Shoe for Achilles tendinitis

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by London_Player, Apr 6, 2019.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Hi Friends,
    Have developed this injury for a while now, wonder If I should wear a high heel shoe when I play, or just normal Badminton shoe?

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If you build up the heel with gel inserts, I worry that you might hurt some other part of your foot or leg.

Presumably you are getting treatment for the tendonitis (physio, massage, stretching regimen)?

Have you had an orthotics person look at your foot, your stance/ gait and your shoes?
    Having an expert look at your foot and your shoe might be useful .
    No one wants an Achilles tendonitis to turn into an Achilles tendon rupture (*ouch*!)

3. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

4. London_Player

admin
    7 years ago had a rupture during play on right leg, last few years getting tendonitis on left leg, on/off. Recently cut down on Badminton session from twice a week to once, fearful that it could rupture. Been doing some exercise that the physio advised few years ago. I use Asics Gel blade 5.

Fidget likes this.
  5. Badmintonfury

Badmintonfury New Member

You are sure that this is coming from your achillies tendon by inflamed/irritated? Could also be coming from the arch (closest to your heel) of your foot?

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I tried gel inserts and it helped. custom orthotics might work too but given the amount of wear and tear from badminton they might end up very pricey.

later on i chose a pair of Adidas shoes that have a much higher heel to toe drop and never have an issue since.

7. London_Player

admin
    Thanks for your comment. Interesting you mention that the Adidas shoe has higher heel, which model may I ask, as I was looking at their latest indoor court shoes; Stabil Bounce and their top range Stabil X, but like look of Stabil Bounce, but never tried it. Which one do you have?

8. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I'm having the same problem since a few months. For years I had Adidas shoes. I began with BT Feathers. Later on Quickforce 5.1 and especially Quickforce 7.1. The 7.1 were the best shoes I ever had. Snug fit, very comfy and soft, and quite a lot of dampening. Since March I have the new Yonex 65Z. Great snug fit, however less dampening. I now have a painful right achilles tendon. I already tried gel heel inserts, but hasn't helped yet. If it doesn't improve I might try Yonex Comfort Z's or maybe Mizuno?? But which ones?? Maybe try handball shoes? They are comparable with badminton shoes, I think. Mizuno Wave Phantom 2, Wave Stealth V or Wave Mirage 2.1??? I prefer shoes with high dampening and stability over light shoes.

Friend of mine switched from Adidas to Asics Gel Blades and he also got a painful achilles tendon for a short period. The Gel Blades have a lower heel to toe drop compared to Adidas.

It might also be the age. Seems most achilles tendon injuries occure between 35-45. I'm about to enter that age period :rolleyes:

9. London_Player

admin
    I tore my AT when 7 years ago, at the age of 45. It is age related but some warm up, a good supporting shoe and less frequency of play, helps.

I have gel Blade 5 for the last 3 years, now thinking to upgrade to either Adidas Stabil Bounce, which has good cushioning or the latest Gel Blade 7, that look quite nice. I have been avoiding Yonex shoes, since I switched to Gel Blades.

Fidget likes this.