The end of the Yonex "classics"?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, Jun 11, 2010.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    From very very early on, there are a selected cream of crop Yonex rackets that are revered by badminton players (esp professional players) all around the world. these are rackets that are most popular among the professionals. these are rackets that fetches extraordinary prices in the used market after being discontinued. the list of classics in my book are:

Carbonex 9
    Carbonex 20
    Isometric 800
    Ti-10
    Muscle Power 99
    Armortec 700

these are rackets that we can see not just used by a few players, most often, most of a team ends up using a racket. Ti-10 was really popular in Korea, AT700 in China, and Cab20 by almost everyone.

however, for probably a few reasons, we are no longer seeing any particular Yonex racket garnering this status anymore. firstly it is because of the shift in team sponsorship, and nowadays, we don't see that there is one racket that is taking the crown. the NS and Arcsabers are used but not consistently so. players tend to switch around much more to different models all the time, never settling down on a particular classic.

will this spell the end of the classic series? or do you think one of the racket will emerge as the modern day classic?

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Agreed with the models. Cab8 was also popular though. During that time, there may not be that many badminton enthusiast.

It sure will evolve due to companies trying to sell more new ones to get new revenues. Sadly the price keeps on going up to rediculous levels. ;)

3. druss

druss Regular Member

I also think there are more models than ever before. Look at the range of rackets available now compared to 20 years ago.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..are you looking for a specific "new" generation Yonex racket(s) that is(are) being used by a lot of pro players/national teams or everyone??..

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i distinctly remember in 1991-2, a top of the line racket cab21 was in the region of HK$650 which is around US$85. nearly 20 yrs later, the top of the line nowadays goes for around double that. i think given inflation it is not that bad.

6. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    I reckon this thread has the potential to overtake Dinks thread as the ultimate 'thread about nothing'.

7. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    Another factor, i think, is the emergence of other competitors/brands that match the quality of Yonex therefore diluting the market of "classic" rackets.

8. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

Yah, with new companies and new sponsorships, it's difficult for a racket to be established as a go-to anymore. and companies are coming out with new models every year and they always want their players to use the newest stuff.

it was cool how lin dan always used the at700 1st gen. he didn't even bother using the at900p (which was kinda of designed for him).. I'm not sure about the at700 ltd though.. but anyways.. too many new rackets.. too many companies

9. Easy Tiger

Bum
    I think it's testament to the fact that 10 years ago, you could have three categories of rackets and that would pigeon-hole everyone, but now with so many models to choose from with so many conceivable handling and feel traits, there is never going to be one stand-out model that everyone just has to have.

Compounding that problem, is that people don't seem to be interested in versatile, forgiving rackets anymore. People are interested in freak rackets for freak players, that suit 1% of the players out there.

And then like me they sell them for rackets that actually work. :D

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Lindan is still spotted using at700 even when he is sponsored by lining. Not that he don't like the n90. He still love the feel of at700. Very rare to know that. I'm even suprised myself.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's one the quality of these classics. they are well loved and they stand the test of time.

12. Easy Tiger

Bum
    What, one PAID professional uses what appears to be the same racket for a few years, and all of a sudden in your mind it's a classic?

You're a marketing persons wet dream. More Pros use the NS9900 and Arc10 than the AT700....does that make it 'more' classic'??

Speaking of which, you never did answer whether or not you got any kickbacks from promoting the new Carltons. :p

13. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

ahah... pros don't use at700 now... definitely not (and when I say definitely, I mean rarely :p)

people are talking about back in the day... I remember tony gunawan and candra wijaya still using at700.. I think Jonas Rasmussen.. anyways, it was either at700 or 1st gen ti10

14. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

well if you go back to the great days of the 1st gen AT700, there were many professionals using it. TH, LD, i believe peter gade used it as well. Kenneth Jonassen, too? and that is a small list compared to how many did use it.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Compare that with cameras or computers....:)

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    anyone got a spare old yonex woody that they can string it with today's good string and trying it out?

17. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    This sounds like a line from a Swiss watch advertisement but its so true :)

18. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I think the measure of a true classic is that they dominated in their own time and are STILL loved today for the same reasons. For the Cab20 in the 80s, I remember matches where out of 12 players, 9 or 10 would be using it. It seemed to be everywhere. It was a racket so far ahead of its competitors, not using it would put even a good player at a disadvantage.

And 25 years on, people still buy it, use it and love it. Like someone said, how many cameras or computers could you say that about? And I don't mean use as a novelty antique for sentimental value, but for its actual performance today.

I have to agree with Kwun, it seems there are no outstanding classics anymore. The last racket I would even think of giving that title to would be the Ti-10 or the AT700. But there are pretty old now. Why aren't Yonex (or anyone else) coming out with something that can truly give us the WOW factor and dominate? Too many companies? Too many rackets?

I hope we will see a racket soon (from whoever) that really impresses and is so good that people will totally fall in love with it.

19. tenchi

tenchi Regular Member

I think Cab21 ought to make the list too.

20. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Not really, I can still order them in US. Let me know if you want one.