Should I buy a reel?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by NickifiedNg, May 2, 2022.

1. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

I don't brake my strings often, to an extend that my main string (66UM) would go soo dull that it sounds like those factor strings on the cheap rackets.

Whenever I provide my own strings to my usual stringer he would charge me just the labor fee (AUD $15) but if I were to string with him it'll cost (AUD $25). What do you reckon?

2. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Yes, reels are usually cheaper per racket. But only practical if you always have the same string (or at least for the next 20 restrings).

Make sure to keep it in a dark and normal dry place.

3. Justanotherfan

Justanotherfan New Member

Reels will be cheaper in the long run, however say if you’re restringing your racket every 3 months and you’re saving 3-4 dollar each time, I would say just buy them individually from your stringer or shop. That 12-16$ saving annually while investing 150 for a reel that will take 4-5 years to used up. Unless you plan on stringing your own racket, I would say go with individual packs.

4. NickifiedNg

NickifiedNg Regular Member

Actually time three of that amount as I have 3 rackets using the same string

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It’s a personal preference but if you go through more than 20 restrings in under nine months, then it’s probably worth it.

My daughter breaks BG66UM every three or four weeks (playing about 12-14 hours on court per week). She has five racquets because some of the time, two of the racquets might be at the stringer. I will visit the stringer when two racquets need a restring - he has a reel reserved for her.

kwun, thyrif and NickifiedNg like this.