Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

MD was a very big surprise!

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Some Finals pictures:

Attached Files:

Master likes this.
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    WS pictures:

Attached Files:

Master likes this.
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    More pictures at the Finals:

Attached Files:

Master likes this.
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Finals pictures continued:

DSC_0200.JPG DSC_0206.JPG DSC_0212 Winners.JPG DSC_0254.JPG DSC_0292.JPG DSC_0294.JPG DSC_0219.JPG DSC_0239.JPG DSC_0243.JPG

Master and ant01 like this.
  6. Master

Master Regular Member

This week, in the semifinal of Iran IC, they lost against young INA pair, Adnan Maulana/Ghifari Anandaffa Prihardika with very tight score 28-30, 19-21.

Their match resume: http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/match.aspx?id=05076907-BD2F-4F6A-AECC-613367365893&match=27

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The 28th Iran Fajr International Challenge 2019
    04 - 07 February, Iran
    PRIZE MONEY USD 25,000

Yes, unfortunately, none of our players advanced to the SF of the Iran IC.
    Still lots of hard work for them

8. Master

Master Regular Member

Both Hooi Yu Yann Jaslyn and Danny Bawa Chrisnanta/Loh Kean Hean are the semifinalist there. ;)

BTW, I've just notice that SBA announce the launch of all-new National Ranking System, which is available for all Singapore citizens and permanent residents. There are also some selection criteria released this week.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry, I got a little confused by the results. I think Singapore got 3/4 placing for both WS and MD.

I think the National Ranking System will be good to get those interested to represent Singapore involved in local (and international?) tournaments. It becomes a fairer selection process based on rankings and fewer people can complain about bias/or preferential treatment.

#1289 Loh, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  10. ibelieveindevil

Previously i heard that there will be a national circuit of 5 tournaments at least. So my guess is performances of these 5 tournament will contribute towards national ranking, and at the end of the year, the points will be used as qualifications for next year national open

Loh likes this.
  11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Six months out after surgery? No problem for Tan Wei Han, who goes on a winning run
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/shuttler-tan-in-winning-comeback

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Danny Bawa Chrisnanta and Tan Wei Han in action during the mixed doubles final of the Singapore National Open Championships at the Singapore Badminton Hall last Friday.ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

Published
    Feb 5, 2019, 5:00 am SGT

After 4 wins in 5 outings following return from surgery, she and partner eye Olympics
    Xener Gill
    xenerg@sph.com.sg

After being out for six months owing to a labrum tear, the last thing Singaporean shuttler Tan Wei Han expected when she stepped back onto the badminton court was to go on a winning run.

The odds were also stacked against her because she had a new mixed doubles partner, Danny Bawa Chrisnanta.

"I tried not to put any added pressure on myself," said Tan, when asked about her expectations on her return to action last December.

"I felt that being able to recover and get back into the game was already an accomplishment on its own."

The 26-year-old injured her shoulder in December 2017 but held off surgery because she wanted to play in last April's Commonwealth Games. She finally underwent surgery a month later.

"I knew that I couldn't go on without fixing it, so I didn't have a choice," she said, though she acknowledged that surgery was not necessarily a cure-all.

But since her return, she has partnered Chrisnanta to victories in four of five tournaments.

Their latest conquest came last Friday at the Singapore National Open Championships, where they beat Rizky Hidayat Ismail and Shinta Mulia Sari 21-19, 21-10 in 31 minutes.

Before that, it was last year's Turkey International and this year's Estonian International and the Swedish Open.

The latter two events each had US$10,000 (S$13,500) purses and were part of the Badminton World Federation's international series, a level below the world tour.

"The partnership is good so far though we've just started and Wei Han just got back from her injury so we have to start slow," said Danny.

Tan agrees, adding that they are aiming for bigger tournaments like the US$25,000 Austrian Open and the US$150,000 German Open.

"Aiming for bigger tournaments means more challenges, so we will have to continue to prepare ourselves," she said.

Tan and her previous partner, Terry Hee, had aimed to break into the world's top 10, but he had to enlist for national service.

The most important goal for Tan and Chrisnanta now is Olympic qualification. The pair also hope to win a medal at the Philippines SEA Games.

"We are fighting to get into our best shape as a pair, Danny and Wei Han, and then the results will come," said Chrisnanta.

Master likes this.
  12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/fancied-duo-take-singles-titles

Fancied duo take singles titles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Birthday girl Yeo Jia Min (above) trailed Jaslyn Hooi in both games during the women's singles final of the Singapore National Open Championships last night but, each time, she clawed her way back into contention and eventually victory.ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

Published
    Feb 2, 2019, 5:00 am SGT

Yeo overcomes injured opponent while Loh deals well with pressure following recent feat

Laura Chia
    claura@sph.com.sg

Twice she trailed, at first by four points and then by two but, each time, Yeo Jia Min bounced back to clinch the game, and eventually the match and winner's cheque.

