Shuttlers list out reasons for poor performance in the Finals

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by jimbo, May 20, 2010.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Hi OTB,

I've seen all of them and much more.Visit my youtube channel mynahbird 20000 and you can even see more.

You must have misunderstood, I've have never doubted the credibility of any of you, i am just mocking some of the comments

of noisy fans about players not playing hard enough , mentally weak etc.

Maybe if you want to see classic clips you can request in my channel and I can upload them given time.

2. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Rashid explains why juniors fail to shine in the senior ranks

KUALA LUMPUR: National singles chief coach Rashid Sidek has identified several reasons behind the junior shuttlers' failure to shine in the senior ranks.
    And two of the main reasons, he said, were the lack of competitive tournaments and self-motivation among the juniors.

He hopes that the youngsters would be sent out to more tournaments in order to speed up their transition from being aspiring juniors to accomplished seniors.
    Rashid certainly knows what he is talking about.

“I was the singles and doubles Asian junior champion in the late 80s. But it took me two years to make the grade in the senior ranks. It is not easy for a junior to start all over again as a senior player because everything becomes tougher,” said Rashid.
    “During my time, we lacked tournaments. I had to constantly motivate myself to raise my game. I used to be beaten easily in Open tournaments but I did not let it dampen my spirit.
    “Every defeat was a learning experience and I continued to set higher goals as I progressed.

But now, players get demoralised easily. They fail to realise that the level of competition and expectations are different in junior and senior competitions.
    “They are also easily put off by early failures. Instead of letting it affect them, they should be fired up to work their way up.”

Mohd Arif Abdul Latif, the 2007 Asian Junior runner-up, is one good example.
    After dominating the junior circuits, he failed to make any impact in the senior tournaments and the coaches are currently working on rebuilding his confidence.
    Rashid said that he would review the training and competition programmes for the recently promoted juniors like Iskandar Zulkarnain Zulkifli, Mohd Syawal Ismail and Misbun Ramdan.

“I will send them out more frequently to help them catch up with the seniors. They can compete in the satellite, international challenge and Grand Prix Gold tournaments.
    “We have many options now and I am happy that the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) have agreed to give them more exposure,” he said.

Rashid also hoped that the younger players would adopt the same kind work ethics and commitment shown in training by world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei.
    “Honestly speaking, Chong Wei is the most committed player in training. He sets his own goals and we, the coaches, do not have to make him do it. He is self-motivated,” said Rashid.

“After winning the All-England, he told us (the coaches) that his next mission is the World Championships (in August in Paris) and, I know he will work towards achieving that.

“The defeat by Lin Dan (at the recent Thomas Cup Finals) will teach him to be better prepared. He knows that Lin Dan is still his main rival and he has to work on the right strategy to counter the Chinese.”

Rashid said that while they worked on identifying the younger singles players for the future and drafting tailor-made programmes for them, Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim would be sent for the Opens in Singapore and Indonesia next month.

3. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

rashid is of course lying to ensure the sponsorship keeps on cumming and ensure boleh-land fans continue to support datuk.
    dis will continue their steady stream of income.

how can datuk be committed when he bought a 600k nissan gt-r juz to strut arnd town?
    look at the body accessories that he wears, juz like his la-la boy days.

how to compare with SUPER DAN as the ultimate sportsman and committed exponent of badminton?

i've got a feeling SUPER DAN will allow datuk to win the world championship this time.
    WC is no longer a premier tournament bcoz it was chge to an annual affair.

anyway, imho here are the list of most prestige tourneys

1) OLYMPIC GAMES GOLD
    2) ASIAN GAMES GOLD (Sorry gwei-los, u r still not in the premier league yet)
    3) THOMAS CUP CHAMPION
    4) WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
    5) ALL ENGLAND
    6) INDONESIAN OPEN

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Thanks for your kind offer, I will look it up.

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Chong Wei must improve his foot work

I WATCHED the recent Thomas Cup tournament and Malaysia's loss to China. I believe Datuk Lee Chong Wei lost not because his badminton skills are no better than Lin Dan's but because of weakness in his foot work.

Lin Dan always moves with his steps in sprinting position, which makes him nimble whereas Lee is flat-footed. Moving flat-footed is stable but slow in response to sudden movement changes, especially when the opponent tricks you.

I hope his coach will replay the semi-final matches and understand what I mean.

DAVID TONG,
    MALACCA.

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Ha ha, I think LCW's footwork is good enough. LD beats him with speed. So, LCW needs to buff up and match LD's speed.

7. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Agree. To add on, I think it's "anticipation".

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..not only to LCW but vs. TH as well..
    for LD, if he could read LCW's game like a book, i thought LD read Taufik's game like braille...imo, LD only went to 4th gear vs. LCW while only used his 3rd gear vs. TH (hardly smashed vs. TH)..

