Taufik Hidayat at the 2009 Swiss Open

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2009' started by chris-ccc, Mar 9, 2009.

1. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Is it fair if i say Hafiz can come back to competitive badminton as well?
    Perhaps he has to be one independent player first.

Btw, My credits goes to Taufik, for every effort he had contributed all the way in AE and Swiss.
    His journey in India Open, will be better. another semifinal, taufik? Or perhaps better.

2. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I agree with pjswift about Taufik's relaxed presence on court. When I first arrived into the AE arena, I recognised Taufik warming up because of his smooth way of strolling around and generally being quite cool with his opponent. That, and his trademark 'white strap on one knee and black on the other' kneestraps. This was from only seeing his back, and me being short-sighted!

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..thank you, that's what i'm looking for.;)
    Good and dandy if Taufik can keep up with LCW for the 3 games...Maybe he'll finally figure out how to beat LCW and win it the next time they meet..;)
    ..based on??:confused:
    If it's based on his Semifinals Rd. appearance in the AE, then by the same logic, i can say:
    Chen Jin (who played against LD in the SF) is also on the same level as the World's No. 1 & 2

If it's based on his Quarterfinals Rd. appearance in the Swiss Open, then by the same logic, i can say:
    Hsieh Yu Shin (who played against LD in the QF) is also on the same level as the World's No.1 & 2..Heck, let's put Jan O Jorgensen also on the same level as the World's No.1 & 2, since he reached the Semifinals round.

Really??..
    ..so, how many times have we heard this same optimistic comment being repeated from the many Taufik supporters or sympathizers??..

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Wow Chris, you're really fired up on this TH matter. I like it!

My own personal opinion is that TH will find it hard to sustain this high level of fitness. His motivation can't be the money–he's already set for life. I think he's playing mainly for pride, to prove to himself that he still belongs. People, don't kid yourselves, that close call LCW had against TH in the SO will serve only to push LCW to ensure it won't happen again.

Unfortunately it's quite clear (in my mind) that he belongs in the second tier. If he can reach and maintain WR #3 for the rest of the year, I would consider that an achievement. As a fan of his, I'd love him to emphatically prove me wrong.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Were you around..^^

..about 3-4 yrs ago, madbad??..you should've seen and/or read my posts, esp. when it comes to Taufik. If need proof, ask cooler..:p;)

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hehe, cooler being around, I can see a repeat of the fireworks :eek:. Well, at least we get a chance to see TH play in Vancouver next month :).

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Off topic-I hope..^^

..Taufik won't do a repeat of his last minute cancellation like he did last Christmas to the Toronto folks..
    *actually cooler was cheering on my behalf..he was probably enjoying a good laugh while i was going at it with other BCers..:p

#187 ctjcad, Mar 17, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Sorry, continuing off topic...

No cancellation. This event is a big time one, with Badminton Canada and Canada Olympics people involved. Besides, the appearance fees have been paid (and presumably deposited). Hauge has confirmed TH and AT will arrive on Apr 1st. Hey, why aren't you coming up?

Cooler is just too funny. He's got his pet hates and LCW and TH fans are two of them

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    TH I think is getting better than before...but he still needs urgency and speed. Like he can play longer now, but he can't really play much faster. And he needs to become threatening. Like if he can impose his game in LCW, there's definately no way LCW can win, it's just that TH isn't able to do that anymore.

Hope he keeps getting better and better!

10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Given that BCL is going to have an operation and Sony is struggling with his injury, I don't think TH becoming World No. 3 is that "optimistic". Let's look at other top 10 players.

1. PG. To dominate TH, PG has to be one level higher in stamina/power than TH, so if TH is reasonably fit, PG (who is already 32/33 yrs old) is not a problem.

2. CJ. I admit I never think CJ as a top player. Also CJ's recent performance indicates that he indeed suffers from his waist injury now and then.

3. PSH. He is a threat to any top player but it's not likely that he himself can reach very high in ranking.

4. Others. BP seems not very much devoted anymore, Simon Santoso still clearly below TH. Persson? Wacha? No way.

#190 ye333, Mar 17, 2009
  11. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

He indeed needs to be faster if he wants to beat LD/LCW. But to beat others, good stamina is enough.

12. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    @ye333 - yep, he needs to get to the shuttles backcourt earlier to be able to do jump smashes, although knee problems are probably also contributing to the lack of smashes from Taufik lately.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Given those..

..given those possible scenarios and circumstances, what is the likelihood of Taufik staying in shape and be free of injuries himself this yr??.. Considering:
    1. He's older..
    2. He has a history of all kinds of little "sudden" injuries that come up..

All i'm concerned about is result(s) and title(s). Look at Gade, as an example.

I'm not specifically referring to him reaching WR #3 as "optimistic".
    It's just that all these talks and comments that "if TH keeps reasonable fitness level, he will definitely hold an upper hand against any other player etc.", those are the "optimistic" comments. How many times have we heard those comments before in BC??..:confused:

*madbad, no can go this time. too much on my plate (and no, not the dinner plate):p..Is Hau-ge going??..Have fun, though..;)

#193 ctjcad, Mar 17, 2009
  14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Aw....Chris...I didn't you know you have so much against TH :rolleyes:

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^You missed my older posts??..^^

..i've been pro him, but it's all about reality...;)

16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    He's just lost faith :p

17. teddbaker

teddbaker Regular Member

this is the truth and nothing but the truth...

18. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Traitor(definition) :eek:ne who was born and raised in Indonesia, left for usa and talk like he knows everything about the game in badminton:DWhat is your credential, chris?:rolleyes::p;)
    What do you call that a "tournament helper"? or a translator for TH during WC 2005??:p;):D:rolleyes:I am just teasing you, man(in us slang):D

#198 Tommy Susanto, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  19. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

The fact is, TH has indeed been keeping a reasonable fitness level during the past 6 months... :cool:

20. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    All I can inform you that TH practices more often than he was in Cipayung....also he and others go to gym more often....he still has desire to play another 2 yrs, at least.
    Also big sponsors, like VICTOR/Li Ning still wants TH...(thats a good news)