The $1,000 prize for her 21-17, 21-12 victory over Jaslyn Hooi in the women's singles final at the Singapore National Open Championships last night should come in handy today.

Her first national Open title was a fitting birthday marker for Yeo, who turned 20 yesterday, and the world No. 42 added that she would probably use her winnings to give her family members a treat.

She said: "My family said they would celebrate my birthday tomorrow if I won today, so I'm happy that I will get to celebrate then."

World No. 447 Hooi put up a good fight in front of over 200 spectators at the Singapore Badminton Hall despite suffering an abdominal muscle injury in the women's doubles semi-finals on Thursday.

The 18-year-old led 10-6 in the first game, but Yeo fought her way back with powerful smashes to lead 14-13 before winning the first game.

In the second, Hooi was leading 5-3 before the pain worsened, making it difficult for her to stand up straight. Yeo then reeled off the next four points and never looked back.

"(Because of my injury) today a lot of shots I could have gone for, I didn't," said Hooi, who was fourth at the Youth Olympic Games in Argentina in October.

"But I'm still very grateful that I got to play with Jia Min because she's at a higher level than me."

Said Yeo: "I was trying to focus on my game play. I wasn't affected by the score as I focused more on my performance."

Also claiming his first national Open title was world No. 71 Loh Kean Yew, who beat 18-year-old Lee Wei Hong 21-12, 21-17 in the men's singles final.

Loh, 21, said: "I'm happy to play in front of the home crowd and I'm glad that many people came to watch and support so I want to thank them as well."

Admitting that he felt additional pressure after making headlines following his stunning victory over Chinese great Lin Dan in the Thailand Masters last month, he added: "There were a lot expectations from the spectators and from myself, but I tried to manage it well and just tried to enjoy the game as much as possible."

Both Yeo and Loh had spent three months late last year training in Denmark and will be returning to Europe soon to compete as they attempt to qualify for next year's Tokyo Olympics.

Yeo said: "It's very important that I continue improving... In the singles, Kean Yew and I are the ones who will try to make it to the Olympics so I think they (the Singapore Badminton Association and fans) want to see more results from us as well.

"But I don't want to give myself pressure. Every game is a new game so I'll just go in and do my best."

Master likes this.
  13. ibelieveindevil

Waiting to see how our players perform next week, in 3 different tournaments:

Yeo Jia Min and Loh Kean Yew will be playing in the Spain Masters (WT300)
    Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA/LOH Kean Hean and Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA/TAN Wei Han will be playing in Austrian Open (IC)
    while remaining players will be playing in Beer Lao (IS), this includes:
    Citra, PUTRI SARI DEWI / YUN Liang, Jin Yujia/Lim Ming Hui, Jasslyn Hooi, Lee Wei Hong, Sito Jia Rong, Grace Chua, Prakoso, BIMO ADI/Jin Yujia, Toh Janzhou/Abel Tan, all of them getting good results in the national tournament.

lodoss and Loh like this.
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Potential Loh Kean Yew-Lin Dan rematch on the cards in Singapore Open

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew (left) and Lin Dan (right) in the Thailand Masters final (Photo: Edwin Leung)

By Matthew Mohan
    14 Feb 2019 01:41PM (Updated: 14 Feb 2019 01:50PM)

Loh, 21, notched a sensational victory after he beat the two-time Olympic gold medalist and five-time world champion to win the Thailand Masters finals on Jan 13.

Loh's current ranking of 69th in the world should allow him to at least feature in the qualifiers of the Singapore Open, organisers told Channel NewsAsia. Should he progress further, he could potentially face Lin, depending on the tournament's draw.

The tournament, which will be held from Apr 9 to 14, promises to be a star-studded affair, with reigning Olympic men's singles champion Chen Long and 2012 Olympic women's singles champion Li Xuerui among the leading lights.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-singapore-open-rematch-loh-kean-yew-11241966

Attached Files:

Master likes this.
  15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew-Lin Dan showdown could be on the cards at S’pore badminton open
    https://www.todayonline.com/singapo...-showdown-could-be-cards-spore-badminton-open

By Low Lin Fhoong

[​IMG]
    Koh Mui Fong/TODAY

National shuttler Loh Kean Yew is well aware that fans are looking forward to a thrilling battle on the badminton courts if he comes up against China's Lin Dan on home soil.

Published14 February, 2019
    Updated 15 February, 2019

SINGAPORE — Badminton fans here could see a rematch between national shuttler Loh Kean Yew and China’s Lin Dan at the 2019 Singapore Open in April, as two-time Olympic champion Lin has confirmed his participation in the US$355,000 (S$482,000) tournament.

