Singapore Sports Scene

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's underwater hockey teams complete SEA Games clean sweep
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-sing...r-hockey-teams-complete-sea-games-clean-sweep

[​IMG]
    The Singapore women's underwater hockey team celebrating their victory in the 4x4 event on Wednesday. PHOTO: SPORT SINGAPORE
    Narendaren Karnageran
    Dec 06, 2019 06:00 am

Singapore's underwater hockey teams yesterday completed a clean sweep of all four golds in the sport's SEA Games debut.

The men pipped Indonesia 4-3 while the women defeated the Philippines 3-0 in their respective 6x6 finals, adding to their 4x4 titles on Wednesday.

Men's national coach David Lambert believes that the $60,000 bounty that comes with the four-title feat will come in handy to help the sport grow in Singapore.

Under the Singapore National Olympic Council's Major Games Award Programme, a SEA Games gold in the team event, which underwater hockey falls under, is rewarded with $15,000.

Said the 59-year-old Australian: "The golds will bring some publicity to the sport and, with more funds, the Singapore Underwater Federation can put some grassroots down... put some structures in place with the schools to create pathways for athletes to enter our sport."

The prize money will also help defray the costs incurred by the players who have spent an estimated $5,000 in preparation of the Games, said Singapore men's captain Jonathan Chan.

"(Across both squads)... all of us have full-time jobs except two who are still studying... it's physically challenging... the immense sacrifice of personal time and finances makes the win so much sweeter," added the 34-year-old.

Singapore rose beyond the issues of time and finances to bring home the gold at this Games, but the same challenges are proving to be the teams' biggest obstacles ahead of the World Championships in Gold Coast, Australia, next July.

"Again, it will be tough on the players, but it will be up to them to decide if they can make such sacrifices again," said Lambert.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore swimmers bag four golds, as Teong Tzen Wei stuns Schooling
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-sing...bag-four-golds-teong-tzen-wei-stuns-schooling

[​IMG]
    A Singapore 1-2 in the 50m butterfly for Teong Tzen Wei (right) and Joseph Schooling. PHOTO: REUTERS
    [​IMG]
    Elena Pedersen (left) and Christie Chue. PHOTOS: SNOC

1. [​IMG]
    Singapore's surprise winners include Teong, who beats Schooling in 50m fly, and Elena and Chue

Dilenjit Singh
    Sub Editor

It was a night of surprise winners for Singapore at the New Clark City Aquatics Center yesterday as their swimmers unexpectedly matched the four-gold haul from Wednesday.

Fifteen-year-old Elena Pedersen got the night off to a great start in the Philippines, eclipsing Vietnamese golden girl Nguyen Thi Anh Vien - who plundered eight golds at the last Games - in the 50m backstroke.

Like Elena, Christie Chue, 19, also grabbed her first individual Games gold, winning the 200m breaststroke in a meet-record time.

But the biggest surprise came in the 50m butterfly, where Joseph Schooling lost his first SEA Games race since 2011 to compatriot Teong Tzen Wei.

Schooling, 24, the 100m gold medallist from the 2016 Rio Olympics, has not been beaten in an individual race at the Games since he made his debut as a 16-year-old in Indonesia.

Teong had finished just 0.04 seconds behind him at the Hancock Prospecting Australian Short Course Swimming Championships in Melbourne in October, and yesterday he beat Schooling by 0.06sec after touching the wall in 23.55.

Indonesia's Victor Glenn Sutanto was third in 23.84.

Not that Singapore's only Olympic gold medallist - whose national record in the event is 22.93sec - was too upset by the end of his winning streak.

Said Schooling: "It was a hard race. Kudos to Tzen Wei, he really had a great start.

"I was playing catch-up from the start, but overall, I gave it my best and sometimes that's the result.

"Who doesn't get disappointed when they lose? But, at the same time, it's good to see my teammate up there...

"I'd rather have him ahead of me than anybody else.

"The 100m fly tomorrow, (I'll) just try to do my best in that and try to make the Olympics. If I do, I'd be very happy."

Teong, who signalled his intent with the fastest time in the heats (23.92), highlighted that his "brother" Schooling has beaten him many more times than vice versa.

Said the 22-year-old: "I treat him like a real brother, we train (together) every day.

"I've just got this one but he's got many ahead of me.

"It's great swimming with Singapore's best sportsman. I'm glad for this performance and I'm just happy Singapore got the one-two...

"In my mind, I wanted both of us to tie for gold, that would have been the sweetest."

Elena, meanwhile, was clearly not expecting her 0.24sec win against the most bemedalled athlete of the last Games.

After her 29.40sec effort, the teen did not seem to realise what she had achieved, breaking into a shy smile only seconds later.

Said the Swimfast Aquatic Club swimmer: "I didn't expect this, but I'm really happy that it happened.

"I would like to thank my coach (Eugene Chia) for helping me achieve this."

