Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Easy win for Gu Juan at World C'ships, but mixed doubles pair out

Published on Aug 06, 2013
    5:07 PM

[​IMG]

Singapore shuttlers Vanessa Neo (right) and Danny Bawa Chrisnanta's campaign at the badminton world championships have come to an end, after the mixed doubles pair lost in their opening match to South Korea's Shin Baek Choel and Eom Hye Won on Tuesday, Aug 6, 2013. -- ST FILE PHOTO: LAU FOOK KONG

By May Chen

Singapore women's singles shuttler Gu Juan made light work of her opponents in her opening match at the badminton World Championships, beating Lithuania's Akvile Stapusaityte 21-4, 21-12 on Tuesday evening.

The world No. 20 will meet Thailand's world No. 5 Ratchanok Intanon next in the third round.

Mixed doubles pair Vanessa Neo and Danny Bawa Chrisnanta, however, ended their campaign after going down in their opening match to South Korea's Shin Baek Choel and Eom Hye Won. The Singaporeans, ranked 16th in the world, lost 19-21, 13-21 to their world No. 22 opponents.

Despite narrowly losing the opening game, Neo and Chrisnanta had started off the second game brightly, racing to a 4-0 lead. But the duo allowed the South Koreans to claw back, at one point allowing them a eight-point streak.

(Let's see whether GJ can upset RI, who must be well-prepared for this WC. It will be difficult but we give her our full support. ;))

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Singapore badminton association have all the facilities and money to improve badminton scene in singapore. But still they are lagging in doing so. Atleast, they should come up with some new ideas and themes so that we can get good results . Let us see what steps will they take to promote badminton.

When i went to singapore, i found many condos having badminton court for the benefit of people living there. Still it seems lagging in that sport. I don't know why?? Any reason..??

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Please don't attempt to brag and be too clever here.

This shows how childish and revengeful you can be just because of my comments on your "Sindhu thread" which you dislike. :p

Just as you have said about my country, there must also be many areas that your own country can improve on its badminton prowess. What, with such a huge population second only to China now and expected to surpass it in about 20 years. But what is your country's standing right now relative to China's? Singapore is just a tiny country without superpower ambitions! :rolleyes:

Our own SBA is quite capable of doing a creditable job without your messing around.

Good that you noticed we have many places for badminton enthusiasts. Indeed they are very lucky to be able to continue with their social game with better facilities. :D

As I have said, taking up badminton as a profession is not quite the cup of tea for most of our talented badminton young as they and their parents feel they are able to earn a better living doing other things with a high academic or technical qualification. That's one reason why we are forced to import players, although they are not always the most talented in their own countries, so that Singapore can remain in the badminton circuit.

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Even i am saying the same to you.

Did anybody asked anything and anybody dragged singapore unless or othewise some of your unneccesary statements against indian players which made me to reply you.:) Nothing wrong in saying that Singapore should take steps in improving badminton as if you always saying like "with such a huge population second only to China now and expected to surpass it in about 20 years. But what is your country's standing right now relative to China's?" :rolleyes:

BAI is also doing wonderful job in improving badminton in our country in all ways they can without your messing around.

I have many classmates living in Singapore who are well settled in their young age. But nobody ever tried to participate in any sports. They feel like that is not their duty. Similar condition prevails in India as well. Children are not allowed to take sports as career as it won't pay them much. That trend is really changing nowadays (thanks to Leagues which give them hope for their livelihood). But here every parent is willing to make their sons/daughter as professionals.

Unless their parents are sportspersons, they won't understand their siblings. This is the mentality in these countries. This should change. India is taking some of the initiatives to divert people' attention to sports as well.

One thing for sure.. Whenever i go out, in India, i can find children playing cricket in any of the empty ground. Similarly, i found singapore children playing basketball in all and every building which had basket ball court. Direct from school, they ll start to play basket ball.

