TOTAL BWF SUDIRMAN Cup 2017 : Group Stage Matches (21st-24th May)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Ehmm any recommendation of vpn plugin for chrome? Hola does not work that well.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don't think they can be regarded as a fringe pair. More apt to say they are dark horses to keep an eye on.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Wanda is a sponsor of Sudirman Cup..

wow, this is good news.

Maybe this is what China Badminton Super League has been waiting for--a sponsor with lots of cash!!

4. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

WTH is going on with the Japan team? Kento Momota still not cleared to play? Enough is enough already... at this point they're just shooting themselves in the foot. They have nothing else to show in MS...

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

it has been a kept secret that chen qingchen is over age

looking at her face today makes me think even more so.

John I'm likes this.
  6. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Well agreed that she looks older then her age, but appearance can be deceptive.
    And that's a blatant accusation to make, and without any evidence, one can say a suicide attempt on this forum

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ok. so what's the problem? she doesn't play juniors anymore.

8. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Stop wasting your time with google, chrome, internet explorer, etc. and get connected to the real internet with vpn-enabled browsers like opera...

9. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

You're confusing sports with Hollywood-- what keeps sports free of politics and drama is that everyone agrees to follow the rules...

Kento Momota hasn't been in the professional circuit for over a year-- including him in the team will only PULL DOWN the composite world ranking of Japan's Sudirman team and affect its seeding-- why do you think Japan, China, Korea and Denmark are drawn in separate groups?

10. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Sorry to burst your bubble-- but the trouble with CBSL is NOT the lack of sponsors (Chinese sports sponsors are already buying up European players/ teams), but the sponsorship set-ups (read: "restrictions") themselves...

The EXCLUSIVE deal (retired coach) Li Yongbo signed with Li-Ning for the ENTIRE national team makes all other sports sponsors reluctant to have anything to do with members of the national badminton team-- unless you are Li Dan and willing fight Li Yongbo/ Li-Ning for your other sponsors-- and the CBSL is obviously filled with members of the Chinese national team.

Eg. notice how Japanese players wear their club logos on the Super Series circuit? Chinese (national team) players can't do that. (The Japanese clubs/ sponsors are truly "professional/ commercialized"; that's why they immediately disassociated themselves with Kenta Momota/ underground gambling)

So while the CBSL itself will go on because Li-Ning itself quite happy to sponsor it if no one else does (yay, more exposure for members of the national team already sponsored by Li-Ning), the "professional" CLUBS are running into debt because nobody wants to buy/ sponsor players who only represent them 3 months out of a year for salaries close to the Super Series prizes (don't blame the players, who are super series winners themselves) with bad ticket sales and no television coverage; oh, did I mention that the CBSL doesn't have TV sponsors (CCTV5 may cover it as a matter of national news/ interest)?

The ROI for club/ sponsors in the CBSL is just no good for top-tier sponsors who are rich enough to sponsor fully televised events like the Sudirman Cup or World Championship (or even go shopping in Europe); while local/ regional sponsors can't really afford the "going" rate of most members of national team-- whom you could say are victims of their own success?

Badminton is a popular enough sport in China that ex-national team players can actually make a living by playing, coaching, and even running AMATEUR leagues (Yang Yang has his own club-resort thing)-- but the "professional" league is... essentially an extended Li-Ning advertisement as far, as commercialization goes.

Monopolies are often great for public utilities, but bad for the free flow of goods and service-- Chinese badminton is still trying to figure if it is a public utility or a free flow of goods and services...

#30 Forestal, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    pcll99 and Cheung like this.
  11. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

What you mean by "going all out" (Ivanoz/Sozonov playing XD + MD) is actually a gamble-- even in the European Mixed Team Championship, it worked against England but not Denmark... so it's a probably a better idea to "go all out" or gamble vs Taipei than Korea.

Cos even if the Russians take XD + MD, Taipei will probably take MS + WS, making WD the deciding match... dicey, any way you look at it

But Ivanov/ Sozonov had a pretty slow start yesterday, so I don't know if they will be up for double duty today-- I hope they will, cos they might end up going home early either way... Steen Pedersen had an even crazier idea of making Ivanoz/ Sozonov play MS again!

12. Master

Master Regular Member

TOTAL BWF Sudirman Cup 2017 | Badminton Day 2 Group Stage - Group 1D

DEN vs IND

Order of Play : http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...9D5AE85E-5686-4389-95E6-D700293D2329&match=70

1. XD : Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Christinna Pedersen vs Satwiksairaj Rankireddy/Ashwini Ponnappa
    2. MS : Viktor Axelsen vs Ajay Jayaram
    3. MD : Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen vs Manu Attri/B. Sumeeth Reddy
    4. WS : Line Kjaersfeldt vs Pusarla V. Sindhu
    5. WD : Kamilla Rytter Juhl/Christinna Pedersen vs Ashwini Ponnappa/Reddy N. Sikki

Live Streaming:

13. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Duh, BECAUSE they became world No.1, of course!

