So will Taufik Hidayat finally win his first Super series title on "home soil" ?

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2010' started by LD rules!, Nov 6, 2010.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

So Taufik has reached yet another, SS final. However, it is well known that even though he is a former Olympic and World Champion, he has never actually won a SS event.
    Taufik was the favourite to win last week, in Odense following the withdrawal of Peter Gade due to injury. In the final he came up against Jan Ø Jorgensen, Jan was clearly inspired by the home crowd and managed a narrow victory.

So what is his chance of clinching his first SS title this time out in Paris ?

Well, Taufik is up against the 8th seed, Joachim Persson. Joachim is a former world top 10 player, however in recent times, he has suffered a severe dip in form, and ranking. He has played some of the International series events this year, to get some of his confidence back, and at the same time, increase his ranking. Joachim's form can be really unpredictable, and he can sometimes let his nerves get the better of him, two examples of which, are the Japan Open SS 2008 SF, where he was up against Lee Chong Wei, the match only lasted 20 minutes, as Lee won 21-6 21-4. Another example is the All England SS 2009 QF where he lost to Lin Dan, in a match in which Joachim was completly outplayed. However this week, he seems a completly diffferent player, as he has beat Du Pengyu and Peter Gade. However will his nerves and the fact that he has played some very tough matches this week be all too much, and fall at the final hurdle.

For Taufik this is like a home tournament, the French fans love watching him play, and I am sure if you asked a French badminton fan, who they would like to win they would say Taufik. (unless there was a French player with a good chance of winning)

So can Taufik win his first SS title on "home soil" ? Or will Joachim spring a suprise ?

Please share your thoughts below :)

#1 LD rules!, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

I think Taufik could do it this time. Persson played a good match against Gade, but he seemed to have problems with his back at the end of the game.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Some additional information:

In the previous meetings between the two, Taufik has a 3-1 record, the last time they met, was last week in Odense, Taufik winning 21-15 21-19. However the other three occasions went to three rather close games.

4. limb7567

limb7567 Regular Member

student
    really hard to believe sometimes that TH still yet to land a SS title.

hope TH will win tomorrow..

if not , since he is a buddy of LCW, maybe they can swap, since LCW got so many SS trophies. but no WC or OG gold. :)

5. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    i think TH, (if he puts his best into this), will take the french open quite comfortably. Last weeks match, in the denmark open, was rather easy i would say.
    Hope he tries hard and takes this SS to finally put the 'no SS' behind him.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

thats what I thought last week before he played JOJ, but Jan beat Taufik 21-19 21-19, maybe tomorrow Taufik will be able to do it, but you never know, Persson, could spring a suprise. However I feel it is 70:30 in favour of Taufik.

7. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    i honestly think it all depends how he feels on the day... this is not saying joachim is no good, its just i think the level is different.

8. nunu27

nunu27 Regular Member

base on his current performance, his chance to win his SS title more than 60%...
    but anything can happen.
    let's see tomorrow..;)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good thread and good analysis. :)

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Thanks Kwun have you got anything to add, on the upcoming Taufik vs Joachim match ?:)

11. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

Saw the Boonsak match? On that current performance I would say 90% sure he'll win.

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, 95% for TH to grab his first SS title here in Paris. JP not as good as JOJ..........

13. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    Wow... it's thrilling me inside. :D

I really hope Taufik can win today, it almost feel like how Federer never win French Open before 09 [really different case actually but I feel the same. :D]

All the best for Taufik, the lone ranger! :D

14. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

definitely TH!!!!!

15. naistav

naistav Regular Member

Given the technical analysis by this thread, I'll go for TH to win his first title. Hope there won't be surprise.
    Taufik proved that he deserve to have at least one SS title. Only luck that keep the SS title away from him, opposite case was that luck already helped him in winning OG and WC :D.

16. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Taufik will definitely win this one, the French title is already in his hands, it will be 3rd time lucky for Taufik :D
    I can't see him losing to JP!

17. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

I really hope so......fingers crossed....this win can cheer up some natural disasters victims back in his "truly' home soil....

18. koje89

koje89 Regular Member

Student
    Trophy for TAUFIK! :D
    I am sure he can beat Joachim though Joachim is a good player - but not as good as Taufik. :D
    Come on dude! Grab your trophy! Its definitely supposed to be yours. :D

19. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Maybe TH will read this thread, so i say: "Taufik, have a blast and show the world your magic once again. No matter what people say or whatever the result we will still love you. You know you can thrash that Danish fool :D, and also shut the mouths of those who constantly say TH cant win SS and bla bla bla......"

Go mas Taufik, anda pasti bisa!!!

20. PoLLuX

PoLLuX Regular Member

Student
    I hope TH will win it :)