Should i sell my MX JJS?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by yeahehehehe, Jun 18, 2014.

1. yeahehehehe

yeahehehehe Regular Member

Hey all, i've been pretty sad with my JJS. It doesn't give me the power im expecting with it. Maybe because of the Balance point? 287mm BP is very low for a HH racket. Im thinking of replacing it with a Voltric 80, since i think i can get more power and beef. Personally i have tried it, played with it a couple of times. Mostly during Warm-ups but have only used once in a game. It has more power, and also lighter! What do you think? Help me out.

IS BP Really essential in creating power?

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

bp has nearly nothing to do with creating power, especially after you start adding grips etc. I can only imagine that you are indeed putting extra grips on to get the bp that low. This will not affect the power of the racket, though!

JJS has lots power, that's for sure. If you can't get power from it, then I would firstly try out rackets with different stiffness. VT80 is too close imo - better to try arc7, vt70, mx60, tk6000.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the cause is for not getting on with/not liking a racket. If you don't like to play with it then just sell it and get something that makes you happy!

3. yeahehehehe

Hmmmmmm, thanks! I think i'll go make it work. Im confused though, why do most pros request rackets with a Higher BP and Weight? I thought it is the formula for creating momentum, in return creating a stronger force, making the shot powerful. IS this true? Thanks, because my JJS measures 89g, oh and i only use a single RKEP G10 Grip, nothing else

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Your muscles still have to do the same work. The limiting factor is how much strain your tendons can take. head light rackets => your pronation must be faster compared to heavier headed racket. Elite players are more likely to get close to their biomechanical/physiological limits with head heavy rackets than recreational players due to physical conditioning and technique.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    BP does affect power. However its not the be all and end all of achieving power. Victor racquets are relatively inconsistent amongst the top manufacturers when it comes to dry BP and weight. To add to this, there is a small foam mass inside the handle that can tweak the "DRY" BP considerably by altering the size and position of it within the handle. This means that two racquets with identical weight and dry BP could feel like one is more HH than the other.

So whilst we would normally assume a dry BP is comparable between all racquets, it isn't always reliable - esp with Victor.

Head mass on the other hand is probably more accurate and meaningful. There is a thread somewhere that discusses this.

But going back to your question, MXJJS is not that head heavy, it is 4/5 on the Victor scale but I would classify it as top end of the even balance band. But it is relatively stiff. Therefore you need good strength and technique to be able to extract the power from it.

To achieve decent power, you need a racquet that suits you personally. A HH racquet will theoretically generate good power because of the mass in the head, but it will slow down your stroke. On the other hand, a HL racquet will allow you to swing faster but is less efficient at transfering that energy to the shuttle. Depending on how you play, you need to strike a balance between the two extremes, and see what balance you feel comfortable with. You should also do the same with stiffness.

A stiff shaft will generate the most power but this is only if you are able to bend it during your swing. If you don't have the strength to bend it, you need to go for a more flexible shaft - which will actually give you more power.

If you are struggling to get power from a JJS but have good technique, perhaps you may wish to try something more flexible such as MX60. The BS12 is another one worth considering, despite the 3/5 balance, I have used ones that feel more HH than my MXJJSs.

6. yeahehehehe

Thank you for the answers. I think i'll go and try experimenting with other rackets. Maybe i'll stick with mine till august. IF it works good, then i'll stick with it, if it goes bad then i'll probably sell it.

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i guess it's hard to figure out without seeing how you swing and play. for the most part i can generate the same amount of power with any kind of racket if i put my mind to it. however, i'm not a heavy smasher so my personal example might not e the best.

before concluding that the racket is the problem, maybe double check your form, sometimes tweeking your swing form just a bit will make a big difference. :)

8. Porky

Porky Regular Member

String tensions may also play a part in how the racquet performs. So sometimes gotta play around with all the different variables :)