The BC chamber of stringing horrors

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Aug 2, 2016.

1. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I'd say no more than 24lb based on that clip. I think it was only done so he looks important to people that know no different.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I will admit I did laugh out loud at that bit. Side-to-side with double pulls? Has no right even to use the word "mistake".

3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    So you probably missed out on his ACTUAL own racquet for a bargain £300 or whatever it was?

4. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

Thanks a lot, didn`t see that trick.

shave for some precious minutes.

5. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

It seems that string side to side is very popular on youtube. Also double pulling seems like dark side of force that people can't resist the temptation. Why is that? And preaweaving the crosses...

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Apparently I've indeed missed this chance. Did he seriously try to sell one of his messed up bats through eBay or what? That guy is hilarious!

Are we sure that he isn't a comedian who is fooling us all big time? We all know that you guys on your island over there have developed a strange kind of humor...

7. CET Stringer

CET Stringer New Member

Well, about the video.
    If he always strings like that with the same machine, same speed, same setting and same clamps it will be soewhat consistent, that could be ok for him.
    If he has it strung at a tournament service by Yonex with 31 lbs it will turn out very different as his machine is constant pull and he double pulls and has the crosses pre-installed when doing the mains. I guess something like 26-27 lbs on a constant pull Yonex would get him something similar.

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    If double pulling halves the tension then how does it get up to 26lb? We've seen kwun prove the half tension bit, and the smaller drop to 26lb does seem more likely, I just can't get my head round it.

@s_mair it was a user selling Andy's racquet, I think I'm being a bit harsh on him, but its hard to refuse a light-hearted dig after seeing this video.

9. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I can't believe double pulling mains will result in half the tension. On the mains.
    If it did, this racket would turn out the shape of a cricket bat.
    I guess he ends up OK, because the lost tension from double pulling, will make up around the 3 lbs difference he needs extra on the crosses.

Constant pull vs lockout is no big deal here, as he strings so fast. Try leaving you string tensioned but unclamped in a wise, and listen for the motor adding additional tension. It's taking som time.

He says he prefer looser strings, so if this turns out a 28 lbs job, he's probably happy with it. 31 would not exactly be loose.

10. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I doubt it ends up purely halved, but I also doubt it ends up as high as 28. I'd reckon it sits at 24-26.

11. FeatherBlaster

Well, say you hit 26 on mains and 31 on crosses. Approx a 28 symmetrical job or 28/29.

But really. To see such sloppyness for a player at this level. .. :)

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I meant overall

13. CET Stringer

CET Stringer New Member

Lockout versus constant pull has usually a 5-10% difference in the lockout ending with less tension, as correctly stated as quicker he strings as less loss but that is hard to quantify. The friction of the pre installed crosses on the mains does another bit and the double pull does the third bit, that was the basis of my estimation that with a Yonex machine, single pull and no pre weave it might need something around 26-27 lbs.

14. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO you make a mistake, which you maybe make in your daily life. Don't be scared if somebody is successful in one section and fail hard in something which depends on this section. Great players, never must be great stringers, because they normally will have somebody who will do it, because they are focused on other and more important things. Great stringers, never must be great players, because they are so busy with restrings, that their time on court gets shorten.

What me scared the most is that nobody wonder about the fact that even the other english players don't know better and never teached him about his stringing. Also that they uses cranks disturbed me and the fact that alot people here have much better machines at home and play at much, much less skill level. I need to credit Ellis for playing such a high level with such a horrible job.

s_mair, visor and Rob3rt like this.
  15. druss

druss Regular Member

I might be able to agree with that except for him disparaging the yonex stringers and saying if you want it done right to do it yourself....

16. FeatherBlaster

What I meant was not that he as a good player should be a good stringer.

No, I meant that it is strange that he, as a good player, cannot feel that the job he do is "worse" compared to the job Yonex stringers provide. That he prefers to play with his style of sloppy stringing.

But having thought about it a bit more, he probably strings so many rackets, at such a high speed, that his jobs are VERY consistent.

And probably that consistency is the most important to him. If he plays 90% with his own jobs, and 10% with better Yonex jobs (that are different in terms of how they play, and probably higher tensioned), I can actually understand that he prefer his own jobs.

-----

Another thing this shows me, is that we - as stringing aficionados - probably puts too much into the results of different techniques, etc.

I'm all in on detailing everything to do a great job. I've thought that 4 knots will give a more symmetrical tension-pattern than 2 knots, etc. I also try different tie-off knots, and so on. I cut jobs that I don't feel is 100% OK, and redo them. And I mean 100%. I'm not letting a 99% job go to a client, even if I know it's a novice that can't tell the difference. I have professional pride in my jobs - both from a theoretical perspective, but also because I think that every job you deliver is your business card.

On the other hand, I'm aware that we think and talk about things, that 99% of the worlds badminton players would never be able to tell the difference between. And that Ellis can live with such a bad string job, and not prefer a pro job, tells me that I might be right. He's doing all the no-no's and he's happy with it. I wonder if some of the recreational players at my club then would be able to tell the difference?

Like if the way we start-clamp the mains will end up giving one of the middle main strings +- 0.1 kg of tension? Who can actually tell that from just playing the racket?

ucantseeme is often taking less than favorable about crank machines. Perhaps the players can't tell by the resulting job, if a crank CP machine was used? (given that the crank is calibrated correctly according to stringing speed).

Don't get me wrong - I do all the nerdy stuff myself! ;-)

emjay likes this.
  17. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Ok so I just got the Lin Dan Force, factory strung and would like to get your opinion on the stringing job:)
    I'll have to make do with its current string, BG65, but I might re-string it at a later time with BG66 UM or BG80P at 25lbs.
    Sounds good?

Attached Files:

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Don't see any horror from that perspective. Looks like a normal factory string job.

Special agent @ucantseeme from "CSI String Job", what's you're opinion on this?

19. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Thank you sir:) Ever since reading on this thread I'll be paying more attention now on my racket's stringing job.
    I'm just curious, does the stringing patterns affect in anyway the performance of the racket?

20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Not really how it performs, but I think the pattern can change the longevity of the string. I think that one piece lasts longer than two piece. If it's two piece top down stays firmer for a bit longer than bottom up - but that can come with its own problems such as racket deformation (I find you're more likely to end up with an egg shaped racket going top down).

Unless the pattern is completely awful, like some of the examples in this thread, with large amounts of string between the last pull and the tie off knot, or just doing plain weird things.