Tips for using head heavy racket

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pakhisana, Jan 13, 2022 at 11:36 PM.

1. pakhisana

pakhisana New Member

Hi all, I recently purchased a yonex astrox 88d pro to use alongside my nanoflare 800. I’ve always used head light rackets (my previous one is ns 9900) but wanted to add some power to my smashes.

What are some tips to transition to a head heavy racket for a player like me who’s used to light rackets. I also heard that heavier rackets are more likely to cause injuries. What are somethings I should watch out for specifically shoulder injuries.

2. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Head heavy is not the same as a heavy racket. Head heavy has just an other balance between head and grip, but roughly the same weight.

One reason for injuries could be a high demanding racket, where you need to add some effort into using it which could result in injuries due to over useage (like golf/tennis elbow etc.), an other reason could be wrong technique. So, while the first reason depends a lot on how stiff your racket is or how hard your tension is, the latter could depend on how balanced your racket is. E.g. if you smash with snapping your wrist instead of rotating your forarm, a head-heavy racket could put more strain on your wrist.

The power of a smash depends on so many factors, that a head heavy racket will not necessarily improves it a lot. Many double players have head-light rackets while keeping a very hard smash, in general I would say, that a head heavy rackets helps you more with stronger strokes, like deeper clears, defensive lifts and ,yes, stronger smashes while giving up quick racket movement and reaction. The latter is more important in doubles, while the first is more important in singles.

3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

First of all, head heavy rackets are not more likely to cause injuries. Bad technique is. Since you cannot guarantee good technique, just try to find a racket that you're comfortable with.

What "causes" injuries is the hard impact and vibrations. Especially combined with overhead movements. A heavier racket can just as well help ease the impact (more weight, especially compared to the shuttle).

The thickness of your grip is something to have a look at as well. Find something you're comfortable with.

The thing about head heavy rackets is that you'll be exposed when you're not ready. When you are ready, they're not that much slower than other rackets, even in fast, flat exchanges, because you don't need to accelerate the racket as much to get the same speed to the shuttle.

That being said, it's also not automatic that your smash will be harder with a head heavy racket.

So my advise: Be ready. Don't be lazy after you hit.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I guest this is my world being Heavy Hammer fans:p. I will skip the injury detail as others had mention it.

How to wield HH racket (keep in mind this is based on my experience, might not always right but hopefully it help)
    1. Dont be lazy. Always be ready after every shot coz its... Uummmm heavy, its obviously slower to swing around. So never put your racket down no matter what.
    2. Learn to shift you hand holding your racket up & down. Hold a racket closer to the cone could nullify its great swing force so its easier to move around on fast games. Shift to the end of the handle to gain the most juice of force for powerfull shot. But remember, doing so would makes your racket longer or shorter. Your shot accuracy might affected but if you master it, its a great help.
    3. Do some physical training. Shifting from HL to HH racket will tired you faster for sure & pretty sure on your 1st games with it you feel sore the next day. Cheap way is to find unused plastic bottle, fill it with sand & do shadow smashing movement daily routine.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If it's a 4U racquet and you play regularly, I don't think you will have much problem. I don't think it's very head heavy at all.

Poor technique and repetition cause injuries. You can protect against shoulder injuries by exercising the small muscles of the rotator cuff - theraband exercises can be found on YouTube.

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Hhhmmmm
    I notice some few new member did something similar.
    Ask a thing & after few days, they reply their own question, saying their problem solved. As if they got some blessing & their problem are magically gone.
    Am i the only one feel it or its actually a habbit or culture somewhere or what?

7. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Thoght this question was fimiliar and found why:
    Screenshot_20220115-210855_Reddit.jpg
    Could be that OP wanted to see if he would get similar responses over here, but looking at how much more active OP was in the Badminton subreddit and how he responded I have a strong doubt that they are the same person...

Cheung likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think it's a type of spam. There is a quotation to the original post and a link has been inserted into that which wasn't in the original post.