#64 scorpion1, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    We have lots of school children playing badminton and other games. We even have a Sports School for those who are really talented but not the majority who will eventually become professional athletes. Our education system now encourages an all-round development to help children grow into better people who can enjoy a more healthy life-style when they become adults. Whether this will finally come true is left to be seen.

You need to look back to your posts to analyse whether you should be saying some of them. Remember you should expect a response from what you said of others too. The right of reply must be expected and indeed be given.

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Singapore do not need social court actually, they are importing players from china, Indonesia and Thailand... Amazing things their scouts are doing, some are very good players.

7. sen

sen Regular Member

Many wrongs there.

First, SBA does not have ALL money, I believe the amount that SBA can get from sponsor and the Singapore government is not as much as what CBA can. Given the size of the country. You can't compare. Even in Indonesia, the total private sponsor can far exceed that and you might be surprise that the amount of sponsor money for soccer in Indonesia can be far greater than badminton even though the result is totally opposite.

Many condos having badminton court? I believe almost all condos have tennis court but less than 1 quarter of them have badminton court. There are probably more squash court in Singapore condo than badminton courts.

And majority of Singapore don't live in condos.

Anyway, I think many Singaporean children have interest in playing badminton but so rare of them going into full time badminton career and it is understandable.

#67 sen, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Do remember that SBA is not Singapore.

SBA is but one of the many sports associations in Singapore and the Singapore Sports Council (SSC), which represents the government, is responsible for the proper running of the national sports associations (NSA).

NSAs which are doing well in terms of how they organize their sports and how well they, or their athletes, perform locally and internationally will get more funding from SSC. It is largely based on merit.

In fact the SBA gets less funding from SSC than in the past because the performance of its players are less impressive. It now has to rely more on commercial sponsorships.

Regarding badminton courts, indeed very, very few private condos have badminton courts. Only a handful of the private social clubs like the two swimming clubs (Chinese SC and Singapore SC), a graduate club (National University of Singapore Society, NUSS) and one golf club (Warren) have badminton courts, I believe. We also do not have halls that are large enough for anything more than 20 courts. That gives an idea of how physically small Singapore is. :D

Many badminton courts are provided by the government like the community clubs in various constituencies all over the island and the school halls (hitherto unavailable for security reasons) that are now open to the public for recreation.

So the game of badminton is encouraged for health and social bonding reasons among the working adults in particular.

Although we are considered weak in badminton in the region, there are some sports which Singapore has shone in, even internationally, like sailing and bowling. We are the kingpins in ASEAN waterpolo and relatively strong in swimming! Surprisingly, in these sports, we do not have to import foreign talents to help us develop them to a higher standard. But that is another story apart from badminton.

#68 Loh, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I really can't comprehend what you mean.

Even hard core professionals need badminton courts and related facilities to train in. Without proper and organized training they will not be able to meet the international competition.

Most of our foreign imports came at a relatively young age of around 13 years old. They are not superstars, like LCW, LD, WYH, May or LXR when the SBA scouted them and decided to try them out. They are newbies just getting to know the game better and certainly need professional training for a long time more. I suppose it makes sense as it also takes a long time to assimilate into our Singaporean society.

Gu Juan most likely will not get a similar opportunity in China where there are many, many more young players of her standard or higher. But now GJ earns a decent income, travels round the world and gets recognition both locally and internationally. More rewards will come to her if she is able to advance into the top ten in the world or win an international tournament. Not too bad isn't it? ;)

It takes us about 10 years to produce someone like Gu Juan from an early age to where she is now. It is not free as much investment and patience are needed.

#69 Loh, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  10. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    that what i said singapore scout are doing fantastic job... & these spoted talent train in SBA, they dont train in condo courts.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What's wrong with ordinary people using condo courts to enjoy badminton? Doesn't that fulfill a social need?

Anybody implying that condo courts are there to train professional badminton players need to seek a psychiatrist.

12. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

ordinary people in the general public have no access to these badminton courts in private condos, as these courts are only meant for the residents and/or invited guests to use only.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yao Lei and Shinta reunite, aim for SEA Games gold

CNA

By Patwant Singh
    POSTED: 24 Aug 2013 9:12 PM

Singapore’s women’s doubles pair of Yao Lei and Shinta Mulia Sari has re-united after having parted ways recently, and they are aiming for a gold medal at the 2013 SEA Games in Myanmar.

SINGAPORE: Singapore’s women’s doubles pair of Yao Lei and Shinta Mulia Sari has re-united after having parted ways recently.

The two are already targeting a gold medal at the 2013 SEA Games in Myanmar after their partnership got off to a good start at the Li Ning International Series.

The tournament, which ended on Saturday, provides valuable exposure for upcoming players.

Singapore's top male shuttler Derek Wong had a good run in the men's singles competition. He won in straight games against Taiwan's Lin Yu Hsien, with a score of 21-18 and 21-14.

But all eyes were on the women's doubles pair of Yao Lei and Shinta Mulia Sari.

The duo lost the first game to the other Singaporean pairing of Vanessa Neo and Fu Mingtian, but they came back stronger, winning 19-21, 21-15 and 21-3.

It was a good tune-up for them ahead of this year's SEA Games.

Ms Yao said: "It's our first tournament after we (were paired up) again and (this) gives me a lot of confidence for the other tournaments."

- CNA/gn

Singapore's Yao Lei (R) hits a shot as partner Shinta Mulia Sari (L) looks on during their woman's doubles semi-finals match at the Malaysia Open Badminton Superseries in Kuala Lumpur on January 19, 2013. (AFP/Mohd Rasfan)

Attached Files:

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I tend to agree that this pairing of Yao Lei and Shinta is the strongest WD for Singapore, they should continue to work on their game to realize their full potential. It's certainly no mean feat to win any SEA Games title in any discipline, with the likes of WS WC Intanon R, MD WC Ahsan/Setiawan, XD WC Tantowi/Natsir, and MS silver medallist Lee CW, except for WD where perhaps SG has a fighting chance for gold.

Hopefully, WS Gu Juan and MS Derek Wong/Ashton Chen can each win a medal too.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton begins search for new CEO

[​IMG]

Singapore Badminton Association CEO Bobby Lee. Photo: Don Wong

By Low Lin Fhoong

7 hours 18 min ago

SINGAPORE — The Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) is on the hunt for a new CEO after the resignation of Bobby Lee (picture) last month to join the healthcare industry.

Lee joined the SBA in March 2011, overseeing the setting up of the National Intermediate Squad and organisation of the Li-Ning Singapore Open in 2012 and 2013.

The national team also saw some success during his tenure, earning promotion to Tier 1 of the 2013 Sudirman Cup. Shuttler Fu Mingtian also created history at the 2011 SEA Games by winning the Republic’s first women’s singles gold.

Lee, 43, will serve two months’ notice until October 12. “After two-and-a-half years at the SBA, I have decided to pursue another interest,” he told TODAY. “I will miss the sport, but I will continue to play badminton, and will still enjoy watching it.”

SBA President Lee Yi Shyan confirmed that the association has started the hunt for a new CEO and will work with the Singapore Sports Council on interviews and selection of final candidates, with SBA team director Chew Keet Hou appointed as Acting CEO in the interim.

Said the badminton chief: “During his tenure, Bobby has strengthened the SBA in terms of organisation and operations ... The new CEO will need to ensure continuity of our objectives, which would include preparation for the SEA Games in December and organisation of the Singapore Open in April 2014.” LOW LIN FHOONG

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thomas Cup unlikely to be held in S’pore

Cost the main factor but SBA is open to taking on World Champs, says CEO Lee

TODAY
    By Dan Guen Chin
    08 August

SINGAPORE — Money, or rather, the lack of it, is preventing Singapore from playing host to the two biggest tournaments in world badminton: The Thomas/Uber Cup and the Sudirman Cup.