Somewhat concur with the comments from David Tong. I think more than footwork, it was LD's reaction/anticipation which was simply faster and quicker than LCW. Watching the Semis was like someone replayed the 2008 OG MS Final..

Btw, reading the thread's title, i assume the "Finals" is the Final Round of the Thomas Cup event. Not the actual Final tie between CHN vs. MAS??..
    off topic:
    ..for me, i would move up no.4 & 5 to the top 3. Then move no.2 down. I would add the Sudirman Cup to the list but that (and the Thomas Cup) are considered team events.

I also feel LCW has a great chance to win the WC this yr. It all hinges & depends on LD's motivation and goal..

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    No matter how talented you are, you gotta be pretty committed even to be WR#100 in the world, not to mention having to beat everyone but LD. I don't think LCW can be where he is now without being 100% committed.

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Being a non-LCW fan, I will feel that LCW is kinda unlucky to be playing in the same era as Lin Dan. If Lin Dan is not around, I will feel that LCW will not have waited so long for his first major title.

Oh BTW....Lin Dan has not won the Asian Games Individual Gold Medal (until he attempts for it again at the end of this year at least). And I think some ppl here will disagree to pralinescream's list of prestigious tourneys. I mean the Indonesian Open is actually inside the list??? Being an Indonesian myself, I still cannot justify putting it down into the list of major titles.

11. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

For non-Indonesians it is extremely difficult to win in Istora Senayan or any stadium in Indonesia. The winner must have absolute skill and mind power to overcome the noise and crowd.
    For Indonesians, to win under the immense expectation and pressure by the home fans require incredible effort as well.

Yes, SUPER DAN had lost to Taufik in the last Asian Games and this is the only single title that stands between him and the GREATEST OF ALL TIME.
    SUPER DAN had redeemed himself partially in Beijing 2008 after losing in Athens 2004.

All England is no longer the highest prestige tournament now. maybe yes last time when badminton is not olympic sport and there's no world championship. since then, together with more accessible air travel, getting all the way to London may not be such a grand thg anymore.

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Again, I disagree. Many non-INA players have proven (including Lee Chong Wei) that they can win at Istora too.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LD did beat taufik in 2 other H2H matches in 06 AG, in preliminary and team event, and lost once to taufik in the individual event.

#53 cooler, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  14. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, LD and his coaches has studied LCW game very well, he seems anticipated well the following shot by lCW very well and he managed to kill LCW's shot very early, thats makes LCW flat footed so many time....

15. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Next year, u will have to add 4 PSS's ( INA Open included as one of the PSS)

#55 jasonmarc, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

LCW was outfoxed. He was taken by LD to play at a higher speed when he should have slowed it a bit. He could have rallied more with LD as LD does not like that (he loses patience).

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..LCW tried to, but LD just wouldn't allow it..basically LD dictated everything from the very get go..The only time LCW got some semblance of a rally going or change in pace was in the 1st game, when he was down like 18-10 or so, but by then, it was too late (and LD helped him a bit)..In the 2nd game, i don't know what happened to LCW; it's as if he stopped playing/competing>>back to mental game..

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli

1st)who is the one who say his own player have enough tournament?:rolleyes: during mo 2010?:rolleyes:
    rashid himself told one of the bcer that his player get enough exposure and enough amount of tournament;)
    maybe after promoted,he become busier and forget
    low class acting

2nd)yeah,when i beat cj and u let arif to be in the thomas cup squad:rolleyes:
    of course i get demoralized:mad:
    or u mean u want me to learn from that lesson?:rolleyes:
    oh,i am so touch:crying:

3rd)of course
    when i have no result but paid with higher salary than others
    why should i train harder?
    just goyang kaki and relax lah
    result or no result
    i still get my money every month

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my final advise:never believe what rashid sidek said;)

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. There are two kinds of speed: natural speed and anticipative speed. LCW, according to a coach, is no 1 in natural speed. TEAM CHN is no 1 in anticipative speed. But to be top in anticipative speed, gotta do intensive video homework, in fact CT-scan opponent's game.(Can't see other countries being able to match CHN in terms of such comprehensive preparation. But if they can just do some, will be good enough to make a difference.) That's a lot of hard, patient work.When a player is slower in natural speed, he can speed it up with anticipative speed. That's what LD and Fu/Cai did to their top opponents. It's an effective way to beat their top opponents. You don't see LD having much anticipative speed when playing other opponents except LCW. The advantage of anticipative speed is it makes the opponent feel 'naked' and lose confidence and lost. It's difficult to recover from that unless there's already some antidote planned.
    But CHN deserve their TC win. It's obvious they worked real hard for it.

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..let's just say LD was motivated, thus he increased his natural and so called "anticipative" speed not only vs. LCW but vs. Taufik as well...:cool: