Tony Gunawan/Howard Bach going strong

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by the_way, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- If TG & HB have nothing to lose, why can't KKK & TBH have the same approach??..Why do they need to be "under higher pressure"?..Who told them to be "under higher pressure"?? Who's putting them under pressure?? danielwong told them??..:confused:
    - As for the role of media, no i never mentioned nor brought up the role of media in the first place. Nor i have the facts or when KKK & TBH said it. I mentioned "media" and how KKK & TBH is pressured by the media because someone else brought up & mentioned the "you can see M'sian newspaper" in the first place??...I wonder who mentioned it??hmmm??..
    - The reason why i ask whether they are the expected pair or the favorite pair to win is to point out that if they are indeed NOT the expected pair or the favorite to win, then there shouldn't be any pressure. At least not to a point to say "the pressure is on the M'sians". And since they are just 1 of several pairs to win, then IMO, there shouldn't be any pressure, if minimal at best.
    - There is no flip-flopping...:cool:

#41 ctjcad, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

- No.1, KKK/TBH have to handle the pressure themselves....whether they can
    handle it like TG/HB is up to them....danielwong didnt told them to be under high pressure...i just predict....thank you....:cool::cool:
    -er....does Malaysia media expected them to win means the media is pressuring them????? mentioning and pressuring is 2 different words...
    i used Msian media to prove your point that they are just one of the expected pair to win.....not that they are being pressured by the media?? my goodness......:D:D and YES, i brought up the media issue, no hiding...but i think i didnt interprete wrongly...
    -every favourites pair have pressure....whoever can handle it, chances of them winning is higher....MD competition is very intense....many factors count...
    -back to game.....very intense now!!! :D:D

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

So, who's really putting the pressure on KKK & TBH??..

- My original post basically questioned yyclub's post. So, if danielwong didn't tell them to be under high pressure, who is to say "The pressure is on the M'sians". Is it really on them??..
    - I don't know whether M'sian media expected them to win. I only take it from your post. I only see the words "expected" and "pressuring". To me, they mean roughly the same. If the media mentioned that, then who made the notion to the media that they are just one of the expected pairs to win?? I'm sure someone suggested it..

#43 ctjcad, Aug 14, 2009
  4. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    A Big We

THE ANSWER...All the experts, taiko, sinsheh here put high pressure on KKK/TBH to win....simple answer, from start not much hope on TG/HB to go far in this tourney but they managed to overcome all obstacles to reach QF...
    while KKK/TBH being "EXPECTED/ PRESSURED" (roughly same meaning according to Oxford) by media by highlighting them as just one of the favourites......must overcome the EXPECTATION/PRESSURE to win....
    as what you said, all the fav carry the same pressure tag...whoever can managed will take the holy grail...
    simple conclusion to what we discussed...
    :D:D:D

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I'm no part of the Big We..

- Please lah, don't include me in the Big We.:eek: I never put any pressure or big/high pressure/expectation on KKK & TBH to win or even be one of the pairs to win because i just don't think they are faves or good enough to pull it out. If you've read, for this yr's WC, I've only put expectation/pressure on 1 or maybe even 2 pairs to reach the Final & win it all:LYD & JJS and CY & FHF (since MK & HS withdrew). The rest of the pairs have equal chance.
    - So do you believe the media, all the experts, taikoh, sinsheh??..
    - I never mentioned "all the faves carry the same pressure tag". All i mentioned was "all pairs are even steven and have the same pressure" since you mentioned "there are no players who will say they have no pressure".
    The pairs which, IMO, deserve "pressure" are the 2 pairs i mentioned above.

#45 ctjcad, Aug 14, 2009
  6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    and yes,we won
    but surely,tony/bach is not easy meat
    congrates for koo/tan:)

7. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

too bad they lost against KKK

8. sting1988

sting1988 Regular Member

School
    They lost in 3 games...well at least they could bring a bronze back if they beat the other malaysian.

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

<yawn> It's obvious that the pressure is on KKK/TBH as the WR#2 pair & 2nd seed, esp after MK/Hendra withdrew. On paper, they are next in line to win. They are the ones expected to go far this WC in doubles (Rexy mentioned as such) as FUzzy pair has not been performing well, supposed is no hope. In fact, Fuzzy's chances were rated lower than WPT/CEH (by the sports reporters), haha.
    All of this have been repeated in the Msian media many times.