Bobby Lee, Chief Executive Officer of the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA), yesterday made it clear that, unless there is money in the association’s coffers or it has the ability to raise the funds, then bringing the two tournaments to Singapore is not likely to happen, at least not in the near future.

“I have done my sums and it tells me I need S$3 million to host either of these two tournaments,” said Lee.

“So where do I get the kind of money we are talking about? Sponsorship is one way of raising the money but, in a sport where most of the major sponsors are already tied up, there are not many options left for us.”

There has been talk that the commercial rights holder of the Thomas Cup, Singapore-based Enterprise Sports Group (ESG), is interested in helping Singapore, or the SBA, get the hosting job for future Thomas/Uber Cup tournaments.

“We are interested but we just don’t have the money needed for television production costs for the live coverage, and the Thomas/Uber Cup and the Sudirman Cup are week-long affairs,” said Lee.

“Then there is the rental cost of the Singapore Indoor Stadium, as well as the practice courts. They are not cheap and, to be frank, SBA does not have that kind of money.”

But the association is open to the idea of hosting the World Championship which, according to Lee, is within its financial capabilities.

“It would be nice if we can host the World Championship, which is like hosting a Super Series tournament minus the prize money,” he said. “It would probably cost half of what is required to host the Thomas Cup or the Sudirman Cup.”

The 2013 World Championship is ongoing in Guangzhou and will be held in Copenhagen, Denmark, next year.

Bidding for the 2015 tournament is now open and the SBA is still considering whether or not to submit its bid before the Aug 31 closing date.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore Open in new sponsor search

[​IMG]

New BWF President and 1996 Olympic badminton men’s singles gold medallist Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen (right) and BWF Chief Operating Officer Thomas Lund visited the Singapore Sports School yesterday. Photo: Wee Teck Hian

• By Dan Guen Chin

08 August

It is official: The Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) is in search of a new title sponsor for its annual marquee event, the Singapore Open.

For the past four years, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Super Series event was sponsored by Chinese sports equipment manufacturer Li-Ning, which was given until July 31 to confirm whether or not it wishes to continue bankrolling the tournament.

But the fast-growing Chinese brand allowed the deadline to pass, prompting the SBA to begin its search for a new title sponsor.

Said SBA Chief Executive Officer Bobby Lee yesterday: “(Li Ning) didn’t get back to us by July 31, which means it is not taking up the option of renewing its title sponsorship with us.

“So now, we have to look for a new title sponsor and are already talking to a few interested parties.”

Lee was speaking on the sidelines of a visit by new BWF President Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen to the SBA office at the Singapore Sports School.

Larsen, who was accompanied by BWF’s Chief Operating Officer Thomas Lund, also played a series of friendly games against players from the SBA Academy.

Li-Ning, who is also the equipment sponsor of the Chinese national team, came on board for the Singapore Open in 2010, signing a four-year deal.
      Signs that the sponsorship deal was coming to a close emerged last year when the company underwent a restructuring exercise, citing the poor business climate. DAN GUEN CHIN

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Derek Wong of Singapore beats Yu Hsien Lin of Taipei to win singles title at International Series

[​IMG]Singapore’s Derek Wong, seeded No. 2, in action during the semi-finals against Senatria Agus Setia Putra of Indonesia. Derek won in straight sets 22–20, 21–12. (Photo 1 © Low Sze Sen/Red Sports)

[​IMG]Shinta Mulia Sari (background) and Yao Lei of Singapore won the women’s doubles title with a 2–1 (19–21, 21–15, 21–13) victory over compatriots Fu Mingtian and Vanessa Yeo. (Photo 2 © Low Sze Sen/Red Sports)

