The BC chamber of stringing horrors

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 2, 2016.

1. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Well, judging from the looks of his machine, that shop is not spending any excessive amounts of money on new equipment.

So by preweaving like this (and double pulling the mains), two or three people can put twice as many rackets through in a day.

I'm guessing that the machine itself is the bottleneck here, not the number of hands. A couple of kids could be doing the preweave...

That said, it's a true gem this video!!

I guess going left to right doesn't make any difference, when the racket is mounted at two points, "just like this"...

:)

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Squeeze the right side of a ballon and move to the left. You will see in which direction the pressure goes. Squeeze the ballon from the middle to the sides evenly, now you see the difference.

3. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

A club member told me it saves time if it breaks during your game night and you can just pre-weave while you're waiting for games. More importantly stringing shared holes become super easy, you don't get string twisting, at higher tensions this actually makes life easier for some.

4. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I've often sat off court waiting and thought, I could just weave a few racquets here instead.

Wait......... Nope, I haven't.

DarkHiatus, s_mair and Rob3rt like this.
  5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Don't you find that preweaving is exactly the thing that causes twists?

6. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I've always found any soft weaving to be a pain. Someone asked me for a 20lb bg65ti job the other day, it was torture. Give me a 30lb'er any day.

Derrick N. likes this.
  7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Don't forget, you are in a service industry... Service with a smile and the customer is always right. :rolleyes:

8. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    People appreciate my honesty

s_mair, Fidget and ucantseeme like this.
  9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    IMO if the arguments are just shared holes and twisted or crossed string, I will never need preweaving, because I can string a racket without twisted strings, crossed strings and can threat shared holes at my machine pretty well.

And if you argue to sit off court and wait and preweave, I'm curious if you carry grommets and tools to turn or remove the grommets as well in your bag? You don't need often new grommets for a new 24ish job on a crank which feels more like 22, but normally I get the big boys rackets to restring in training, who need a restring more frequent compared to the 21lbs BG65 once a year guys. This doesn't mean that I don't get low requests, but in training and mostly in training nights I get to 80% something which is over 12kg.

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    [​IMG]

I nominate this stringer. Especially for charging £20 because digital.

I like how he has moved the string to the outside of the grommets so I can clearly count the 6 holes tie off. Yummy.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Nice one!

And looks like a certain someone is indeed hunting another TK9000...

12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I got a few weeks ago a racket with 4 knots. The knots looked scary. The string running outside, too. After cutting and removing the string, the stringer mastered to hide that he cutted too less string for the mains. He tie them off before finished, made a starter continue one side of the mains (last and 2nd last), weaved the bottom cross and continued with the other side (last and second last main) and did the crosses BU. It was really an inception mind **** to me. I was fascinated how he tried to hide it and also sick that somebody could be such a lazy stringer just for the waste of 6mins weave and tension mains and a piece of string to give such a job away. I think he cutted strings for main and cross before and just exchanged them.

13. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I found a video that someone is stringing the same way than our friend "Just like so"

He preweave, start from the side, just like so :), use three flying clamps, only 10 minutes not counting the preweave time
    But I think you guys should know not long time ago stringing machine came only with one clamp. So I think it is a old technic. take a look at old electronic Babolat machine, it came with only one clamp.

#73 fanfaron, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  14. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Tensioning mains from the side? OUCH! Bad enough starting from the middle and doing one side at a time, but actually starting from the side is just painful to watch.

15. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I saw this exact method when I was in China... Made me cringe :(

16. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I've seen few people on the net stringing Tennis rackets that way. Maybe it's normal. We find it weird maybe we are not use to it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#76 fanfaron, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  17. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Not everything on the Net or Youtube is correct . The edge of the racket is weaker than the middle, I don't think that's even a point if contention. So why would you want to start tensioning from the weakest point? It just doesn't make any sense. Maybe you're right, "we" aren't used to stringing (that) badly.

It's a lazy short cut that could save a small amount of time but it is in no way good practice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

18. druss

druss Regular Member

This is why you don't take a badminton racket to a tennis stringer...

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Don't throw too much dirt on tennis stringers. Stringing left to right is also a big no-go for decent tennis stringers.

And what I will never understand is why this should save time at all compared to center outwards. Number of pulls is identical, you have to thread the same number of holes. Where is the shortcut? I just don't get it.

decoy likes this.
  20. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Less time on... startup... I guess... How do they even knot that way