Chue also beat a 2017 Games champion in Thailand's Phiangkhwan Pawapotako.

She said her Games record of 2min 28.71sec had given her confidence of making the cut for Tokyo 2020.

The Olympic "A" qualifying time for the 200m breaststroke is 2:25.52.

Said Chue: "Seeing that I broke the meet record was really a shock. I was just thinking of doing a sub-2:30.

"Very proud because I haven't been training the 200m breast in a long time, maybe only since the end of last year.

"Seeing how I can improve in a short period of time really gives me the confidence to try to qualify for the 2020 (Olympics)."

She set another Games record later in the night, combining with Gan Ching Hwee, Quah Ting Wen and Quah Jing Wen to lower the 4x200m freestyle relay national mark of 8:08:44 by 1.44sec.

Singapore's medallists yesterday
    GOLD

• Hazim Yusli (silat, men’s tanding class B)
    • Nazri Sutari (sambo, men’s combat, U-82kg)
    • Women’s 6x6 underwater hockey team
    • Men’s 6x6 underwater hockey team
    • Elena Pedersen (swimming, women’s 50m back)
    • Teong Tzen Wei (swimming, men’s 50m fly)
    • Christie Chue (swimming, women’s 200m breast)
    • Gan Ching Hwee, Quah Ting Wen, Quah Jing Wen, Christie Chue, (swimming, women’s 4x200m free)
    SILVER
    • Ashvin Singh (sambo, men’s combat, U-74kg)
    • Gary Chow (sambo, men’s combat, U-82kg)
    • Joseph Schooling (swimming, men’s 50m fly)
    • Darren Chua (swimming, 200m IM)
    • Aloysius Yapp/Toh Lian Han (billiards and snooker, men’s 9-ball pool doubles)
    • Luo Yiwei (road cycling, women’s individual time trial)
    • Emma Middleditch, Ahmad Arif Ibrahim, Herlene Yu, Nicholas Rachmadi (duathlon, mixed team relay)
    BRONZE
    • Shermaine Tung (modern pentathlon, women’s individual beach biathle, laser run)
    • Marcus Ong (modern pentathlon, men’s individual beach biathle, laser run)
    • Adele Tan/Emmanuel Chan (shooting, mixed 10m air rifle)
    • Goh Choon Huat (road cycling, men’s individual time trial)
    • Jolie Lee (fencing, women’s individual sabre)
    • Ace Ang (judo, men’s U-73kg)
    • Kingsley Ang/Lim Chun Kiat (billiards and snooker, men’s snooker doubles)

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Schooling and Zheng Wen bring out the best in each other

[​IMG]
    Quah Zheng Wen and Joseph Schooling congratulating each other after their close finish in the 100m butterfly final.PHOTO: AFP

Tan Kim Han
    Dec 06, 2019 10:26 pm

Joseph Schooling and Quah Zheng Wen acknowledged that their rivalry in the pool has brought out the best in each other, after both swimmers qualified for next year's Tokyo Olympics with their 1-2 finish in the SEA Games 100m butterfly final on Friday (Dec 6).

Racing next to each other in lanes four and five of the New Clark City Aquatic Center, Quah held a 0.28sec lead at the turn. But Schooling produced a magnificent finish in the last 10 metres to win in 51.84sec, pipping Quah by a mere 0.03 seconds. Vietnam's Le Nguyen Paul was third in 53.89sec.

Quah's 51.87sec effort – his personal best – was enough for him to join Schooling in meeting the Olympics "A" qualifying mark of 51.96sec.

Just minutes later, Quah, 23, was back in the pool, retaining his 200m backstroke title in a Games record of 2min 0.06sec. Then, together with Darren Chua, Jonathan Tan and Schooling, he won his fourth gold medal of the Games in the 4x100m freestyle relay, also in a Games record of 3min 16.82sec.

On Wednesday, the same quartet had also won the 4x200m freestyle relay, after Quah met the Olympic qualifying mark for the 100m backstroke by winning the event in 53.79sec.

Said Quah, a third-year student at the University of California, Berkeley: "It's always fun racing Joe, I haven't raced him in a while. He's back home... and I'm in California. But I always know he's working hard over here... We did a good job pushing each other to get that 'A' cut."

Schooling, 24, shared similar sentiments, saying: "Like Zheng Wen said, it's always fun to get up and race against each other. Haven't done that in a while. I don't think I'd have gone as fast as I did if I didn't have this guy next to me.

"For him to come up and step up for three events for tonight and do best times... back to back and in the span of like an hour and 10 (minutes), that's pretty darn impressive.

"So kudos to him, he's been having the best meet out of all of us so far, and we're just trying to follow his example.

"But the most important thing was to get that 'A' cut and now, we have a seven-month period, we've got some time and I'm happy to be able to accomplish what I've set out to do tonight."

While Schooling's effort was still some way off from his Olympic-winning time of 50.39sec in 2016, it's a marked improvement compared to the 52.93sec that he clocked at the World Championships in July.

