Teaching Badminton

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by wedgewenis, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Lee

Lee Regular Member

Thats British/Canadian, while Offence is American.

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    someone lik Badrad around here would be hard to find, gotta admit he's "one of a kind" ;) there's other coaches around here, but they also only teach in small or big groups, and honestly, they dont pay much attention to beginners and focus quite a bit on their "core group" of players

for the word "offence" hehe... I hav no say, since my spelling sux anyways :p

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Re: I thought I'd jus add onto this thread

If you get afford it, I would say go with an experienced coach. If not and you have to teach/coach her, remember to set goals and expectations for each lesson. Actually having to teach/coach someone else forces you to actually think about your own stroke/technique (i.e. you need to take apart your own stroke in order to determine how you can show her and in the process correct any errors)

I would say one with a little more flex and you might want to consider the MP55. ;)The weight of the racquet shouldn't matter unless you are talking about an old timer (like a heavy U type) racquet.

She will probably end up using one side as her dominant hand. Don't know if there are any advantages to being able to play with either side. Unless she is extremely gifted, I wouldn't bother and have her choose a side where she feels most comfortable with.

I would say that given that she is in her teens, you can start with the basis of what you had specified earlier. The idea is to build the foundation and then build on top of this foundation. Look at it this way; teach the simple skills first; then the more complex ones.

Should be part and parcel of the lessons. You can always provide off-court training on fitness/cardio.

Can't help you too much here since I don't live in Coquitlam but in Richmond. In Richmond, there are family sessions, court bookings, etc that you can utilized. Check the Park & Recreation web site in your area for more information.

BTW, be patient and provide constructive feedback. Also ask her for her feedback on what's working and what's not. Other than that, make sure it is fun.

Good luck.

#23 Winex West Can, Mar 15, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2003
  4. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Re: Re: I thought I'd jus add onto this thread

Aite I'll look into that, but I dunno if anyone does 1-on-1 coaching around my area

Well that's where I'm REALLY confused. She told me she holds her rackets (at school) with her left hand, but she writes/holds chopsticks with her rite!:confused: I guess I'll leave it to her to decide which hand she's more comfortable using

Aite, thx for the tip :D

hmm... ok... I'll look into that... :p

thx for the taking the time to reply the whole list of 'em WWC, it is much much appreciated!

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Depending on her aims for learning badminton, I'd say there's no need to work on fitness/cardio. Most beginners just want to learn the game out of curiosity and social aspects.

It's hard core badminton addicts that will do the auxillary exercises for badminton.

6. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    She's aiming to join the team, so I have to prep her for it (as demanded)