the stands.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I doubt, most likely, besides Chen Long and Lin Dan, Tian Houwei or Qiao Bin would be the reserve MS. Shi Yuqi is still young, another time, perhaps.

Likewise, Chen Yufei won't be going. It's probably, Li Xuerui, Sun Yu and He Bingjiao for WS.

3. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    Shi Yuqi vs the great LCW.

Even though he's my bet to be future star of China... I'm guessing it will be 2 straight matches loss though. He's still not on par with LCW.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think so too. But Lin Dan at his age was already a worldbeater.

Wonder when China will produce another Lin Dan, hope it won't take too long, 10, 20 or 30 years ?

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    As Gillian Clark describes him, SYQ does remind me of the great ZJH. Not only does he look a little like him, he has quite similar movement and strokes... smooth and efficient. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to possess the deceptive skills that ZJH did but he is still young, and we haven't seen that much of him yet.

His style is a little passive and patient, which seems to be the Chinese strategy now, but unlike CL and LD, he doesn't seem to have another "gear". Which he desperately needed against LCW in the final.

He is consistent and has a good all round game, a bit like CL in that regard but there is something about his technique that seems to remind me of Chinese players of the past that I just can't put my finger on...

6. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Yah he doesn't have that extra gear..
    So it's hard...
    don't have that aggressive and domineering character on the court.

China have to take a backseat while other countries come up.
    Axelsen, Chou Tien Chen,
    Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk and soon to return Kento Momota... will vie the crown with LCW.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the ongoing Swiss Open GPG , Shi Yuqi is slated to meet the up-and-coming TPE MS Wang Tzu Wei today at the semifinals.

I'm curious to see how Shi Yuqi deals with WTW's speed and raw power which translates into amazing retrieving ability coupled with a killer smash that he unleashes now and then to bamboozle his opponents.

As it's their first encounter and both of them are somewhat physically stretched coming to the Swiss Open, now the semifinals, I won't read too much into it, still it should be an indication of what's to come between the two young guns in future. Can't wait for it.

8. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The junior circuit, Asia U19? OK.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the Swiss Open 2017 semifinals, Shi Yuqi bested Wang Tzu Wei in three sets, 18-21, 21-17, 21-15 (at one stage leading by 19-9 in the third set).

I must say I lost confidence in him after watching how he dropped G1 but he showed intelligence and could think on his feet and without a coach before the end of G2 and on his own in G3(no idea where the coach went). He showed that wits could overcome brute force.

Why didn't he play like that against Lee CW at the AE, then he mightn't lose so badly to him? Just saying.

11. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Well, Tzu Wei is no LCW, and a GPG semi is not the same pressure as an AE final.

Looking forward to tomorrow's match. I'm guessing both players will be allowed to play all out for 3 games - it will be interesting.

Cheers,
    FB

12. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    As you said earlier, I don't think you can read too much into this match. Yes, SY played better but certainly WTW looked much more tired in this, his third tournament, as is SY. But WTW's aggressive play takes much more energy compared to SY, so over the three tournaments its taken a lot out of him. This slowed down his tempo and aggression allowing SY to control his returns.
    Interesting final against Lin Dan who was more alert and active in his game against AG. It will be a good test for SY as LD's racquet skills and deception will come up against SY's defence and stroke play.

13. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Like in a game... WTW is probably only level 6. LCW is level 10 big boss.
    Haha. How to compare

14. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

It's like a Pokemon

Wang Tzu Wei evolves into Chou Tien Chen at level 17 who evolves into Lee Chong Wei at level 45.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, at the AE, Wang Tzu Wei didn't lose too badly to Lee CW, so I thought if Shi Yuqi played better as he did against the rest, he wouldn't be thrashed but put up a more credible fight, still lose but not too badly either. Just a thought.

Remember how Chen Long keeps improving against LCW.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, one match doesn't prove anything. Btw, Wang Tzu Wei's AE exploits ended at the QFs at LCW's hands while Shi Yuqi's was downed by LCW in the final, so maybe the less fatigue advantage SYQ had over WTW wasn't much.

Wang Tzu Wei gives me the impression he's like his senior Chou Tien Chen, supremely fit, plays an aggressive game pummeling his opponents with thunderous smashes, tight net shots and amazing defense, and playing tournaments one after another non-stop like a machine. Theirs is the kind of game that only the young and strong are capable of, I doubt they can do that past 30. Look how Wei Nan, 33, and hu Yun, 35, are already struggling, compelled to slow down and lessen their brute-force game.

Actually, what surprised and impressed me is how Shi Yuqi tweaked his game to counter WTW's tactics based raw speed and power, esp when he got the lift he wanted after a tight net shot to quickly get behind the shuttle and whack it down like a sledgehammer. WTW's game is , I believed, able to take anyone down whose fitness is suspect. Atm, he is the younger version of Chou Tien Chen, only less experienced but he will soon get there, rising to top 10 by year end, I think.

17. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    SY has the skills to place the shuttle in the four corners of the court. His encounters with the two masters of racquet skills, speed, power and deception should tell him that he now needs to improve in these areas. His game with LCW and LD is actually quite straightforward and one dimensional. Easy to read and put away with little effort from the Two. Will we ever see him in the mould of the two Masters in future?
    I doubt it. He will do well against most opponents with this style but excitement will not be his contribution to ardent viewers of the game!!

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Justin, both Lee CW and Lin D are two class above him, a big gap is still there...
    I notice this young man is different with current China backups, don't know what exactly is but I think his character. He's smart, a thinker and hardworker, his WR is rocketing really fast. Is he university graduated?

Also impressed with Wang Tzu Wei, he's certainly one of next generation players to watch beside Shi Yuqi.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No idea if he's a U grad but I don't necessarily think you've to be highly educated to be smart, many people just have fewer life chances.

It appears to me Shi Yuqi has a mental block when playing LCW, losing twice (or was it thrice?) to him tamely playing below par. I remember how Chen Long suffered at LCW's hands in the beginning but once he scored his first win over him, it becomes a more even fight the next time with the outcome depending on who is in better form.

I'd like to believe that for a talented player with the right attitude, and Shi YUuqi looks to be one, he'll learn more from his setbacks than successes and emerge stronger going forward. Let's see how his trajectory goes from here.

20. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Then he probably learned a lot yesterday from LD :)

I'm almost certain LD wasn't trying in the 2nd set at the GO, but here it was a final with no important tournament following, so he could play all out. I still suspect CBA directions in that GO SF.

Cheers,
    FB