Singapore Open 2006 Qualifying Rounds

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by hcyong, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    there were people expressing disappointment regarding singaporean badminton performance... that they are struggling even in qualification... which leads to discussion of R.S and K.L

2. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

That's ABSOLUTELY what I'm trying to say......

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I also have a badminton court (very nicely done in green) just below my block. The problem is that its windy some times, thats why it put of some younger players to play more. Remember that singapore is an island. Of course cannot compared to danish where it's a national sport (kinda).:D
    rgds

4. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My opinion

Even though there are not as many badminton courts as in Malaysia but still there are courts easily available in Singapore. I have been there and played at so many places while I visited Singapore so court availability definately is not the issue. Hendrick is a part time player, I think he's attending one of the Polytechnic in Singapore hence is hard for him to excel. Malaysia players train as hard as Chinese players except the hungry of winning is not there as they are well paid regardless winning or losing. Also the talent pool is not as deep as China, I think only India can match China if more emphasis in put in this sport and we have seen youngster like Siana emerging in recent tournament.
    For Singapore to do well, more incentive has to be given as the sport itself hardly have any reward ... The Korean reward the althelic by taking care the rest of his/her life if he/she win the Olympic gold, Singapore should do the similar thing. Population is not the key issue as tiny country like Denmark produces so many great players.

5. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

You mean $1 million is not enough? How much are the Koreans getting?

If you win olympic gold and get $1 million now, and invest it and live off, say 5% returns per year which is $50,000 plus income from a day job like coaching I think it's comfortable, plus when you retire, you still have the $1 million principal. Of course, nothing to compared to say a Tennis Pro's earnings from endorsements if he/she wins olympic gold.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17230

6. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    I think singapore government should encourage player to excel in every open tournament...
    like if u win an open u should get like 5grand or something as bonus :p

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    We cannot simply make the assumption that badminton is the national sport of Denmark. I think it isn't. Isn't there a nagging Danish lament that there isn't enough support at home and the players liked to play in Asia because of the passionate crowd. I think football is by far the Dane's national sport.

However, there are more registered badminton players in Denmark than in Malaysia. Go figure.

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The qualifying round for mixed doubles is concluded. Mohd Rizal/Greysia Polii are through to the main draw and will face an Indian pair tomorrow. If they win, they will face the newly crowned Indonesia Open champion Xie Zhongbo/Zhang Yawen in the second round on Thursday.

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It would be a disastrous result if they cannot get to the main draw. In fact, I'm not surprised they are not automatically in the main draw.

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

There is more fun being cocky than being passionate --- you guys don't know how to be cocky:p

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Well..their world ranking is not enough to be in the main draw (with only points from the PO). With pts from PO, IO, and now SO, they should be in the top 50.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    I agree with most of what you say.

Denmark is a first-world country and has been high up in ranking in many areas, social, economic, education, civic society, etc, and of course in sports as well, particularly the lesser known badminton game. The Danes don't need poverty or poor living and social conditions to wake them up.

Look at Peter Gade. Not only is he still European Champion at such a late age, he did this after a lengthy period of recuperation from a very serious Achilles tendon injury! Now this man has overome a great deal of personal sacrifice and tragedy, including losing Camilla Martin. Even now, Peter is a threat to all the world's best players!

How many can make a comeback after all these adversities? Only those with a strong mental toughness and resolve to prove everybody wrong! Only those still having a passion for what they believe in, confidence and self-belief in what they can do and implement the plans that they have set out for themselves to achieve their goals.

Do our boys have some of those qualities that Peter possesses? :cool:

13. jurong_twister

jurong_twister Regular Member

None
    Definitely not. Those who excel in sports are all singaporean imported mercenary players.

They have to stop this practise and let's the home-grown boys playing in those tournaments.

14. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

I guess you haven't been keeping up with the news.

If a Singapore player qualifies for AVIVA OPEN SEMI-FINALS he gets $10,000 bonus. So your suggestion of 5 grand for winning Aviva open is a bit on the low side.

So really, there is no shortage of financial incentives, just shortage of players :D

http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/301/2006/04/11/165@75899.htm

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I need to knock everthing you said above.

How can it be -- population does not matter ? Of course, it does if you have more people, there is a better chance that you will come across someone who would stand up. You are taking Denmark as an example which is different as badminton is almost a national game there as you said (after football). But if you take Singapore, there is less chance that a player of any calibre would come through the rank.

Passion is not the only factor else LOH would be winning the SO and IO:D ! Government support is also important -- the Australian Institute of Sport was formed to promote science into sports and helped Aussies to excel, and that was the factor that produced Ian Thorpe, Klim, etc.

Malaysians play to stay out of 'hellhole' ? What kind of spin is that ? BAM pays pittance and the only way to survive is to win. Your contradiction is obvious --- firstly we play because of passion and then we play because we want to get out of the 'hellhole'.

Sorry - I have to advise you I am not buying anything you said.:( :)

16. hara^kazuko

I agreed with u on this... They probably have to stop importing players from china n indonesia.. We would like to see all true singaoreans on court...

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    And I might add that there are other incentives in place for the national player who represents and does well for Singapore. Just have a look at the SBA website to find out more. Compared to the past, our national players are well-taken care of today, but they must show commitment and bring glory to the country! :D

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Singapore knows they can offer anything because there will be no collection !!!:D :D

It is different in Malaysia coz they know there will be LCW, HF, WCH, KBH. Mana boleh tahan ?:D :rolleyes:

19. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    You are absolutely wrong. The foreign talent scheme's main objective is not to have only foreign talents playing for Singapore, it is to provide more competition. Singaporean players sucks NOT because of a lack of opportunities, but a lack of competition. Do we look like we have no money to send our best players to big tournaments?

The reigning national champion rarely gets threatened in local tournaments and thus will not feel the need to train harder since he will always get the chance to represent Singapore and travel to overseas tournaments. Take a look at those Cheers Championships results, its always those few guys winning locally; the same guys who are perenial punching bags in international tournaments.

China is successful because if you do not do really well, you get dropped from the national team and someone else who is just as good will replace you. Why do you think there are a number of good chinese players going to to France, Germany and Holland?

You simply cannot use coffeeshop theories to look at such issues.

For the better future of Singapore, I would vote to prefer foreign mercenaries than certain narrowminded Singaporeans who tend to think they are everything Singapore only needs and fail to realise that Singapore is built not just by Singaporeans but also by foreign talents throughout all these years; Malaysians, Indonesians, Indians, Chinese, Westerners, etc.

Oh by the way, do not feel too sad if and when you realised that majority of these "foreign mercenaries" actually made more contribution to Singapore than you.

20. hara^kazuko

well, what you have said is certainly true enuff.. but this has gone on too long.. do you realised that singapore has imported foreign players in most of the sports not only badminton? I guess singapore needs more foreign coaches to coach thier national players rather than non stop importing... U have competition, but it doesnt help much on ur improvement.. that's what i think

#40 hara^kazuko, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2006