In the women's 50m breaststroke, Christie Chue won the bronze with her personal best of 31.43sec, which saw her finish behind Malaysia's Phee Jinq En (31.40) and Thailand's Jenjira Srisa-Ard (31.41).

Chue, 19, who won the 200m breaststroke title the previous day, admitted that she had rushed in the last 10 metres.

When asked about being just 0.03sec behind the winner, she said: "I didn't really think about it because I know I still lack a little bit in strength and I still can't really sprint, so I'm still working on it. But I think overall the time, I'm still really happy about it."

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's women bowlers reclaim SEA Games team title after 8 years

[​IMG]
    (From left) Shayna Ng, Cherie Tan, Daphne Tan and New Hui Fen with their women's team gold medals.PHOTO: SINGAPORE BOWLING FEDERATION

Dec 06, 2019 07:38 pm

Singapore's bowlers regained the SEA Games women's team title after an eight-year wait, thanks to a strong second-block showing at the Coronado Lanes in Manila on Friday (Dec 6).

Trailing the Philippines by 19 pinfalls after the first block of three games, the quartet of New Hui Fen, Shayna Ng, Daphne Tan and Cherie Tan rallied to finish top in the next three.

They racked up 4,833 pinfalls, holding off the challenge of defending champions Malaysia (4,803), as the Filipinos slipped to third (4,735).

"It's really sweet because we've been losing to Malaysia for the past couple of times, so to finally beat them this time around is redemption for all of us," said Cherie.

The quartet were part of the gold-winning team in 2011, with Jasmine Yeong-Nathan and Jazreel Tan completing the line-up.

Bowling was not contested in the 2013 edition in Myanmar and, in the 2015 edition on home soil, the team narrowly missed retaining the gold by 55 pinfalls, losing to Malaysia.

In the 2017 edition in Kuala Lumpur, they lost to Malaysia again.

Not surprisingly, that was the gold that they wanted the most, a point made by New even after she won the women's singles title on Tuesday.

New said: "I really want to thank the team for turning up today."

Meanwhile, in the men's team event, the quartet of Alex Chong, Jaris Goh, Basil Ng and Cheah Ray Han finished fifth out of eight teams with 4,652 pinfalls. Malaysia (4,980), Philippines (4,937) and Thailand (4,896) finished in the top three.

The keglers can add to their medal haul over the weekend, where the Masters events will take place.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's women foil fencers clinch team gold

[​IMG]
    (From left) The Singapore women's foil team of Tatiana Wong, Maxine Wong, Denyse Chan and Amita Berthier.PHOTO: SNOC
    Dec 06, 2019 03:50 pm
    Singapore's women fencers have won the team foil title after the trio of Amita Berthier, Maxine Wong, Tatiana Wong and Denyse Chan defeated Vietnam's Nguyen Thu Phuong, Do Thi Anh, Nguyen Thi Thu Phuong and Luu Thanh Nhan 45-29 at the World Trade Center in Manila on Friday (Dec 6).

This is the Republic's third fencing gold at these Games, after Berthier won the women's individual foil title and Kiria Tikanah Abdul Rahman clinched the women's individual epee crown.

Singapore had also won the women's team foil title on home soil in 2015, when the quartet of Wang Wenying, Cheryl Wong, Nicole Wong and Liane Wong defeated their Vietnamese counterparts.

The team event was not contested at the 2017 Games in Kuala Lumpur.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Fencing and MMA help Nazri Sutari win SEA Games gold in sambo

[​IMG]
    Singapore's Nazri Sutari (in blue) celebrates after defeating Indonesia's Jason Sim. PHOTO: REUTERS
    Former fencer fulfils SEA Games dream - in combat sport that's making its debut

Marielle Descalsota
    Mixed martial artist turned combat sambo fighter Nazri Sutari claimed Singapore's first SEA Games gold medal in sambo at the Angeles University Foundation Gymnasium yesterday.

The national kickboxing coach defeated Indonesia's Jason Sim 10-2 to clinch the men's combat Under-82kg title.

Singapore also won two silvers through Ashvin Singh and Gary Chow yesterday.

Singh lost 8-0 to the Philippines' Mark Striegl in the men's combat Under-74kg final, while Chow, who had represented Singapore in judo, was beaten 4-1 by the Philippines' Chino Sy in the Under-82kg final.

Nazri's sambo gold is the first ever awarded at the SEA Games as the sport makes its debut.

His win is more remarkable as he came into the sport only this year, after being scouted by the sambo division of the Wrestling Federation of Singapore to represent the Republic at the biennial Games.

"I didn't expect to win the gold, nor did I have any big expectations," the former national fencer told The New Paper in a phone interview.

"It's the best way to end the year. My journey has been unbelievable; it feels like a movie."

Nicknamed "Porkchop" because of his physique as a teenager, the athlete credits his work ethic, and mixed martial arts (MMA) and fencing background for his victory.

