Singapore's New Men's Singles Coach

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Loh, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Reported in today's Straits Times (Summarized and modified):

Ex-Indonesian National Coach's Appointment Ends 2-year Search

When Mulyo Handoyo, who coached Ronald Susilo and other men singles players, left for Indonesia in January 2004 to train Taufik Hidayat, he left a vacuum which was 'temporarily' filled by SBA's technical director, Zheng Qingjin. Only now that Zheng managed to convince the SBA to employ Indonesia's ex-national coach, Asep Suharno, to replace Mulyo for a 2-year contract with an option to renew for another 2 years.

It appears that the 37-year old Asep, who has coached Taufik Hidayat and Sony Kuncoro during his 5 years as Indonesian coach, is known not only to Zheng, (who has coached in Indonesia I presume apart from China) but also to Ronald when both were with Indonesia's Pusdiklat Pelita Jaya Jakarta before Ronald's departure for studies in Singapore in 1994. To this extent, Asep's first overseas assignment has been made easier.

Asep's experience with Sony may come in useful for Ronald, who is now making a return to full training after his Achilles tendon injury. Many may know that Sony himself had to undergo two operations after the 2004 Olympics to win the Asian Championships in September 2005 and apparently Asep had a part to play in Sony's recovery.

All eyes will be on how Ronald will progress to prepare for the forthcoming Melbourne Commonwealth Games in March. He did not play in the recent Manila SEA Games. Kendrick Lee, another of Singapore's hopeful, should be more relieved now, with both Asep and Ronald around to help in training, Ronald being his closest sparring partner.

It appears that the SBA has interviewed a number of coaches from China and Indonesia and finally settled for Asep. We wish Asep well and hope he can raise our men's singles standard a notch higher. :)

2. eskey

eskey Regular Member

Former Indonesia coach hired by SBA (Singapore)

Former Indonesia coach Suharno tasked to develop top-class male shuttlers

[size=+0]Thursday • January 19, 2006

Leong Wee Keat
    weekeat@newstoday.com.sg

AS INDONESIA national coach from 2001-2005, Asep Suharno admitted Singapore's shuttlers never came into the equation when it came to identifying key threats to the country's badminton stars.[/size]

[size=+0][size=+0][size=+0]It was always players from China, Malaysia, Denmark and South Korea that occupied his thoughts.

But the 37-year-old is determined to change all that as he attempts to make Singapore's male shuttlers feared names on the world stage.

On Monday, Suharno began his two-year stint as coach of the men's singles team. The Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) want the Indonesian to develop the 10 singles players currently under his wing. Short-term goals include June's Singapore Open and December's Asian Games in Doha.

The long-term target is qualification for the 2012 Thomas Cup Finals.

"Singapore can get on the same level as the likes of China, Denmark and South Korea," Suharno said yesterday.

"The SBA are serious about badminton. They are willing to fund the development of the game here. All countries can produce Olympic champions and I don't see why Singapore cannot do the same."

No doubt, Suharno's optimism stems from developments in the SBA.

Yesterday, SBA's acting chief executive officer Jacqueline Lim said: "Plans are in the pipeline to arrange sparring matches between Indonesia's national players and our players. In the past, the Indonesian national team were less agreeable to having sparring matches. Now, they are more open and we could be arranging future sparring stints with them."

The SBA have also signed four 16-year-olds — Derek Wong, Terry Yeo, Ashton Chen and Thng Boon Siong — to full time contracts. The quartet completed their 'O' Levels last year and will train full time till their enlistment for national service.

Derek, son of 1983 SEA Games champion Wong Shoon Keat, and Ashton will come under Suharno's charge.

One player Suharno is looking forward to working with is Singapore No 1 Ronald Susilo. Suharno first met Susilo at a badminton club in Jakarta in 1989 when the aspiring shuttler was just 10. Suharno, then a player-coach, sparred with the youngster.

Plagued by injuries and illness since he was knocked out of the 2004 Olympics in the quarter-finals, the 26-year-old has only just returned to training after recovering from a ruptured Achilles tendon.

The former world No 8 has seen his ranking plunge to 58, but Suharno is confident Susilo can hit top form again.

Citing his former protégé Sony Dwi Kuncoro, the 2004 Olympic bronze medallist and current SEA Games champion, as an example, Suharno said: "Sony's foot injury was much worse than Ronald's. He spent almost a year out and had two operations in less than 12 months.

"Ronald can still make it at the top level. He needs to get over the trauma and mental barrier of the injury and I will help him with that. I'm sure he will get back to the same level as before."[/size][/size][/size]

3. eskey

eskey Regular Member

ooppss you have beaten me by seconds

you have beaten me by seconds to this thread :D , i have copied the news to the other thread under Professional player. It's the same, it just copied from the news itself.

Moderator, can help to combine these 2 threads together, thanks

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Hi Eskey

Thanks for your version of the story. The two different sources provide some additional information which I find useful. :)