THe USA MD, well, they're unseeded....of course they have nothing to lose.

It's not so much the media , it's also the powers-that-be. The Sports Minister went to airport to send them off, gave them sending off makan, told them he bought tickets to WC FInals & said he wants to see their faces during the finals.
    In any case, this is the usual, the players need to face it lor. ;)

Now.... for baddy in US, who would care much if Tony/Howard went to finals or won? Would they have gotten this type of <unnecessary> attention? As I recall, you all have been lamenting on lack of interest for baddy there.

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow, when astro was broadcasting the ws match between zhou mi and xxf, my heart and mind and my soul keep concentrating on the adjacent court..this excting md match..:cool: i could hear cheering from some of the spectators and loud smashing sound all around.. i was very kan chiong when the usa pair leading..until at one end, i heard tan boon heong shouting in delight, i begin to be in happy mood..and yeah, they manage to beat bach/gunawan!:)

next up for them: korea jjs/lyd..it will be very very very tough though;)

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Should the title of this thread be changed??..

- Well, yawn as much as you like and believe all the media as you like.:eek: Did you read my last post above & see who i mentioned should be the faves?? Eventhough Ah Koo & Ah Tan are seeded #2, in my book, LYD & JJS and CY & FHF are the faves. Those 2 pairs are the real faves.
    - Thank you for confirming it was the powers that be that bestowed them the unnecessary pressure & attention. That's right, the players need to brace for it. And for the many thousand of M'sian BCers' sake in here, how many times have Ah Koo & Ah Tan seen & heard abt this?? And they still can't cope with the pressure even when playing away from homeground??..
    - Personally, it's correct that Tony & Howie shouldn't get this unnecessary attention because in my book they are not the faves.
    Yes, we've been lamenting abt the lack of interest in baddy in the U.S. What about it??..

Anyway, we've definitely veered off topic and the match is over....there's really nothing more to discuss unless you want the mods to change the thread's title to "KKK/TBH going strong"????...:confused:

12. eaglehelang

- That's here in BC. Daniel Wong was refering to media. You two - one person talking abt A, the other B. Whether we BC members put pressure on whoever pair/player, we cant, LOL, we're not the decision makers.
    - Uncles CTF/LWW still couldnt fully cope with the pressure even after 10 years as Msia no 1 MD.
    - It's connected to the topic of "pressure"

In any case, that was my 1st reply to that, since you & Daniel been talking abt it for some time, haha. :D

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Pressure's on, pressure's off??..

- I knew danielwong was going to bring up the M'sian media. After all, everytime there's a mention of pressure in the M'sian camp, all the fingers automatically point to the media or the BAM folks. Thing is, everyone seems to believe what the media is writing/hyping up.
    I know we BCers can't put any pressure on the players. But guess what yyclub actually wrote. Who's mentioning the word "pressure"??
    - I'm sorry if uncles Ah Choong and Ah Lee couldn't fully cope with pressure for the last umpteenth yrs of their baddy career..
    - Is the original topic of the thread discussing abt "pressure"?? *reading the title of the thread*

Yes, i thank you for your participation. It's pretty much irrelevant now is it?? ;)

#53 ctjcad, Aug 14, 2009
  14. eaglehelang

Nope, it was about TG/Howard of course. The sub topic was, connecting it to Tony/Howard's case lah.

And as uncles, they're considered going strong, they did beat Boe/Morgenson to reach this far.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- The sub topic has nothing to do with Tony & Howard's case. If indirectly, yes. This whole little discussion was a spin off from one member mentioning "The pressure is on the M'sian"...Who's putting the pressure if not from a member??..:confused:
    - The way i see it, uncle Tony, basically beat Boe & Mogensen, all by himself..;)

16. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

they've beated a few seeded players
    i wounder when there going to be seeded in world ranks

17. rebsinfx

rebsinfx Regular Member

Bach is a strong player but he needs to polish his game. He has a lot of errors on court. Although he is entertaining to watch.

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i think next tony gunawan will be pairing up with chandra wijaya/..;)

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    still,they are one of the strong forces