He started his fencing journey after picking up the sabre at 13. In 2010, he represented Singapore at the Southeast Asia Fencing Championships before enlisting for national service.

The 29-year-old said: "I've trained a lot. Fencing helped me develop my speed and footwork, and MMA makes me a well-rounded fighter, which is important in sambo."

Despite being a sambo champion, Nazri is adamant his passion still lies in MMA.

"I'm really excited to have won gold, but I still want to compete in MMA," the Singapore Polytechnic alumnus said.

"I don't have any specific goals, but I want to continue to compete in the highest level of sport."

Singh and Chow both expressed disappointment in their losses, as they had aimed for the gold.

"I thought I was the best man in my division," said Singh, who has a background in jiu-jitsu and boxing.

The 28-year-year old began jiu-jitsu in his teens, and MMA five years ago.

His strategy was to focus on submission, but his opponent played a tactical match.

"I'm disappointed... my opponent focused on points. I played to make him submit, and I still believe I was the better fighter."

For Chow, gold remains elusive.

The former judoka had won a silver in the 2013 Games in Myanmar, and a bronze two years later on home soil.

MISTAKE
    "I made the mistake of giving away too many penalties, so I'm disappointed. Every competition I play, I aim for gold," the full-time judo coach said.

"I joined sambo as many of my friends are in the sport, and I was losing motivation in judo.

"My heart will always lie with judo but I thought it was the time to transition (to sambo). The only option for me was to win gold here in Manila."

Chow continues his hunt for gold in the mixed team event today. He said: "Every match, my mind is always on the gold. I'm going to give it my all and continue to persevere."

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Medal tally
    Rank Country

1 Philippines 71 55 50 176
    2 Indonesia 40 41 47 128
    3 Vietnam 38 41 52 131
    4 Singapore 32 22 36 90
    5 Malaysia 28 20 29 77
    6 Thailand 23 36 43 102
    7 Myanmar 2 10 24 36
    8 Cambodia 2 4 17 23
    9 Brunei 1 5 5 11
    10 LAOS 0 3 12 15
    11 Timor-Leste

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    • 38 years after her first SEA Games, a former Singapore swimmer finally strikes gold – in a different sport[​IMG]

• [​IMG]
    Underwater hockey player Christina Tham poses with her gold medals at the SEA Games 2019. (Photo: Christina Tham)
    • By Matthew Mohan @MatthewMohanCNA
      06 Dec 2019 01:10AM (Updated: 06 Dec 2019 03:56PM)

• MANILA: It’s been a wait that has spanned close to four decades, but in the space of just two days, underwater hockey player Christina Tham has finally struck gold - not once, but twice.
      • “Victory felt unbelievable,” Tham told CNA after winning her first gold on Wednesday (Dec 4).

• “Winning the (first) gold in the third SEA Games after winning two silvers - unbelievable.” A former national swimmer, she represented Singapore at the 1981 SEA Games, aged 12, and the next Games two years later.

• At her first Games, she claimed a silver in the 4x100 medley relay and followed that up with a silver in the 200m breaststroke in 1983.
        • [​IMG]
          Underwater hockey player Christina Tham was a former swimmer for Singapore. (Photo: Elvie Hau)

• But a gold eluded her until 36 years later, when Singapore claimed victory in the women’s underwater hockey 4x4 competition on Wednesday.

“It feels incredible, awesome, unbelievable. I don’t know if anyone else has done or is doing what I’m doing,” said Tham, now 50.

“I hope that it also sends a message out to everyone that age is really just a number and that you are only as old as you feel.”

She would follow up the 4x4 gold with another one in the 6x6 event on Thursday as Singapore beat Philippines 3-0.

Tham was fresh off completing her Primary School Leaving Examinations when she competed in her first Games in Manila.

“I made it to the team because I was the fastest breaststroker in Singapore,” recalled Tham.

“I was in awe of the then golden girl Junie Sng. We stayed - all of us - in the same dormitory in the Games village.”

Two years later, Tham competed in front of her home crowd at the 1983 Games.

[​IMG]
        The underwater hockey team celebrates winning their second gold medal on Thursday. (Photo: Lau Mun Hoi)

“When you’re on home ground, the stakes become a lot higher,” she said. “I was swimming, and swimming is one of those sports which are expected to always push up the medal tally. All eyes are on it.”

It was not till 2005 that Tham picked up underwater hockey, after reading an advertisement in a local newspaper.

“I decided to pick it up because it would leverage on my swimming ability plus it would challenge me in a team sport, as opposed to an individual sport,” she explained.

“I think it’s usually quite difficult for individual sportspeople to go into a team sport and I wanted to do that because I felt that in life, it’s really about getting success by learning to work with people.

“There’s that saying that if you want to go fast, you go on your own, but if you want to go long, then you go with your team.”

