Should I buy a 200m string reel?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by MarketWizard, Sep 30, 2021.

1. MarketWizard

MarketWizard Regular Member

I snap my strings maybe every month or a bit longer, so it'll take about 2 years to use a 200m reel. Will I be saving or spending more money in the long run? I've seen a lot of people break their strings very quickly when returning after the pandemic, so I'm worried that the string will become brittle after about a year if I buy the 200m reel..
    But I'm not sure if strings get brittle because they're intact in the racket, or if they become brittle on their own when just being exposed to different humidity levels from summer to winter etc.

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I own AVP strung with BG66UM 26lbs & now its 2yo i think. I rarely use it coz not quite like it. Just spare racket or for trolling purpose with the beginner friend.
    Its dead but still playable at least for fun games.
    Other hand my Lining strung with LN66EX at 26lbs & 1 yo feel so soft mushy. Hate the hitting feel.
    Lastly my TK770 strung with Yonex exbolt 27lbs around 6 month. String it before the lockdown, play it few time & then the lockdown happen. Now its repulsion is goner. I need to extract 110% power just for doing clear hit back to back court.

All didnt show any sign of brittle but different string may feel different. For note, mine are strung one yet you keep it unstrung.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The thing that is really killing nylon strings is UV light and maybe extremely hot/cold storage conditions. So as long as you store the reel in a dark space somewhere indoors (a drawer in the living room?), the strings should be able to survive for a looong time. A also have reels around that are 2-3 years old and they feel and last the same as they were in the beginning.

So if you are really commited to a certain string and want to save some money in the long run, then buying a reel clearly makes sense. If you like to experiment with different strings, then obviously it's not the right thing to do.

MarketWizard likes this.
  4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Don't let them get too dry, either.

5. konstancij

konstancij Regular Member

piece of mind priceless, especially if stringing for others ocasionally. but its a shame they do not make 100m reels, would be perfect.

by the way, I see a real problem with quality of shuttles over heating season, and looking to make simple humidity box, like plastic box with humidity sensor. do anybody use one for strings/shuttles?