Should I buy an Identical spare or a different racket?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Xeeto, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Xeeto

Xeeto New Member

Hi,

I currently own the Li-Ning N9-II, and I am thinking of buying a spare racket that I could use if my strings break during a tournament. I am currently debating whether I should buy another N9-II, or if I should try out a different racket. I think I would be interested in something like the 3D Calibar 600c, or maybe an Astrox racket (I've been looking at the 77, 88D and the 99)

To summarize: Do you guys think I should stick to what I am used to, or try something similar but new?

2. jole73

jole73 Regular Member

If it's for practising or social game purposes, do whatever you like. But as a spare for tournaments I strictly recommend to buy a sibling.

It happened to me that my strings snapped during a league match and I found out that I had packed my gear not very carefully and was consequently forced to use a different racket. That cost me a comfortable lead and finally the second game. Luckily I managed to adapt and get my timing back after being well behind in the third just to escape with a narrow win.

Lesson learned: always have an identical spare with you.

Xeeto likes this.
  3. Xeeto

Xeeto New Member

Thank you for the info!

4. WonderfulChild

WonderfulChild Regular Member

I agree with jole73. If you're playing at a serious level and your main goal is to do well in the tournaments then I'd get a second of the same racket.

If you play mostly for a social or fun aspect, OR especially if you feel the N9-II doesn't suit you super well then I'd consider trying something new.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

If you take tournaments seriously, you have to buy the same racket again. If you just want to have fun, buy whatever you like.

6. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Depends on your skills too in adapting. I have seen a lot of strong players using 2 sometimes even 3 different rackets but using the same string and tension and I didn't see them having any difficulty to changing rackets.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

7. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Are you happy with your racket and want to play it for 2-3 more years? Then definitely the same racket again. If something doesn't suit you, try other rackets.