[​IMG]
        Christina Tham (centre) with members of her underwater hockey team. (Photo: Christina Tham)

Despite being a swimmer, picking up underwater hockey was not simple, she explained.

“Making the transition is actually not very easy - as hard as swimming is - all those laps and all those hours going to the gym, underwater hockey was really difficult to pick up,” she said.

“It has taken many years of refining the skill because it’s really a combination of fitness - both aerobic and anaerobic, as well as skills ... speed teamwork, knowing how each of your other teammate plays so that you can just predict the move and follow up that move.”

This is the first time the sport has featured in the SEA Games, and Tham called it a “dream come true” to be able to compete in the Philippines.

“It was absolutely awesome when we found out that underwater hockey would feature in this Games. It was like a dream come true - I always wanted underwater hockey to be in SEA Games,” she said.

“We have played underwater hockey in the world championships but, I think, to get the recognition of the SNOC for this sport was something that I thought was a dream and would not happen.

“And when it did happen, nothing would stop us from working hard to compete in it and to get the gold.”

[​IMG]
        The Singapore women's underwater hockey team won gold at the SEA Games 2019. (Photo: SNOC)

Prior to returning to the Philippines, Tham - who is the oldest member of the women’s underwater hockey side - would get stunned reactions from most when told she would be competing at the Games again.

“Ninety-nine per cent of the reactions is one of incredulity. People take a while to get it, that I’m actually doing this,” Tham, who works as a lawyer, said.

“My company Cromwell Property Group has been very supportive of my time away training. My family, my mum - she’s still the swimmer’s mum - asking questions like how swimmers’ parents do.

“My husband, of course, is incredibly proud of me and all my old swimmer friends are just so stoked.”

The competition gave Tham an opportunity to test herself.

“Last year when I knew I was going to turn 50 this year, I wanted to prove to myself that I’m still fit, I’m still strong and I thought that there’s no better benchmark than to compete at the SEA Games in a very tough sport like underwater hockey,” she said.

“I’m so stoked that my level of fitness and my level of speed is very high, can’t really tell much of a difference between now and say, 10 years ago. But I would say the recovery time is a little bit longer.”

[​IMG]
        Underwater hockey was invented in the 1950s in Britain - where it is known as "Octopush". (Photo: AFP/Mohd Rasfan)

She is also hoping that the win will raise the profile of the sport in Singapore.

“I hope everybody in Singapore now knows what underwater hockey is about,” she explained.

“And I hope we can get more support for the sport because you will not believe how much work, hard work, all of us have made, how much sacrifices all of us have made to get the gold.”

Having now won gold twice, Tham counts herself “third time lucky”.

“I’m really, really just over the moon, getting this gold, being able to go back to Singapore, go back to my office, go back to my family, my friends, to show them the fruits of the hard work that myself and my team have reaped,” she said.

“Coming on to this Games, my hockey mates were teasing me, saying that maybe I would be third time lucky.

“Indeed, I have been third time lucky.”

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-hockey-gold-swimming-christina-tham-12157126

#428 Loh, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hazim Yusli wins silat's second gold at 30th SEA Games

[​IMG]
    Hazim Yusli (with blue sash) on his way to beating Vietnam's Nguyen Dinh Tuan. PHOTO: SPORT SINGAPORE

ADEENA NAGIB

Silat's Hazim Yusli clinched a gold medal on his SEA Games debut by beating Vietnam's Nguyen Dinh Tuan 4-1 in the men's Class B (50-55kg) tanding (match) final yesterday.

The 18-year-old, who sealed victory with a side-kick to Nguyen's chest in the last 10 seconds, capped a perfect 2019 in which he was crowned the Sportsboy of the Year after winning gold at last December's World Championships.

"I feel overwhelmed because it was a close match and I had to fight till the last second," he said, in a phone interview.

"It is a memorable competition because it's my first SEA Games and I'm happy to be a champion."

Singapore's silat exponents garnered two golds, a silver and two bronzes at the Subic Bay Exhibition and Convention Center to finish joint-second with Vietnam, behind champions Indonesia.

On Monday, the men's artistic team of Nazrul Kamal, Nujaid Hasif and Hamillatu Arash had won a gold.

At the 2017 Games in Malaysia, the Republic won two golds, four silvers and six bronzes.

This year's Games featured fewer match categories, with only the lighter weight classes contested.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: Historic gold for Singapore golfer James Leow

[​IMG]
    James Leow wins the first gold for Singapore in the individual golf tournament since 1989.

Published 6 December, 2019

CLARK — Golfer James Leow won the men's individual tournament at the SEA Games on Friday (Dec 6), bringing home Singapore's first gold in the category in 30 years.

Leow hit a seven under par 65 in the final round of the tournament at the Luisita Golf and Country Club. His overall 13 under par score of 203 placed him top of the leaderboard by 1 stroke at the end of competition in a field of 38.

Competing at the SEA Games for the first time, Leow is Singapore's highest ranked male player in the World Amateur Golf Rankings.

At the 2017 SEA Games, Singapore bagged gold in the team event and Marc Ong won silver in the individual category.
    Singapore last won individual gold for golf at the SEA Games when Samson Gimson won the tournament in Kuala Lumpur in 1989.

Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/sea-games-historic-gold-singapore-golfer-james-leow

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Fencing: Singapore win SEA Games gold in men’s team foil

[​IMG]
    Team Singapore's fencers won gold at the SEA Games 2019 men’s team foil final on Saturday (Dec 7). (Photo: SNOC)

By Matthew Mohan
    @MatthewMohanCNA
    07 Dec 2019 05:44PM (Updated: 07 Dec 2019 07:38PM)

MANILA: Team Singapore's fencers won yet another gold at the SEA Games, this time in the men’s team foil final on Saturday (Dec 7).

The team of Darren Tan, Jet Ng, Joshua Lim and Kevin Chan beat Thailand 45-26 at the World Trade Center in Manila, bringing the fencing team’s gold medal tally to four.

This is the first gold won by Singapore’s male fencers after golds for Amita Berthier, Kiria Tikanah Abdul Rahman and the women’s team foil.

Earlier in the day, Singapore claimed a silver in the women's team epee final after a defeat to the Philippines.

The women’s team comprised Cheryl Lim, Rebecca Ong, Victoria Lim and Kiria Tikanah Abdul Rahman.

Earlier in the day, Singapore claimed a silver in the women's team epee final after a defeat to the Philippines.

The women’s team comprised Cheryl Lim, Rebecca Ong, Victoria Lim and Kiria Tikanah Abdul Rahman.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ing-singapore-win-gold-men-team-foil-12163518

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ‘I hope we can keep building on that’: Singapore’s young swimmers smash records at SEA Games

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hard-earned gold for Darren Chua, who beat defending champion Welson Sim in the men’s 200m freestyle at the 2019 SEA Games on Dec 7. (Photo: Matthew Mohan

By Matthew Mohan
    @MatthewMohanCNA
    07 Dec 2019 10:11PM (Updated: 07 Dec 2019 10:36PM)

NEW CLARK CITY, Philippines: Singapore’s young swimming stars continued to make their mark in the SEA Games, with debutant Darren Chua the headline act with a gold in the 200m freestyle on Saturday (Dec 7).

On the fourth day of competition at the New Clark City Aquatic Complex, 19-year-old Chua beat Malaysia’s defending champion Welson Sim, clocking 1:48.26 for a new personal best.

This is Chua’s third gold in the Games, after wins in the 4x100m freestyle and 4x200m freestyle relays.

“I wasn’t expecting anything. I was pretty nervous getting into this race, it was one of the hardest race I’ve ever swam,” Chua told reporters.

“I was expecting a podium finish, but it didn’t matter if I got first, second or third. I just wanted to swim my best - that’s it.”

In the women’s 400m freestyle, 16-year-old Gan Ching Hwee also clocked a personal best to clinch a silver medal.

Eighteen-year-old Maximilian Ang too set a personal best as well as a new national record with a time of 2:13.96 in the 200m breaststroke, taking home the bronze medal.

“After today, I’m beginning to see some of the depth come through,” said National Training Centre head coach Gary Tan.

“These guys are all young up and coming, so we’ve got a good depth of kids coming through. (I) just hope we can keep building on that.”

It was also a day to remember for swimmer Quah Ting Wen, who she won the women’s 50m butterfly with a Games record time of 26.50.

[​IMG]
    Maximillian Ang competes in the 200m breaststroke at the 2019 SEA Games on Dec 7. He claimed a bronze, and set a personal best and a national record. (Photo: Matthew Mohan)

[​IMG]
    Quah Ting Wen reacts after her win in the 50m fly at the SEA Games on Dec 7, 2019. (Photo: Matthew Mohan)

Later in the evening, Quah joined forces with younger sister Jing Wen, Cherlyn Yeoh and Amanda Lim to win gold in the women’s 4x100m freestyle relay. They also set a new Games and national record.

[​IMG]
    Singapore's 4x100m freestyle relay team react after Amanda Lim touched home at the SEA Games on Dec 7, 2019. (Photo: Matthew Mohan)

Singapore’s swimmers have now won 14 gold medals.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ngapore-young-swimmers-smash-records-12163986

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    [​IMG]
    Sailing: Ryan Lo wins SEA Games gold, retains title

[​IMG]
    Singapore sailor Ryan Lo won gold in the men’s laser standard at the SEA Games on Dec 7, 2019. (Photo: SNOC)

By Matthew Mohan @MatthewMohanCNA
    07 Dec 2019 10:34PM (Updated: 07 Dec 2019 10:40PM)

NEW CLARK CITY, Philippines: Singapore sailor Ryan Lo won gold in the men’s laser standard on Saturday (Dec 7) at the Subic Bay Yacht Club, retaining his SEA Games title.