Just last month, Loh — who was then ranked 125th in the world — made headlines when he upset the Chinese superstar en route to claiming the Thailand Masters title.

The 21-year-old Singaporean player is well aware that fans are looking forward to a thrilling battle on the badminton courts if he comes up against Lin on home soil.

“I know a lot of people are looking forward for this possible rematch, but it will really depend on the draw,” said Loh, who is now ranked 69th in the world.

“There are so many top shuttlers coming to the Singapore Open this year, so I have to focus on improving my game and mental strength first. The home support is definitely important but I’m sure Lin Dan has studied my game after that match.

“The draught is very strong in the stadium, so I will need to adapt to it faster than him and any other player in order to perform well and win.”

Five-time world champion Lin will be aiming to clinch his first Singapore Open title to add to his trophy collection. As he is eyeing a third Olympic singles gold medal at the Tokyo Games next year, the 35-year-old also wants to improve on his world No 12 ranking ahead of qualifying.

“I have registered for quite a number of tournaments this year including Singapore Badminton Open. I’m hoping to earn as many points as possible, to improve my ranking. I hope to get mentally prepared before the Olympic qualification period commences,” he said.

Veteran shuttler Lin is one of the top names in the 35-strong Chinese contingent set to compete at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, along with reigning Olympic champion Chen Long (No 4) and Li Xuerui (22), who won the women’s singles title at the 2012 London Olympics.

Li will face tough opposition in her bid for the title here, with the women’s singles’ draw to feature Thai world champion Ratchanok Intanon (8) and India’s Saina Nehwal (9).

Li said: “It’s been a long time since I last competed in Singapore and I’m using this to improve my ranking ahead of the Olympic qualifying period. Qualifying for the Olympics is definitely my target now. I’m building up my stamina and pace, getting ready for the upcoming tournaments when the qualifying period starts.”

Other top players who have confirmed their participation at the April 9 to 14 Singapore Open include reigning Olympic silver medallists Chan Peng Soon and Goh Liu Ying (Malaysia), reigning men’s doubles champions Hendra Setiawan and Mohammad Ahsan (Indonesia) and 2013 Singapore Open men’s singles winner Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia.

Tickets are available via Sports Hub Tix and Apac Tix. Early ticket sales will end on Feb 28.

Master likes this.
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Star shuttlers heading to Singapore
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/others/star-shuttlers-heading-Singapore

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    China's Lin Dan (above) lost to Singapore's Loh Kean Yew at the Thailand Masters final last month. PHOTO: AFP
    [​IMG]
    China's Lin Dan lost to Singapore's Loh Kean Yew (above) at the Thailand Masters final last month. PHOTO: SINGAPORE BADMINTON ASSOCIATION

Lin Dan's participation in Singapore Open raises prospect of rematch with Loh Kean Yew
    Feb 15, 2019 06:00 am

A host of badminton greats, including two-time Olympic gold medallist Lin Dan and 2016 Olympic champion Chen Long, yesterday confirmed their participation in the Singapore Open in April.

The duo will lead a 35-player Chinese contingent which includes the likes of Li Xuerui, who won the women's singles title at the 2012 Olympics.

Lin Dan's participation not only adds glamour to the tournament, but also raises the prospect of a rematch with Singapore's Loh Kean Yew.

Loh, 21, stunned the 35-year-old to win the Thailand Masters in Bangkok last month for his first Badminton World Federation World Tour title.

Whether they will square off at the World Tour Super 500 event at the Singapore Indoor Stadium from April 9 to 14 will depend on next month's draw and how they progress.
    • FYI
      WHAT: Singapore Badminton Open
      WHEN: April 9-14
      WHERE: Singapore Indoor Stadium
      WHO: Some of the world's top badminton players, including the likes of five-time world champion Lin Dan and 2016 Olympic gold medallist Chen Long, will be here. Top women's players include 2012 Olympic champion Li Xuerui, Thailand's Ratchanok Intanon and India's Saina Nehwal.
      TICKETS: Available via apactix.com and sportshubtix.com. Early-bird ticket sales end on Feb 28.
    When asked about possibly playing against the five-time world champion again, world No. 69 Loh said: "I know a lot of people are looking forward for this possible rematch, but it'll really depend on the draw.

"There are so many top shuttlers coming to the Singapore Open this year, so I have to focus on improving my game and mental strength first."

Besides world No. 12 Lin Dan, other notable men's shuttlers who have signed up for the Singapore Open include world No. 4 Chen Long, India's Srikanth Kidambi (No. 8) and Sameer Verma (No. 13), Indonesia's Tommy Sugiarto (No. 10) and Malaysia's Chong Wei Feng (No. 47).

Lin Dan is hoping to rack up the ranking points as he bids to qualify for next year's Tokyo Olympics.

He said in a media release: "I have registered for quite a number of tournaments this year, including the Singapore Open.

