Shuttle From another court....

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Vtec101, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    Is there a law in the rule book that says the game has to be stopped when a shuttle from another court lands in your court during play?

This happened during a tourney I was at this weekend. A shuttle from another court landed in the middle of court I was watching, and the umpire let the players continue their rally to the end. The player on the side which the intruding shuttle landed in almost stepped on the it 3 or 4 times. I've always thought it was an automatic let if a shuttle lands in the court, but my friend said it is up to the umpire's discretion. Does anyone know if there is an actual law about this?

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Umpire should call a 'let' to prevent a dangerous situation

Hi Vtec101,

A 'let' should have been called by the umpire.

From the Laws of Badminton, it shall be a 'let', (14.2.7) if any unforeseen or accidental situation has occurred.

It doesn't matter what object(s) have landed in their court during play, whether it is a foreign shuttlecock, racket, shoe, insect, animal, etc...

The umpire should call a 'let' to prevent a dangerous situation.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)

3. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

Just a suggestion...

Just a suggestion, but it sometimes helps for one of the pairs to ask for the 'let'. I've seen this happen in 'smaller' tourneys where the umpires are not 'seasoned'/experienced/formally-accredited. It might be (slightly) possible that the Umpire in question didn't notice the 'stray' shuttlecock...
    Just a suggestion...:)

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Chris is right. But some umpire do dreams during the game. Some even counted wrongly... I can understand your frustration. Things happens in games. Just enjoy it.

5. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

YAH!!! Can be quite annoying...:mad:
    Especially the mis-counting...:crying:
    But what to do? They ARE human and entitled to makes 'honest' mistakes after all...:confused:

6. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    Thanks guys for the replies. Yea, I think this umpire dozes a bit on the court as in another game with the same umpire, he missed calling a blatant fault as one of the player's racket clearly hit the net right in front of him. But as stated, they are human and can make mistakes.

7. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

Let's see if someone would throw a grenade (- a small object) and they would carry on playing :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

8. druss

druss Regular Member

During a tournament once we had an umpire in training and he must have screwed up our score at least 3 times and called me for hittng the net once when it was actually the shuttle (you could see the erratic flight of the shuttle), tried to argue it but the guy obviously had no idea what he was doing...

9. hduong

hduong Regular Member

Just in a club environment, I don't understand why people don't stop playing if a birdie lands on their court. It dangerous if the people on court steps on it or the other person tries to retrieve it. It only one point that ends up a let anyways.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's always better to call a 'LET' as soon as a dangerous can be seen forthcoming

It's always better to call a 'LET' as soon as a dangerous situation can be seen forthcoming.
    Unfortunately, many new comers to Badminton do not know what a 'Let' means. :(:(:(

11. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

For me, i'll stop playing immediately and give the point to my opponent if they'll ask for it. I'd rather give a point than gain an unfortunate accident, imho

12. Anako

Anako Regular Member

Student
    I think its to the discretion of the umpire, normally they'll call a let i believe

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

If I am playing and the umpire doesn't call it a 'Let', I would still stop playing

If I am playing and the umpire doesn't call it a 'Let' (based on the topic of this thread), I would still stop playing.

14. alexh

alexh Regular Member

People have told me that it's only a let if the umpire judges that the shuttle interferes with play. For example, if someone is about to play a net kill and a stray shuttle lands on the court behind them, the umpire might decide to let them play the shot.

Reading the official laws of badminton doesn't help much:

In 14.2.5, does it mean disrupted by a coach, or any form of disruption at all? A shuttle landing in the court may or may not be a disruption depending on the context.

In 14.2.7, common sense needs to be applied. When I play a bad shot, it is always an accident (I never lose on purpose!) but I don't expect anyone to call a let because of my accidental situation ;-)

I can't see anything in the rules that specifically mentions a shuttle landing on the court.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A 'Let' should be called whenever a dangerous situation can be foreseen coming

IMHO, a 'Let' should be called whenever a dangerous situation can be foreseen coming to those playing on the court. Imagine stepping on a shuttlecock, a racket, or any other objects while playing. Ankle injury could probably happen if a player steps on the foreign object.

Your 1st example:
    If someone is about to play a net kill and a stray shuttle lands on the court behind them.

Sorry, it's bad luck for the side doing the net kill. Anyway, whenever a 'Let' is called, neither side is awarded a point.

We need to think further - If a 'Let' is not called, and the net kill was surprisingly returned; then can the side who did the net kill claim a 'Let' later?

Your 2nd example:
    When I play a bad shot, it is always an accident (I never lose on purpose!) but I don't expect anyone to call a let because of my accidental situation ;-)

Your bad shot (say, landing out) won't be presenting a dangerous situation to anyone would it? :p

BTW, the dangerous situation is not the only reason for calling a 'Let'. If I was an umpire sitting on a chair which for some unknown reason suddenly collapse; I would immediately call a "Let'. It is because I would not be able to continue to follow/umpire the rest of the rally.

A 'Let' = 'Stop play immediately, without any side winning or losing a point'.

#15 chris-ccc, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  16. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Christmas pedantry :)

Agreed. Badminton shouldn't be dangerous...

If the shot is returned, then it's for the umpire to decide whether that shuttle on the court will interfere with the subsequent play, right? If there's an umpire, then a Let is something that is called by the umpire, not claimed by the players.

That's exactly my point. The word "dangerous" doesn't appear in the laws of badminton, it just says "accidental". It's open to interpretation, and it seems that people have a lot of different opinions. My own opinion is that the umpire should stop play if there's a danger to the players, but that doesn't automatically mean that you always stop if there's a shuttle anywhere on the court. What's actually written in the rules isn't clear (as far as I can tell).

17. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    In my opinion, if a shuttle (or anything) lands on the court, the umpire should call a let. Simple as that.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

If a shuttle (or anything) lands on the court, the umpire should call a let

Exactly. Even social players who do not know the Laws of Badminton would stop play. :):):)

19. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    Are you suggesting that I am a social player who does not know the Laws of Badminton?

Because that would be pretty accurate. :D

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Social players are less interested in the official rules and regulations

Hahaha :D:D:D

Sorry, hope that that quote did not offend anyone.

That quote was to say that many social players in Badminton play just to enjoy Badminton. Winning or losing is not important. Social players are less interested in the official rules and regulations.

#20 chris-ccc, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010