TOTAL BWF THOMAS-UBER Cup Finals 2018 : UBER Cup FINAL (26 May)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 25, 2018.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah that's apparently the price you had to pay coming in to this forum :D:p Nobody warned me against it.

stanleyfm and phaarix like this.
  2. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

England is a different case.. They need to save every penny due to UK Sport funding issues.

And it is not rare for European countries to stay away if they think it isn't worth it.

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I dont think it will work, because majority of halls can only provide 4 courts.D emanding to have hall with 5 courts is a bit too much and possibly gonna cause troubles in finding suitable host

My main solution is, at least, to adjust the schedule as fair as you can. Or to add 1 extra day at the beginning.

I mean, I think starting an event on Saturday is still a good deal. You can open it in a sort of grandious opening ceremony like. You dont have to had 3 timeslots for that day, maybe only 1. So after ceremnoy (starting at 14.00), you can have the first 4 matches at 18.00.
    Then, you can adjust the schedule accordingly somehow to let the team has fairer time rest between group stage and KO stage. I will try to make a schedule table soon after this I guess, interesting to look at how it will go hahhaha

Cheung likes this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Aren't you being a bit too optimistic? :D But keep it up, it might be materialized in the future.

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah. Still fund related even though indirectly. But it kind of proved the point that even the honor of having a team participating in Thomas or Uber Cup while being qualified didn't mean much to the founder of the Cups themselves.

6. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Others may call it anti-climactic but it's just that the JPN women's team is a cut above the rest and it showed today and it was totally deserved! Would have been nice to have JPN show that they could beat the defending champions CHN but it turned out they didn't need to since a buoyant home team and crowd was enough to dispatch the defending champions.

One thing that came into my mind today, since JPN got to the finals of both Thomas and Uber Cups was the Surdirman Cup next year and whether JPN could also take it. With an excellent XD pair (Yuta/Arisa) and a strong men and women's team, they have a good chance to take it next year!

Forestal likes this.
  7. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

What about ESP? Since when has the TUC become a "rich people/country" event that the Euro PIGS shouldn't dream of joining even when their ranking qualifies them?

It's a particular pity for ESP because they have a no. of up and coming young girls who did quite well at the European Championship held in Spain this year -- Paris Olympics 2024 would be a more interesting event if the SPA girls can get more development/experience...

#147 Forestal, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  8. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

They are definitely in the running, especially with Park Joo Bong keeping the JPN ship steady in while defending Sudirman Cup Champions are still in a state of "renewal/generation change", and reigning silver medallist CHN still agonizing about "re-calling" veterans or fielding newbies...

Park Boo Jong clearly on track to "create" more World Champions this Olympic cycle...

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Winning once only want open shirt already Lol..

someone wins 13x also never openshirt.

Ok maybe his body is great and he wants to show it to people his sickpax

10. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

The event did officially start on Saturday with a dinner -- not to mention that the practice halls, etc. were opened way before that...

You are underestimating the costs of the event like the others, just because of how little actual "action" you got to see *shakes head*

I was not joking when I said to blame everything on the INA BWF delegates voting against the 5 game 11 points system -- it will drastically change the game; but it is also the only way badminton can ever become as commercially viable/successful as table-tennis (which has more events, more coverage AND more $$$).

stanleyfm likes this.
  11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Indeed JPN Uber team is very strong this year, no doubt about it.

As for the Sudirman Cup.. hmm it's a bit too soon to tell. JPN WD lost to CHN young pair last year while being the top ranked. CHN lost to KOR in final despite having higher ranked players in the team. Mixed team competition is quite a different thing compared to Men or Women team competition, imo. More possibilities for all the countries to have the best combination of players in their team.

12. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

It was a long shot for JPN to win last year as MS was automatically counted as a loss against CHN. Now that Momota is back, they have a good chance in all 5 disciplines, with room for these upsets like the WD last year that you mentioned.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Huh? Wrong thread? :D:D:D:D:D

14. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Fineeeee
    No change until more money comes then
    Thanks

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Such a dream crusher :p

stanleyfm likes this.
  16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

True, I agree.
    I think we still need to see the development of the MS and the other disciplines for the coming year. That's why I said a bit too early to tell at this point. But point taken. :)

Michael V likes this.
  17. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Congrats Japan :D So happy for them :)

This is the best I have seen my Nomnom play this year by a long shot! She looked even better than yamaguchi in this tournament. Clearly saved herself for this. Footwork, deception, attack were all on point today

Cannot wait to see her play in the next few tournaments. Such a distinctive style of play

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The one day's rest before the finals is for you to rest, take a break, relax, recharge, regroup and regather your thoughts if necessary, if you're so unlucky as to injure yourself or fall sick, that's Heaven's will.

I'm pretty sure all the players will appreciate it, the pros far outweigh the cons. There's a rationale why it's done for the TC and the OG, though not for the ladies as it simply doesn't make any sense, economic, business and other reasons, for there to be nothing on for a Saturday where spectators and viewers on TV and the Internet are normally largely free to watch the matches. Unthinkable.

Is it gender inequality then that the men get it but not the women ? Nah, not really,just kidding. (Or perhaps, men's badminton is given preference due to popular demand, it's a man's world, after all. No, I'm not advocating it, just stating the reality and I hope it can be changed one day, for women hold up half the sky as a great man once proclaimed).

19. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I think she will focus on WC again (maybe AG as well?)

Michael V likes this.
  20. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

They claimed their players are 'injured'. If you want another extreme example: Netherlands even doesn't bother to try in European Qualifiers since 2016 and claimed they use the fund for nurturing young talents.

Cheung and stanleyfm like this.