Tian Houwei ( 田厚威 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2013.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    What his wise mother said is true

What his wise mother said is true. THW will need to work hard to stay at his top form.

But it's great for him to have defeated World No.1, LCW. This would boost his confidence in future tournaments. But it could also add extra pressure on him, because other players are all wanting to defeat him from now on. :):):)

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

No need to wait further.....he lost to Anand Pawar in straight-sets.

3. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Back to his mediocre performance of the last 3 years? Hopefully not. What happened to his strong defense today. I noticed that AP pounded down no less than 20 smashes against him. Will not speculate on his defeat. A defeat is a defeat. This defeat is part of his learning curve. A good player must not only know why he won but also why he lost.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I couldn't agree with you more, well said.

5. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    No worries. This remind me of DPY. The difference is that THW won a title. THW played 3 or 4 three sets games last week. I did't expect him to win here. A good rest and preventing injury are more important in view of his previous back injury.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't think he will pull a Li Xuerui here. we will have to keep watching his progress in the next few months.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Agree, that's why Li Xuerui is a phenomenon, the number of back-to-back tournaments she'd won. Still the sudden emergence of Tian Houwei the last one week is refreshing,stirring the badminton world and temporarily overshadowing Wang Zhengming's Swiss Open performance. I mean how many countries would love to have a Tian Houwei.

8. icey_drone

icey_drone Regular Member

Student
    After beating Lee Chong Wei in semi-final and claiming Australian Open title

Loses to Anand Pawar in 1st round of New Zealand Open... =="

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Btw,the Chinese article posted by kwun also mentioned that Tian Houwei is considered weaker than Qiao Bin, so nobody gave him a chance against Lee CW, just able to take one set would be good already.

For sure that dramatic,spectacular victory over Lee CW has given THW a huge boost, just what every growing, up-and-coming player needs to rise further. I don't think this setback - 1st round defeat by Anand Pawar - could be damaging or in any way undo the immense gain he'd achieved. Plenty of 'capital' to draw on. Strive on with diligence, Tian Houwei !

10. icey_drone

Student
    I'm glad Australian Open is the tournament he won't forget

His breakthrough to international badminton by defeating the world #1 and taking his first GP title

11. kaitamasaki

kaitamasaki Regular Member

12. icey_drone

Student
    Now that Houwei is out, I hope it's Qiao Bin's turn to take the title!

Gao Huan and Xue Song have equal chance

13. bura836

bura836 Regular Member

accountant
    Qiao Bin is also out. I think It will be Xue Song's turn to fight for the title with Simon, Korea, or India.

14. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Agree, just look at how CL did after his first win over the same big name...

inconsistence is the trademark of young guns, no matter how good one is. see how quick he could stable himself like nowadays' CL.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2013 NZ Open : Tian Houwei was out in Round 1

http://bwfcontent.tournamentsoftwar...d=EB1753E3-7496-4E62-9F3C-10A070C164A9&draw=2

Perhaps, it was because Tian Houwei was overworked 3 days' ago.

I believe that Simon Santoso will win the 2013 New Zealand Open Mens Singles title.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Like I've said elsewhere, in my humble opinion, consistency is what separates the good from great players. And I add,among the great players what differentiates one from the other is their natural talent and mental strength.

For Tian Houwei, the fact that he has beaten Lee CW in a rousing match proved he can go further as it was achieved early in his career, for how many can really overcome Lee CW the last five years when he (LCW) is at the top of his game.

17. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

now he should have learn that beat WR#1 sure make him a phenomenon for one day, but still nobody if he can not keep his good performance. hope he can work on it if he want to establish his name in the bigger stage.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are many one time wonders in badminton who made it huge in one occasion but never been able to keep it up, some that comes to mind are Hafiz, Gopichand, Ji Xinpeng. They have at one or a few occasions beaten the best of the best in badminton, but never able to keep up their performance.

Tian's achievement is much less than the ones mentioned above, beating Lee Chong Wei once in a GP Gold tournament is great, but we only take notice because of his being relatively unknown to us. Everyone like to see a no-namer coming from no where beating the world number one. But we have to look at him from a bigger perspective and not just one tournament alone. From now on, he will have to prove his mettle by consistently reaching higher and higher rounds in future tournaments.

His failure in the New Zealand Open is also not that surprising. It is not uncommon for someone to win the first of consecutive tournament only to fail miserable in the latter one. Fatigue and lack of recovery is usually the blame. afterall it is likely that their opponent didn't have to play close matches the whole week prior.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It should be interesting to follow Tian Houwei in his next tournament

Well, it should be interesting to follow Tian Houwei in his next tournament.

I've got a feeling that CBA will now not enter THW in many tournaments in future.

We might see him next in a Super Series and/or a more important tournament.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Rashid Sidek commented that Lee CW's defeat could not be attributed to his recent recovery from illness (I think he caught a flu after the All England) which affected his training, not an excuse. He praised Tian Houwei for the unexpected outstanding performance and for playing in such a mature and steady manner.