Tian Houwei ( 田厚威 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

According to one report, subject to final confirmation on the 3rd May, both Lin Dan and Tian Houwei are in together with Chen Long as MS1 and Du Pengyu as MS2 for the CHN Thomas Cup squad. http://sports.qq.com/a/20140502/000536.htmThat's right, Wang Zhengming has been dropped in favour of Tian Houwei.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Forgot to add that for the CHN MD, Fu Haifeng and Cai Yun are re-formed as a pair for the Thomas Cup, the other two MD combinations being Chai Biao/Hong Wei and Liu Xiaolong/Qiu Zihan.Obviously, as CHN MD is known to be their weak link, CHN wants to have a highly experienced pair, i.e. Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng, who can handle the big occasion better.

3. indrg

indrg Regular Member

weil I believe there is a quota of 10 players allowed for each Thomas and Uber Cup from any countries.

4. IvanT

IvanT Regular Member

Student
    I like this young guy, I'm going to keep an eye for him and see his progress in tournaments.. Hope he starts winning some tournaments this year.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Tian Houwei is now ranked 16th at the BWF World Mens Singles Rankings

Today, 04-May-2014, Tian Houwei is ranked 16th at the BWF World Mens Singles Rankings.

Hope that he can make it to the Top 10 at this BWF World Mens Singles Rankings soon (and remain there later this year, 2014).

Link: http://bwfcontent.tournamentsoftware.com/ranking/category.aspx?id=6829&category=472

6. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
  7. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Yes , TIAN Houwei live to the expectation and win , with Lin dan resting.

8. Mobc1990

Mobc1990 Regular Member

9. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

This guy has lost to eric pang. He has lot to go before he could go far. Eric is old. He has been playing way back in 2002. So the new generation of Badminton players cant even beat 3rd Tier players from 2 generations ago.

10. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I still think that LYB has confidence in Tian Houwei (to support his other teammates)

So, whom would you think who could be our next CBA player to come in to support CHN Singles Players, like Lin Dan, Chen Long, Wang Zhengming, Du Pengyu, etc, etc, ...... ?

I still think that LYB has confidence in Tian Houwei (that THW is the one to support his other teammates).

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I just hope Tian Houwei doesn't become another Wang ZM, talented but lacking the x-factor to rise to the top. Still early days yet in his career, let's give him some more time to develop his game and realize his full potential.

On the other hand, I'd love to see other CHN junior players given more opportunities to prove themselves at the senior level. Who knows, another superstar might emerge from among them soon enough to reinforce CHN MS. At the moment, I've in mind Liu Kai, Xue Song and the WJC'14,Lin Guipu, and the YOG'14, Shi Yuqi.

13. antssantss

Retired
    Justin L has answered the question as to who should replace the senior players. My surprise as to the current ''vacuum'' in the MS is that the succession plan is so slow. I am not saying they can replace Lin Dan, They should be ready to step into the seniors shoes. All the other countries send their juniors out to the circuit but I dont see that happening for the Chinese juniors. Lin Gui Pu and Shi Yuqi went to Europe this year and look at their recent performance. And Lui Kai is another example. The first time I saw him play he had beaten K Momota and Srikanth. And that was his first meeting with them . Why wasnt he placed as a possible candidate for this purpose.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Perhaps coach LYB is playing favoritism again

Your suggestion wasn't meant to be dismissed. :):):)

Yes, younger players like;
    * Liu Kai
    * Lin Guipu
    * Shi Yuqi
    * Xue Song
    * etc, etc, ...
    should be given more chances in participating in more tournaments.

As I see it, coach LYB isn't impressed by them yet. Or, perhaps LYB is playing favoritism again, like he has done several times before (a display of partiality toward favored players and/or province associations).

However, as we know, most CHN players aren't usually rushed into their top teams (men/women) until they have shown more proven results.