Never confuse Young Adult Novels with sports or reality-- Zheng/ Chen made their mark because they had the element of "surprise/ novelty" on their side and most other teams were adjustings themselves after Rio 2016... Like most distinguished team/ players, their strengths and weakness are quite pronounced and their opponents have simply learned to play to their weaknesses.

(*cough* haven't you noticed how short they are; how they must play W-front + M-back *cough*).

IOW, if you can't see what they are doing wrong and what their opponents are doing right, then you need to put down "A Hero's Journey" or whatever fiction you're reading (& maybe pick "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" instead), and learn what the sport of badminton actually involves.

(hint: play over Chen and move Zheng from side to side; push Chen away from the net, etc-- Zheng/ Chen basically play like Lu Kai/ Yaqiong and a standard Chinese XD barring Zhang Nan/ Zhao Yunlei, except that they have to make up for Lu/Huang's height & reach with their mobility & reflexes-- which is a greater day-to-day variable than something like height or skill)

#33 Forestal, May 21, 2017
    jma97 likes this.
  14. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Trying it now. Thanks.

Well.. was considering opera.. but it does not have vpn by tabs like hola.. (good speed though).

Surprising for me that CHN still plays Fu Heifeng and Zhang Nan.. i mean, shouldn't they give their younger players a go?

15. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Opera has vpn tabs and options-- you either haven't found them or the opera version for your machine still hasn't incorporated them yet...

CHN has only 1 other stable MD and they are in the team, but as reserves apparently-- I mean, if they are not playing the youngsters against HKG, I don't think they'll play them against the stronger Thailand MD...

But it all depends on the "vision" of the head coach/ national team-- Korea fielding mostly all rookies to "bring up" their 2nd tier vs China "re-drafting" their veterans to defend the Sudirman Cup Title; I personally watch the Sudirman/ Thomas/ Uber for surprises and new talents, cos I see enough of the veterans on the professional circuit...

16. Master

Master Regular Member

Group 1B: Russia's short reign

Ivan Sozonov / Vladimir Ivanov were the only Russians to get the better of Koreans. The straightforward penetration of Ivanov's heavy smash helped the 2016 All England champions take care of men's doubles, 21-18, 21-18.

Russian singles proponents Evgenia Kosetskaya and especially Sergey Sirant can be proud of the personal flair with which they played their shots. Playing on the television court, they would have been responsible for overturning any presumptions of casual spectators that Russia is unknown in badminton.

One of the other pleasures of the evening was the reuniting of former world top 5 Korean pair Jung Kyung Eun and Kim Ha Na in the women's doubles. Their racquet skills were too formidable for Ekaterina Bolotova / Alina Davletova, winning 21-7, 21-17.

In the mixed doubles, a healthy first game lead by Evgenia Dimova / Evgenij Dremin evaporated against Chae Yoo Jung / Choi Solgyu and it was another straight games affair for the tournament's second seeds. 21-14, 21-12.

jma97 and CLELY like this.
  17. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Not confused at all... you seem to be implying that having Kento on the team would worsen their chances of victory. However I would conjecture that the effect of a less favourable seeding is much less than having the equivalent of being a non-starter in the MS category. To win the tournament, Japan would have to beat the heavy hitters eventually anyway. And when it does come time to face those big nations, having no realistic MS contender means they are much more likely to lose in a tie-break after if their WS and WD can come out on top as expected.

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

European badminton powerhouse fields their leading players to start their campaign against India. Second seed Denmark is favoured to scoop all doubles department point while the underdogs India will banking on their singles shuttlers to make this tie more interesting.

19. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    INDIA experimenting too much??
    I mean Aj is always a gamble, even though he has a positive H2H against VA, risking MS by not playing KS not a good move imo
    AP/SATWIK all of a sudden from no where?? I think they did this cause Sikki probably do the double duty against INA
    The same reason why the hopeless Manu/Sumeeth are playing and not the young Satwik/Chicago combo who more or less troubled BoMoe the best any I do pair has done recently

#39 nilesh123, May 21, 2017
  20. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Exactly, by "going all out" I meant allowing Ivanov/Sozonov (Sozonov mostly, to play XD too! I mean I like Dremin he is fast and all but obviously not the same class) and also for Ivanov to play MS as well.
    I mean he has better reach, more power and what harm can it do? Sergei is not gonna bend the steel anyway.
    Yeah and regarding WD, I wasn't expecting such poor performance.
    Yeah Russia can do nothing else but to hope the Giants take MD + XD and then the pressure or whatever give driving force to WD and have miracle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.