Lo’s total of nine points after eight races meant that he finished first out of five competitors in the fleet.

Just last year, Lo clinched a bronze medal in the same event at the 2018 Asian Games.

Singapore’s sailing team also picked up three silvers on Saturday through Radiance Koh in the women’s optimist (under 16), Kenan Tan in the men’s optimist (under 16) and Victoria Chan in the women’s laser radial.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...sailing-singapore-ryan-lo-gold-medal-12163604

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Medal tally

1 Philippines 89 67 65 221
    2 Indonesia 50 49 58 157
    3 Vietnam 45 50 64 159
    4 Thailand 41 55 60 156
    5 Singapore 37 30 41 108
    6 Malaysia 36 28 42 106
    7 Myanmar 3 11 33 47
    8 Cambodia 2 4 18 24
    9 Brunei 1 5 5 11
    10 LAOS 0 3 13 16
    11 Timor-Leste

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore win historic softball SEA Games gold

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Singapore men's softball team celebrate their historic gold at the 2019 SEA Games on Sunday Dec 8, 2019. (Photo: Sport Singapore)

08 Dec 2019 12:39PM (Updated: 08 Dec 2019 12:40PM)

NEW CLARK CITY, Philippines: Singapore men’s softball team clinched a historic gold medal on Sunday (Dec 8) after they upset hosts Philippines 6-1 in the final at The Villages.

This is the first gold medal won by a Singapore softball team at the SEA Games. The best ever finish for the nation at the Games was a silver clinched by the women’s team in 2007.

The Singapore men’s and women’s teams finished with a bronze medal in 2015, while the Singapore men’s team also bagged bronze in 2011.

The men’s team had faced Philippines twice in the tournament - first losing 0-8 to them in the round robin before beating them in the semi-finals 4-3 to secure an automatic spot to the finals.

But due to the page system format of the tournament, Philippines then beat Indonesia 9-0 to set up a finals clash with Singapore.

This is Singapore’s 37th gold at the 30th SEA Games.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...9-singapore-wins-first-softball-gold-12165076

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ‘We’ve managed to topple a giant’: First the weeding, then the winning for Singapore’s men’s softball team

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Singapore men's softball team celebrate their historic gold at the 2019 SEA Games on Sunday Dec 8, 2019. (Photo: Sport Singapore)

09 Dec 2019 06:49AM (Updated: 09 Dec 2019 07:11AM)

NEW CLARK CITY, Philippines: No permanent home turf. No proper lighting. No excuses.

The Singapore men’s softball team trained in less than ideal conditions prior to the 2019 SEA Games but emerged with the most ideal outcome on Sunday (Dec 8) when they beat Philippines 6-1 to clinch gold.
    This is Singapore’s first softball gold in the history of the Games.

In doing so, the team broke the dominance of the Philippines whose men’s team had won the gold medal at the SEA Games all but once.

“It’s definitely not easy and I think we’ve managed to topple a giant this year,” said captain Ivan Ng. “It’s no easy feat for any of us but I think the team stuck through together and made sure we battled through. We are just so happy.”

The team has had to surmount stacked odds to achieve the giant-killing feat.

• [​IMG]
    • Singapore men's softball team celebrate their historic gold at the 2019 SEA Games on Sunday Dec 8, 2019. (Photo: Sport Singapore)

After having to vacate their previous homeground at Kallang, they have been training at the Farrer Park fields since last year.

“It was very tough, it was a ground that was not ideal at all, because there’s a lot potholes and stuff. But at least we have a ground to train (at),” said head coach Diamond So.

This meant having to do things like weeding and flattening the ground to get it ready for practices, added Ng.

“It’s not the easiest of places because of the lighting ... but also because of the terrain, the ground and we had a couple of minor injuries here and there,” he added.

“Our manager and our NSA (National Sport Association) were resourceful enough to get lighting, and the players did our part in weeding the ground and flattening the ground. Pretty much a lot of self-help.”

• [​IMG]
      Singapore men's softball team at the 2019 SEA Games on Sunday Dec 8, 2019. (Photo: Sport Singapore)

But this did not deter the team in pursuit of their gold, said Ng.

“We worked with our resources, the lighting and all. (We) brought in generators, pushed them in from one end of the field of another - whatever we could make use of,” said Ng.

“We try not to make any excuses for ourselves, we just make the best of it and train hard.”

Even before the Games, the team were seeing their efforts bear fruit.

At the Men’s Softball World Championship earlier this year, the team beat regional powerhouses Philippines.

“We first set sights on our gold medal right from our world championships earlier in June,” explained Ng. “When we beat them 4-3, we kind of knew there was a chance and to do so in their homeground, we knew it wasn’t going to be easy but we were up for the fight.”

But first, they had to overcome an 8-0 loss in the round-robin to the Philippines.

“We knew that we didn’t get a good start in that game for sure,” said Ng.

