Splitting Tan Fook & Wan Wah

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2007' started by X Ball, Jan 21, 2007.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

This is a subject that came up recently and mooted somewhat by KIM HOCK. I think the pair has succumbed to poor form of late and they are under pressure to deliver in the next two games. I think Soon Hock's thought is not to 'cull' them but probably split them and pair them with younger players.

Now I think it is inevitable because their plays are getting erratic when they are tired. To me, their bodies are telling them something. But there is still a way to prolong them for a while --- I think it will work if Rexy is doing it. That is to split them and pair them with the younger players. I hate to conjecture who the coach is targetting to be their partners, if this goes ahead.

But, if I were to guess, I think Bin Sheng and Soon Hock would likely be the ones. These two have not made their names yet (apart from the great win beating the Chinese pair in MO). They seem young and strong but still lacking in experience. If they were paired with TAN FOOK/WAN WAH, I think it will add a few years to the older pair and spring some life into their play.

If we look at the positive side of this, the older pair will impart their knowledge to these two younger ones while they still can, and the younger ones would add some strength and youthfulness. Otherwise, the older pair might call it quit and it might be a waste. I think the sooner some thoughts along these lines are put into place the better. Obviously, if they go with this, we are looking at ranking loss for Tan Fook and Wan Wah --- similar to Kien Kieat and Boon Heong. But are we complaining about KK/BH ?

I kinda remember Boon Bee teaming up with somebody else younger when Yee Khan called it quits when they were sliding. It did some good.

Any thoughts fellas?

#1 X Ball, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    but the problem now is that it may affect their qualification for WC n OG next year...
    cuz not all pairs can perform up to KKK-TBH standard in a short time...
    some may take years and if split them up, they may not be able to qualify for OG n WC this year...

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

That is the big question --- to do it or not ? I think that is why Kim Hock is giving Tan Fook-Wan Wah two more tournaments to prove themselves.

If they can pull themselves back into form, this might allow them to carry on as a pair until they retire. But should they still flounder, then it does not matter anymore because even if they qualify they are not good enough to win in the WC or OG -- so they might as well be teamed up with younger players for any improvement that be derived from them.

Looking at the plays recently, I think they are making a lot of mistakes -- I remember seeing them give away points easily and it is not their typical selves.

Anyway, good luck to Tan Fook-Wan Wah. They have given a lot to Malaysian fans --- whatever happens, they will be remembered.

#3 X Ball, Jan 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  4. tjl_vanguard

Student
    somehow i believe they can pull it through.. remember when wan wah just came back from injury, they managed to go into china masters or china open finals.. they beat cai yun - fu haifeng in semi finals some more that tournament... however, they fell to zhongbo-zengdong (*sorry if spelling wrong haha)... kim hock is doin the right thing to let them prove themselves again.. but if they really fail again i think there will be no choice but to split them.. it might not do any good to them but it will do some good for the juniors such as bin shen n soon hock if they were to be splitted and formed new pairs with these two pairs...

but somehow i still think its tan fook's problem and not wan wah.. tan fook just not consistent enough.. he usually plays trendmendously in the beginning but start making unforced errors here and there.. i think its their mentality problem.. seems like their experience this international badminton not helping them now... they must do something before its too late (e.g. too old to play, or worse -> "GET LOST!!!!" from Rexy and BAM :D :D :D :eek: :p )

5. Ethan

Ethan Regular Member

I was having a thought, why not split them and thrust them into XD action ?? Since BAM said they wanted to strengthen up their XD and MD have such a big pool of talent ??

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Good idea. Don't know why I haven't thought of that. Problem is, we don't have many quality girls to choose from.

7. Ethan

Ethan Regular Member

You can actually replace KKK with LWW, where KKK/TBH have better chances, and LWW/WPT have better chances. You might not need to use both of them to be XD players right ? one can play in XD, one can bring up youngsters in MD. We can have so many options.

You can kill tons of birds with one stone.

8. tjl_vanguard

Student
    yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how come no one thought of that till now!!! haha hopefully BAM will take that step.. sacrifice one pair in MD means nth to Malaysia now... our MD are just too strong for now.... except once in a while they lost to lower ranked pair but winnning against world champs.. weird right haha

9. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I am not sure LWW or Tan Fook would be keen to play with women.....I think they would rather quit. I may be wrong. :)

10. tjl_vanguard

Student
    but if for the sack of the country.... i dun see any reasons why they wont play wit womens haha.... well, still its just a piece of my mind aite... :)

11. lipans

lipans Regular Member

Let them be together until they retire. They are good to be sparing partner with KKK/TBH and other potential MD. Sometimes, they play good also. Hopefully, they are good in Olympic and AC.