#134 chris-ccc, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  15. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Lin Guipu looks most promising , Shi Yuqi looks like another CL.

hmm

16. antssantss

Retired
    Favouritism? No wonder we are seeing this happening. There is a lack of a long term plan. Younger players are not groomed to take over quikly enough and are only put ''on stage'' when they are getting on, eg THW and XS. Then there are some others who havent performed like GH and CY that are kept on for far too long.

17. antssantss

Retired
    IMHO SY has a bright future. He has speed, deception and power. He has a lighter frame too. LG has a heavier build. What is impressive about Sy is that having lost to LG in the WJC and European junior events he has improved on that.
    They are two exciting players and I am sure there are others too.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2014-11-18/12387414614.shtml Some Q & A with Tian Houwei (my translation, leaving out the names of questioners)

Thanks to the Australian Open 2013 defeat on Lee Chong Wei, Tian Houwei, this suntanned lad from Fujian became an overnight sensation. This year (2015), Tian HW started to take part in the World Championships, Asian Games and such big events, becoming an important men's singles newcomer to be nurtured by Team China.Even though high hopes are placed on him, Tian HW still wish to go forward one step at a time,and progress steadily.

Q: How do you feel about your participation in this year's world championships? Are you satisfied with your performance?
    THW: Nervous and excited at the same time. Excited because the WC is to me a hugely important compeition and it was the first time I participated, I believe anybody facing this kind of situation would be excited. Nervous because it's the first time I played in such a big event,was hoping to do well, had a bit more expectation, wished to achieve good results, and imperceptibly gave myself more pressure. Performance-wise, good and bad; good as I won the opening round, bad as I lost in round two. On the whole it was unsatisfactory, after all I failed to play to form and not up to my standard; therefore, I did a summing-up after that and comprehensively ascertained where my problems lay.

Q: How do you evaluate your current form? As your older teammates retire gradually, what plans are you making, esp when our men's singles are now at a low point, how do you prepare for it?
    THW: My present form? Just normal(laughs). Haven't thought much about my future plans, take one step at a time. Regardless of new replacing the old and men's singles in the trough,I just have to do my part every day, let myself make progress day by day. Only when everybody does that, can the whole team improve. I hope as I get better, I can contribute to the team to grow in strength.

Q: About the Rio Olympics, what's your thought?
    THW: Haven't thought that far, after all there's still two more years. As far as I'm concerned, thinking too far may not be beneficial to my progress.

Q: Your ultimate dream is the Olympic Games?
    THW: Definitely! I think it's the same for every athlete, it's my dream since young. When I was 14 and still a member of the Fujian provincial team, my coach asked me what my dream was, I answered, to be Olympic champion.

Q: Who is your badminton idol? Your near future goals?
    THW: My badminton idol is Taufik Hidayat. From young I watched him play,he's natural and unrestrained,moreover so terrific, achieved great results, simply cool. As for near-term goals, first of all is the Asian Games, of course;hope to do well in my first Asian Games, thereafter to be steadfast in my daily training.

Q: Among the active badminton players, who do you admire most?
    THW: Brother Dan ! First of all, I and him are alike left-handed, and then he made a lot of great achievements, he's the object of my study and hard work, you can say he's my idol now.

Q: You and Lin Dan are both lefties, ever feel a lefty has an advantage over a righty in the game?
    THW: Perhaps everyone feels differently, I see no advantage, about the same. You see I'm lefty, I also have wins and losses, I don't think a lefty has any advantage.

Q Compared with the world's top men's singles players, what do you think is your greatest weakness?
    THW: Firstly, my tactical mastery and level of proficiency are still not sufficient, esp during the key points in a match where the shortcomings appear more prominent. Another point is the mentality, compared with older players, my state of mind is not stable enough.