"I'm hoping to earn as many points as possible, to improve my ranking. I hope to get mentally prepared before the Olympic qualification period commences."

In the women's draw, China's Li Xuerui, 28, is also hoping that the Singapore Open will provide a stepping stone as she ramps up her bid to qualify for the Olympics.

The former world No. 1 clinched the women's singles title at the London Olympics and reached the Singapore Open final in 2013 and 2014, losing both times to compatriot Wang Yihan.

She said: "It's been a long time since I last competed in Singapore and I'm using this to improve my ranking ahead of the Olympic qualifying period.

"Qualifying for the Olympics is definitely my target now. I'm building up my stamina and pace, getting ready for the upcoming tournaments when the qualifying period starts."

The world No. 22's rivals for the title include Thailand's Ratchanok Intanon (No. 8), who won the 2016 Singapore Open, and India's Saina Nehwal (No. 9), the 2012 Olympic bronze medallist.

Malaysia's two reigning Olympic silver-winning pairs - the mixed duo of Goh Liu Ying and Chan Peng Soon, and men's pair of Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Kiong - will also be here.

Goh and Tan (world No. 13), will face stiff competition from China's Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen (No. 2), and Indonesia's Hendra Setiawan and Mohammad Ahsan (No. 7).

There could be more entrants as shuttlers have until Feb 26 to confirm their participation for the Singapore Open.

Master likes this.
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin Dan-Loh Kean Yew rematch may happen at Singapore Badminton Open
    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/lin-dan-l...appen-singapore-badminton-open-061149025.html

[​IMG]
    Staff Writer, Singapore
    Editorial Team
    Yahoo News Singapore14 February 2019

[​IMG]
    Badminton great Lin Dan has confirmed he will take part in April’s Singapore Badminton Open. (PHOTO: AFP/Johannes Eisele)

A rematch between Singapore’s own Loh Kean Yew and the legendary Lin Dan? It may just happen at the Singapore Badminton Open in April, after Lin confirmed his participation in the World Tour Super 500 event on Friday (15 February).

Lin, a two-time Olympic gold medallist and five-time world champion, will be part of a 35-strong Chinese contingent taking part in the Open, which will be held at the Singapore Indoor Stadium from 9-14 April.

Loh, 21, earned his first Badminton World Federation World Tour title in sensational style in January, beating Lin, one of the greatest shuttlers of all time, in the Thailand Masters final in Bangkok.

Currently ranked 12th in the world, the 35-year-old Lin was hoping to clinch his first title of 2019 at the Thailand Masters, but was stunned by 69th-ranked Loh in straight games.

Crucial period before Olympic qualifying starts
    With the qualifying period for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics starting after the Open, top shuttlers such as Lin will be aiming to pick up ranking points and build up their playing form at the tournament.

In a media release from the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA), he said, “I have registered for quite a number of tournaments this year, including Singapore Badminton Open. I’m hoping to earn as many points as possible, to improve my ranking. I hope to get mentally prepared before the Olympic qualification period commences.”

He will be joined in the men’s singles competition by reigning Olympic champion Chen Long.
    Curiously, both Lin and Chen have yet to win their first Singapore Open titles despite being veterans on the World Tour circuit.

Former champion on comeback trail
    Another Chinese Olympic winner, 2012 London Games women’s singles gold medallist Li Xuerui, will also be taking part in the Singapore Open.

The 28-year-old former world No. 1 is on the comeback trail after a serious anterior cruciate ligament injury suffered in 2016. During her enforced absence, Li’s world ranking fell to No. 242 in April last year.

However, after winning the Korea Masters in December, she has shot up the rankings chart to No. 22.

In the same release from SBA, Li said, “It’s been a long time since I last competed in Singapore and I’m using this to improve my ranking ahead of the Olympic qualifying period.

“Qualifying for the Olympics is definitely my target now. I’m building up my stamina and pace, getting ready for the upcoming tournaments when the qualifying period starts.”

Li will nonetheless face some tough competition in the women’s singles event at the Open, with 2013 world champion Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand and 2012 Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal of India having already confirmed their participations.

Other Olympic medallists who have confirmed their participation include Malaysia’s 2016 mixed doubles silver medallists Goh Liu Ying and Chan Peng Soon, as well as their compatriots, men’s doubles runners-up Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Kiong.

Shuttlers have until 26 February to confirm their entries for the Singapore Open. Tickets are available via Sports Hub Tix and APAC Tix. Early-bird ticket sales end on 28 February.

Master likes this.
  18. cboptkh

cboptkh Regular Member

Local national champion Yeo Jia Min will be playing former olympic champion Li Xuerui in first round of All England next month.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Unlucky!
    But can she do a LKY on LD?
    She will find it more difficult as she is not that fast to maneuver the very experienced LXR.

20. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Loh likes this.