The European Championships 2008

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2008' started by seawell, Feb 7, 2008.

1. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Thanks for the info :)
    Looks like pretty strong lines-up

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I like the DEN line up. At least they've got some up and coming youngsters in MS. Quite like that Mikkelson bloke too.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[​IMG] Billie Martin Larsen eh!? Or Billie Jean? :p (it's Martin Bille Larsen).

#103 demolidor, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Must have had a Michael Jackson tune in my head at that time :D:D

5. akskytt

akskytt Regular Member

student
    and he did it again

even more impressed as he won again today against Dieter Domke from Germany. A player that I haven't heard of before really. But he was happy and in the interview at tv afterwards he admitted to having the time of his life and that at the moment he couldn't even focus on the match tomorrow because he was up flying - and that now he wanted to taste atleast bronze...

in the all dane mixed today Laybourne/rytter juhl retired due to illness and no more strengh from Laybourne's side. So unfortunatly the two Danish pairs only played two tied and exiting games.

Tine won over Yao Jie in a two sets game, and felt very lucky to have defeated one of the few other women left in world topten.

6. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

Congratz to Jan O Jorgensen, he's playing a great tournament...even though he beat Dieter Domke today :D
    Germany has to improve drastically on it's MS, hopefully Marc Zwiebler and the young Domke will show more good results in future events.

7. LI De Quan

LI De Quan Regular Member

student
    Can they earn points by participate in European Mixed Team Championships 2008??

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

looks like Jan O jorgensen road will come to an end 2day as he face the top seeds kennth jonassen..

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Persson vs Wacha

Who will win? :) Head-to-head is 6-1 in favor of Persson but the last meeting was quite a while ago and this is not the same Wacha anymore. Wonder how long the Polish have had Chinese(?) Asian coaches ... ?
    I think the final would be more exciting if Wacha would win since Joachim Persson never seems able to beat Kenneth J. So for a win-win situation I've PAW'ed Persson and if he loses I get the final I like to see more :rolleyes:;).

10. akskytt

akskytt Regular Member

student
    i'm not totally sure how it works for the continental champs such as the euro champs. Anyhow i know that Dicky Palyama won't qualifye for the Olympics hence he didn't make it to the semifinals (when loosing to Jan Ø yesterday) which was the national demand to qualifye
    it's a bid sad really - it's always happening for Dicky like that, it was the same case in 2000 and 2004

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:eek: Wow Robertson/Emms lost set two 21-10! And behind 5-1 in the 3rd on the side that won them the first set :rolleyes:...

12. HTE2008

HTE2008 Regular Member

Photo editor
    Yay Eriksen & Lundgaard are in the final. Was rather scared to see them lose the first set.

I'm really hoping that Jens & Martin will win tomorrow. There has been a lot of talk recently that they are too old and that Boe & Mogensen should get the Olympic Selection instead. Mathias & Carsten are a great upcoming pair but they'll get plenty of chances in the coming years.

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D They are too old, just look at their results for the last year outside of Denmark. If they want to be tourists in Beijing they should book a holiday. Boe & Mogensen will be 4 years older already in London ... the future is NOW ;).

14. HTE2008

HTE2008 Regular Member

Photo editor
    Jens & Martin will prove you wrong. They have achieved their best results after all the "experts" have said that their time had passed. Much like Poul-Erik Høyer ;)

15. HTE2008

HTE2008 Regular Member

Photo editor
    Kamilla Rytter Juhl & Lena Fier Kristiansen are European Champions 2008 :)
    Really impressive that they could beat Gail & Donna

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I hope they will prove me wrong but for the last year time and time again the results have been pretty poor. Let's hope they will show it at the Thomas Cup :cool:

Juhl playing at home, how could they not win ;). Emms/ Kellogg are overestimated I think, not overrated but overestimated (is probably the exact same thing but for me an estimate is more of a general feeling whereas rated is based on actual results etc.). For me it wasn't really a big surprise :). Even picked it for my PAW ...

#116 demolidor, Apr 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Upcoming pair :eek::confused:????

Mathias Boe himself is turning 28 this year (born in 1980). Carsten Mogensen is probably around the same age, probably 26 or 27 this year.

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

By that time, Boe will be 32 yo...wow...most Asian players would have retired before 30 (like Ha Tae Kwon and Kim Dong Moon).

19. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

For Danish standards that's pretty young...for asian standards that's verging on "uncle" levels.:D

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Congratulations to Kenneth Jonassen for winning his first European Championships title, beating Joachim Persson 21-13, 21-16! He didn't lose a single set in all the 6 matches played this week, nor the 3 matches played during the Mixed Team Championships.