[​IMG]Singapore’s singles top seed Ashton Chen Yong Zhao was taken apart 1–2 (21–16, 9–21, 17–21) by Chinese Taipei’s Lin Yu Hsien in the last semi-finals match of the evening. (Photo 3 © Low Sze Sen/Red Sports)

[​IMG]Fu Miantian (left) and Vanessa Neo in action during their semi-final where they beat Maretha Dea Giovani and Melvira Oklamona of Indonesia 2–1 (17–21, 21–13, 21–19). (Photo 4 © Low Sze Sen/Red Sports)

6 Sep 2013

[​IMG]

http://www.redsports.sg/2013/09/06/derek-wong-li-ning-singapore-international-series/

Singapore Badminton Hall, Saturday, August 24, 2013 – Derek Wong of Singapore beat Yu Hsien Lin of Chinese Taipei 2–0 (21–18, 21–14) to win the men’s singles title at the 2013 Li-Ning Singapore International Series.

Derek, the second seed, took 37 minutes to beat his 13th-seed opponent who had beaten top seed Ashton Chen of Singapore 2–1 (16–21, 21–9, 21–17) in the semi-finals.
    Derek only dropped one set on his way to the title. In Round 2, Derek needed 45 minutes to beat unseeded Kok Pong Loke of Malaysia 2–1 (21–16, 13–21, 7–21).

Derek’s longest encounter came in a 50-minute match against 14th seed Wibowo Setyaldi Putra of Indonesia. Derek eventually won 2–0 (21–18, 21–18).

There was an all-Singapore final in the women’s doubles event. The top seeded pair of Shinta Mulia Sari and Lei Yao beat compatriots Fu Mingtian and Vanessa Yeo 2–1 (19–21, 21–15, 21–13).

That was after Shinta and Lei Yao had to take one hour, their longest match of the tournament, to fight off the challenge of the third-seed pair of Melati Daeva Oktaviani and Rosyita Eka Putri Sari of Indonesia in the semi-finals. They eventually won the semi-final 2–1 (21–14, 22–24, 21–17).

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    S'pore draw Russia after 5-0 thrashing by China at world junior meet

Published on Oct 24, 2013
    7:36 PM

SINGAPORE finished second in Group W1 after a 5-0 drubbing by China in the Suhandinata Cup world junior mixed-team badminton tournament on Thursday in Bangkok.

They had thrashed Spain and Australia by 5-0 margins on Wednesday, and face Group W2 runners-up Russia in their play-off on Friday.

Against the defending champions and top seeds, Singapore, seeded in the ninth-16th bracket in the 32-team event, won only one game through Liang Xiaoyu in her 11-21, 21-12, 21-23 loss to He Bingjiao in the women's singles.

Shi Yuqi beat Bernard Ong 21-12, 21-11 in the men's singles, Huang Kaixiang and Chen Qingchen beat Terry Hee and Elaine Chua 21-18 21-12 in the mixed doubles, Liu Yuchen and Li Junhui beat Hee and Ryan Ng 21-16 21-14 in the men's doubles, and Ji Yifan and Huang Dongping beat Chua and Yeo Jiamin 21-12 21-14 in the women's doubles.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    S'pore beat Russia to qualify for 9th-12th play-offs in world junior meet

Published on Oct 25, 2013
    7:46 PM

SINGAPORE made the 9th-12th place final-stage matches for the Suhandinata Cup world junior mixed-team badminton tournament in Bangkok, after thumping Russia 3-0 in their Group W play-off on Friday.

Terry Hee and Elaine Chua got the team off to a good start in the mixed doubles by overcoming Alexandr Zinchenko and Olga Morozova 21-19, 21-18 in 29 minutes.

Then Bernard Ong thrashed Andrey Dolotov 21-14 21-9 in the men's singles in only 22 minutes, before women's singles player Liang Xiaoyu wrapped up the match by beating Viktoriya Dergunova 22-20 21-11 in half an hour.

The men's and women's doubles were both not played.