“As much as the victory went to them, I’m quite sure that they were well aware that they didn’t get any good hits off us. We weren’t at our top form as well ... When we did our own reviews, we were much more ready for the playoff games.”

[​IMG]

The team rebounded back to beat the Philippines in the semi-finals 4-3 to secure an automatic spot to the finals.

“When we won the playoff match ... we kind of knew we had a chance to go all the way out and make sure that we bring the gold back to Singapore and make history,” added Ng. “So the boys were all ready for battle right from the start.”

They called their victory “a dream come true”.

“I would say this is a dream come true, not only a dream that we had, the main thing is everyone who plays softball had this dream,” he said.

“(It was) not only my coaches - all the players, everyone that plays softball in Singapore wanted this win.”

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/sea-games-2019-singapore-softball-men-gold-12165992

#436 Loh, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: Darren Chua wins 100m freestyle, beats defending champion Joseph Schooling

[​IMG]
    Composite image of Darren Chua (left) and Joseph Schooling. (Photo: Matthew Mohan, Reuters)

@MatthewMohanCNA
    08 Dec 2019 07:25PM (Updated: 09 Dec 2019 12:05AM)

NEW CLARK CITY, Philippines: Joseph Schooling was beaten by teammate Darren Chua to the 100m freestyle title on Sunday (Dec 8) at the SEA Games, failing to defend his crown.

Schooling’s timing of 49.64 at the New Clark City Aquatic Complex meant that he was 0.05s behind Chua (49.59), who claimed gold.

Earlier in the day, Schooling finished third in the heats with a time of 50.37.
    • Schooling won an individual gold in the 100m butterfly at the Games, clocking a time of 51.84.

Earlier in the competition, Schooling was upset by compatriot Teong Tzen Wei in the 50m butterfly and had to settle for silver.

There were more victories for Singapore’s swimmers in the day's other races.

Lionel Khoo won a historic gold and broke the SEA Games record in the 50m breaststroke final with a time of 28.15.

He became the first Singaporean male to clinch a breaststroke gold at the Games since Ng Yue Meng's victory in 1989.

In the women's 50m freestyle event, Amanda Lim took home gold as she broke the Games record by clocking a personal best of 25.06.

Capping the day's medal haul with a fourth gold was the women's team in the 4x100m medley relay.

Quah siblings Jing Wen and Ting Wen, Elena Pedersen and Christie May Chue broke both the Games and national records with a time of 4:07.05.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...rren-chua-joseph-schooling-freestyle-12165250

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's Noah Lim wins jiu-jitsu gold at sport's SEA Games debut

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Singapore's Noah Lim celebrates after winning the men's jiu-jitsu ne-waza less 62kg against Thailand in the SEA Games on Dec 9, 2019. (Photo: SNOC/Andy Chua)
    09 Dec 2019 05:53PM (Updated: 09 Dec 2019 06:21PM)

• SINGAPORE: Singapore’s Noah Lim won a SEA Games gold medal in jiu-jitsu on Monday (Dec 9), as the sport made its debut at the regional competition.

Lim beat Thailand’s Suwijak Kuntong by submission in the less 62kg ne-waza category, claiming Singapore’s first SEA Games gold in the sport.

Also on Monday, Singapore's Benjamin Chia lost to the Philippines' Dean Michael Roxas and had to settle for the silver medal in the men's less 85kg category, while Teh May Yong clinched a bronze in the women's less 49kg category against Indonesia's Nura Amalia.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...iu-jitsu-gold-singapore-martial-arts-12167680

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Medal tally
    Rank Country

1 Philippines 136 102 106 344
    2 Thailand 84 90 102 276
    3 Vietnam 79 78 93 250
    4 Indonesia 69 76 102 247
    5 Malaysia 51 52 67 170
    6 Singapore 50 43 59 152
    7 Cambodia 4 6 31 41
    8 Myanmar 3 18 48 69
    9 Brunei 2 5 6 13
    10 LAOS 0 5 23 28
    11 Timor-Leste 0 1 5 6

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    2 Singapore swimmers break Schooling's SEA Games record in 50m freestyle

Published09 December, 2019
    Updated 09 December, 2019

NEW CLARK CITY (The Philippines) — Singapore swimmers Jonathan Tan and Teong Tzen Wei both clocked the same time (22.46) in the men's 50m freestyle heats to set a joint-new SEA Games record on Monday (Dec 9).

Swimming in two different heats, both of them managed to eclipse the 22.47 set by Joseph Schooling at the 2015 Games in Singapore.

This also means that Teong, the defending champion in the event, equals the national record set by Tan earlier this year.

Tan, 17, and Teong, 22, have qualified for the finals of the event, slated to be held later on Monday night.
    Advertisement

Singapore’s swimmers have clinched a total of 18 golds so far in the competition. CNA

Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/world/2...eak-schoolings-sea-games-record-50m-freestyle