Q: Having seen your match with Brother Dan at the CHN Masters, I'd like to ask Houwei, compared with Lin Dan, in what aspects you still need to improve?
    THW: Compared with Brother Dan, the areas I need to improve are really a lot; I feel what I need most is mental stability and control. Brother Dan has taken part in numerous tournaments, his experience is vast, his psychological adjustment ability is far beyond mine. Technically, I haven't reach his level of perfection and maturity, this is highly important. After all, during competition, one's mentality, form and luck, etc are factors subject to change,the only thing one can rely on, the most dependable is one's tactical standard, that is one's absolute strength. In this aspect, there's a considerable gap comparing myself with Brother Dan.

Q: How did you get involved in badminton?
    THW: When I was little, my working parents have no time to take care of me, so they left me at my grandma's place, at that time my younger brother was staying there too. Then my brother enrolled in his school's badminton interest training class, as my health was no good, my family let me join my brother in the program. As time went by I grew to like the game, that's how I took this path of badminton.

Q: Along the way, who are you most grateful to?
    THW: Am most grateful to my coaches, at different stages of my life, they incessantly help me to grow and progress, only then can I have today's achievements.

Q: Remember the first time you went abroad for competition?
    THW: It's 2009 to Malaysia for the Asian Junior Championships. At that time, I feel very happy,the first time I donned national colours with my name emblazoned to play abroad; as a child, I must be very excited. There I got champion in men's singles, delighted, but the team lost, unfortunately.

Q: Were you born lefty or became one for the sake of gaining advantage in badminton? In addition, I think you are very handsome.
    THW: I was born to use the left hand by habit. From the start, I used my left hand and my coach actually let me switch to right hand. But the next day I would naturally switch to holding the racquet with the left hand, well, my coach tried a few times to make me switch to the right hand unsuccessfully, felt it was in vain in the end, and decided to let me be. Me handsome? Haha,well, I don't think so, haha !

Q:I want to ask, Hou Wei, how do you get so tan?
    THW: Mainly the training is rather tough, haha. When I was young and training in Fujian,often there would be some outdoor running and such drills, the sun there is searing, and there were more outdoor training then,and I trained very hard, that's how I became so tanned.

Q: Who are you closest to in the national team?
    THW: My relationship with everybody is very good, our group is very united, haha. But I play more with the men's team as we share a common topic.

Q: What kind of person do you think you are?
    THW: My biggest characteristic is I'm quite stubborn,basically once I set my mind on something, nothing anybody says can get into my head. Am better now, if what others say is right, I will also listen to some opinions,but basically I will still stick to my own views.

Q: Can you introduce your hometown? Is there any fine food that's constantly on your mind?
    THW: My hometown is in Fuzhou, Fujian province, there's just too much to introduce.Just to mention one: the sky is bluer than Beijing's,the air is cleaner, haha! My favourite hometown cuisine is thread noodles, don't know how to describe it, just not so chewy as ordinary noodles,but it tastes smooth, very pleasant to savour. What I love most to eat is my mum's chicken soup with thread noodles.

Q: Apart from badminton circles, any favourite movie stars, celebrities? And why?
    THW: At the moment I prefer Xiao Jing Teng, feel that he's a sort of sibilating voice,get a kick out of listening to it!

Q: In pastime activities, what are you good at? Any hobbies?
    THW: Actually, I'm rather lazy when it comes to pastime, don't care much for it.As for what I'm good at, it's enjoying treatment relaxation after training. My hobby is to eat out, haha.

Q: What did you plan for your first pay packet?
    THW: I remember it was before the 2009 National Games,at that time I just became a member of the provincial team and got my first salary. At the time, I didn't think of doing anything, simply saved it into my account card, and later passed it to my mum, that's it.

{The End}

19. antssantss

Retired

Thanks for the information on THW.
    He is a very exciting player but presently a bit disappointing. Hope he can improve.

There is another left handed player, Korean Kim Dong Hoon. Very exciting and talented.

20. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I spotted Tian Houwei standing at attention in front of Li Yongbo at the Singapore Open this evening after his loss to Hu Yun in the quarterfinals. Seems like he was getting a lecture from Li Yongbo