Sun Yu (孙瑜)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by RedShuttle, Jun 6, 2012.

1. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Unfortunately the coaches prefer to select such physical and grinding players when scouting them
    from young as they are predictable and easier to coach as compared to naturally talented players
    who can be off the cuff and subject to emotional swing and are unpredictable and inconsistent -
    its a pity, more so in China where I think there must be many RI like players who are not chosen
    by the China strict displinarian coaches.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sun Yu is a tall,strong athlete, very suitable for 'power' play but not quick enough in her movement due to her physicality. Luckily she is able to time her attack reasonably well though I find her a bit short on stamina as the match wears on.

True,her strokes are effective,textbook-like,lacking in artistry, with little disguise, almost without deceptiveness. But considering she is still only 19 years old and just one-and-a-half years into her international career (her maiden adult tournament was the SCG Thai Open in June 2012 where she lost to Wang Lin in the QF in a 3-setter), I believe she will continue developing her game and should probably improve in other aspects and overall.

Actually another WS performance impresses me as much, Yao Xue's, not just because she thrashed Juliane Schenk. I noticed in G1, she was smashing her way through to victory but in G2 she varied her strokes more, played some rallies and clears instead of smashes to make it less predictable which succeeded in confusing and frustrating her opponent who capitulated in no time. What's more noteworthy, generally speaking, is that she has become less impatient, erratic and mechanical (or unthinking) in her game which used to be her main weakness, I thought.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    found a video of Sun Yu against WYH

[video=youtube;G3D9zqkuzJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3D9zqkuzJo[/video]

4. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Good find. Excellent picture quality. Too bad that the audio is a bit out of sync.

GuangZhou hired WYH to replace Sun Yu for the CBSL playoff. And WYH promptly lost to Liu Xin. Let's see if Sun Yu can take out WYH again for a sweet revenge.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. RedShuttle

2014 Swiss Open SF vs P.V. Sindhu

[video=youtube;4YjG9XI1f3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YjG9XI1f3M[/video]

7. RedShuttle

2014 Swiss Open Badminton WS Final vs Wang Yihan

[video=youtube;Kl6GWIFUxDQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl6GWIFUxDQ&list=UUhh-akEbUM8_6ghGVnJd6cQ[/video]

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sun Yu is improving steadily, I can't wait to see her rise among the top players, the sooner the better.

9. RedShuttle

Life on the Chinese team is tough. Sun Yu does not get to play again until probably the China Masters. Her great performance (especially the win over PVS) at the Swiss Open only gives her a life line for future opportunities.

On any other team, a player of Sun Yu's caliber would have so much more opportunities to be comfortably in the Top 10 rather than at No 27 World Ranking.

Sun Yu will just have to continue to work on her game and wait for her big break. I think by this time next year, she will be in position to challenge for a spot on the Olympic team.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Will Sun Yu play in the Uber Cup?

11. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    there is lxr , wsx,wyh don't think they need sun yu at all .

12. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    yeah, in the case a team needs no substitute or contingency back up at all :D lol

i ain't sure how many single a team can enlist for UC; if five WS, Sun Yu will be listed; if only four i guess Liu Xin will instead take the last slot.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  14. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

One Chinese article reported that Sun Yu may be selected as the 4th WS for the Uber Cup. The final decision will be made known and confirmed on the 3rd May. http://sports.qq.com/a/20140502/000536.htmThe other three CHN WS are of course Li Xuerui, Wang Yihan and Wang Shixian. By the way, Yu Yang is dropped due to her injury, so Ma Jin will replace her to partner Wang Xiaoli; the other two WD being Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei and Tang Jinhua/Bao Yixin

16. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Tian Qing be dropped and Tang Yuan Ting be added. it has been a while since Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei playing WD, has it not?

17. RedShuttle

Congratulations to Sun Yu for not only being on the Uber Cup team but also back on the fast track! Not getting a single opportunity to play in the FIVE GPG or SS event since Swiss Open, I thought Sun Yu was put in the dog house. Somehow, she stumbled on a wormhole and freed herself from the abyss.

18. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I dont think she was ever in the dog house. I think that China has so many 2nd stringers who need a chance to play in the tournaments, so Sun Yu wasn't chosen for those lesser tournaments to give others a chance.

I think she actually performed very well lately and i think she proved herself. I think LYB already came to trust Sun Yu and just wanted to let others play.

19. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Given her selection as WS4 on Uber Cup team, maybe this is also a good sign for Sun Yu's WC prospects.

20. RedShuttle

Not impossible, but either Han Li or Liu Xin is more likely. Sun Yu will likely become one of "world champions" by LYB's definition, for being on the winning UC team. Having been given such a weighty gift, Sun Yu will have to truly earn any future opportunities.