S'pore Open -M'sia's next generation players

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by block306, Jun 7, 2006.

1. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    at least he did reached national playing level mah....at least he is better than most of us.....your comments are very negative....have you even reached state level?

2. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

The only cheer our young players brought to us was from Julia Wong. She played well and hope that she can achieve bigger success in future. I hope she will not like WMC, who is easily injured and inconsistent.

3. LwW^w|n

LwW^w|n Regular Member

no dear erin...u are all CORRECT!!!! haha...brilliant u...i told u once and u still can remember now!!!! well , the younger sister ,(i think she is Nairul Nabila....im very confused on their name....my friend told me before but i got confused again!! )..she is a state player, same as Athirah, but i think she is still young and still can get better. must work hard if really want to get into BAM.

4. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Thank you dear, for adding the info :D we wish Nairul Nabila all the best :D

5. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    He gave Gade too much respect. He was even smiling when he made mistakes. But he did impressive but could have been more impressive if he doesn't take it as a newbie versus big star kind of match and simply played what he was trying to play which was good.

6. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Thats it !!! Precisely this is what I mean to say.....Mal players dun have to win tournaments to remain in the squad.

7. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Most talented players reach national level or even win an international tournament at the age of 16-18. Just look at the past records of the great legends like Rudy Hartono, Lim Swie King, Zao Jian Hwa, Icuk, Ardy etc..and the not so great ones like Misbun and Rasid, they do win the national championship under 20 yrs of age. Sure one can train hard if you don't have the talent but that can only get you so far - second or third best....If you haven't won any 4* championship at the age of 22 then more than likely you are not going to make it at later age...:( my 2cents....

8. JYong

JYong Regular Member

after watching their training in SBH, have the same feeling as u.. malaysian players quite slack as compare to china. China's training is very proper and systematic,but for malaysia...

9. JYong

JYong Regular Member

the way he play really so-so.. attitude is not right. but if malaysia team no more talent he still have chance to go higher, the younger players take time to promote.

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Sure, I agree with what you have said. But there are exceptions. I think, like racehorses, some trainers purposely hold them back in their early life so that they can develop properly. Similarly, I think there are some people who can only develop a bit later in life, and I think KBH is one of them (he is not brilliant to say the least). He learns from the hard way, and that is to be given time to experience. There is no denying he is far from the likes of Rudy and some of the young greats.

But I always believe if you keep at something for a long time, it will break for you.

KBH, if you read this, you need to get your arse going before it gets too round !:mad:

11. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

I have a feeling Malaysians are very critical of their own players.Basically there isnt much consructive inputs.More of destructive bashings due to losses.Anyway,Ariff could be considered a potential world class player if properly groomed.I like his approach towards the game.HE is fast,aggressive and fearless.He must be a good player to warrant Peter Gade's respect.One slight flaw,he does not think BIG enough.For the recent Sukma he aims for the semi's only.That's what he achieved.Someone must advise him to dream BIG.It's not gonna cost extra.Other than this,this young player will shine soon.

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Critics sometimes help -- in fact it definitely does help else one can get complacent. And the way the Malaysian players are playing, they need to be told that they are not doing well !!!!

As for Arif, I think the young man has done very well. Needless to say, his folks will make sure he gets plenty of exposure in badminton after the recent mini successes. And BAM, I believe, would be zooming in with their binoculars. There is still life in Malaysian badminton !!!!:)

13. Slugs

Slugs Regular Member

Doesn't China have that "survival" instinct being ingrained in the mindset of their players i.e. you've got to "win it at all costs or else" attitude? I've seen a video clip a while back depicting LYB giving one of their doubles players a dressing-down in one particular badminton tournament right in the presence of the audience. Our players don't seem to have that kind of mindset, and just to show how shallow they are look at the fanciful watches they're wearing during matches.

14. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    i think, a talented player begins to win any tournament title at the age 17 - 20
    exception for hendrawan, he was 24 yo to win 1st gp :D

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I don't believe in that "you have to achieve this-and-that by the age of so-and-so" mantra. Whether you win the World Championships at 20 or at 30, you are still a World Champion.

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes agreed but it is very unlikely, e.g. I cannot see Kenneth winning the world championship even though he is playing extremely well.

17. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    poul erik hoyer larsen <<-----is it spelled correctly?
    he won the 1996 olympics MS at the age of 36.....

18. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

With all malaysians are out, I have stopped watching SO and concentrate on WC. It's more exciting than badminton at the moment at least!

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Did he play against anyone signnificant ?

20. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    In round 16, he beats Ong Ewe Hock of Malaysia (17-14, 15-9)

In the QF, he beats Alan Budikusuma of Indonesia (15-11, 15-6)

In the SF, he beats Arbi Heryanto of Indonesia (15-11, 15-6)

And in the final, he beats Dong Jiong of China (15-12, 15-12) to win the 1996 Olympic title.

========================================================

Men's singles round of 16

Defending bronze medallist Thomas Stuer-Lauridsen was defeated in the round of 16, though his fellow Dane Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen, who had been defeated in the quarterfinals four years earlier, was the only non-Asian to advance to the quarterfinals. Indonesia's three players all continued to advance.

Joko Suprianto, Indonesia (15-11, 15-12) Jens Olsson, Sweden
    Rashid Sidek, Malaysia (15-5, 15-2) Yu Lizhi, China
    Dong Jiong, China (15-6, 18-15) Thomas Stuer-Lauridsen, Denmark
    Park Sung Woo, Korea (15-5, 15-9) Fumihiko Machida, Japan
    Lee Kwang Jin, Korea (15-8, 15-12) Iain Sydie, Canada
    Heryanto Arbi, Indonesia (15-0, 15-7) Liu En-Horng, Chinese Taipei
    Alan Budikusuma, Indonesia (15-5, 15-6) Sun Jun, China
    Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen, Denmark (17-14, 15-9) Ong Ewe Hock, Malaysia

Men's singles quarterfinals

Rashid Sidek, Malaysia (15-5, 15-12) Joko Suprianto, Indonesia
    Dong Jiong, China (15-6, 15-6) Park Sung Woo, Korea
    Heryanto Arbi, Indonesia (15-0, 15-13) Lee Kwang Jin, Korea
    Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen, Denmark (15-11, 15-6) Alan Budikusuma, Indonesia

Men's singles semifinals

Høyer Larsen continued to win, defeating another Indonesian to become the first European to win an Olympic badminton semifinal match. Dong defeated Sidek in the other match.

Dong Jiong, China (15-6, 18-16) Rashid Sidek, Malaysia
    Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen, Denmark (15-11, 15-6) Heryanto Arbi, Indonesia

Men's singles bronze medal match

Sidek defeated Arbi in the bronze medal match, keeping the Indonesian team from a medal in the men's singles which they had dominated four years earlier.

Rashid Sidek, Malaysia (5-15, 15-11, 15-6) Heryanto Arbi, Indonesia

Men's singles final

Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen, Denmark (15-12, 15-12) Dong Jiong, China

#60 virusvoodoo, Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2006