TotalEnergies BWF WORLD Championships 2021 : R/64-Final (12-19 December)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good for the commentators to have more to talk about!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Or he’s the next one out!

kurako likes this.
  3. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I just saw the replay from Viktor Axelsen vs Loh Kean Yew. What a disappointment from Viktor this WC. He was the overwhelming favorite to win, especially since Momota had to withdraw. Viktor has always had trouble beating Momota and when Viktor won the WC in 2017, Momota was not in that WC to stop him. Viktor took advantage of Momota's absence in the 2017 WC and won it. Now Momota had to withdraw from this WC so it was another golden opportunity for Viktor. But Viktor laid an egg.

Oh well, at least Viktor didn't lay an egg at the Olympics, probably the more prestigious medal (although WC is probably the 2nd most prestigious medal in badminton, after the Olympic medal). Still, it was a good opportunity and Viktor missed it. Congrats to Loh Kean Yew though who played very well and dominated Viktor in sets 2 and 3.

Loh likes this.
  4. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

If Kevin Cordon (KC) overperforms, like he did at the Olympics, he has a path to the finals.

There is no Momota, CTC, Ginting, or J. Christie to stop KC. Looking at the upper half bracket, the biggest threats that can stop KC are Lakshya Sen (next match), Lu Guang Zu, and Srikanth Kidambi. That's it! Those players are definitely players that KC can beat if he overperforms.

At the same time, this is a golden opportunity for Srikanth Kidambi to get to the finals of this WC. Srikanth Kidambi isn't going to get a bracket like this again at the WC, where he the favorite to win his half of the bracket.

Yes, you read that right. Of all the remaining players in the upper half of the bracket, Srikanth Kidambi is the highest seeded player and based on his seeding, he is the favorite to win the upper half of the bracket.

5. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Commentator says "Brilliant from Sikki and Reddy"
    I was like 'What!'

arjevo and rajat_remar like this.
  6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    If any players from the upper half of the bracket wins the MS title, I may consider taking part in next year's edition.

7. Kowalski

Kowalski Regular Member

There was a time when I really enjoyed watching Kidambi. Great dynamic style combined with soft, "catlike" court movement. It looked great. But lately it's been painful. You know the potential is there, but there are no results. He is able to play 10-15 minutes of good badminton then make 6 unforced errors and meltdown completely. Painful.
    Unfortunately I have a similar feeling watching Rankireddy/Shetty lately - same case - very nice potential but they seem to have lost their way.
    As for the ladder in MS - I'm curious how much pressure and expectations will affect the results. Right now it looks like someone from the bottom half MUST win it, and guys from the top are playing totally pressure free. LZJ is not playing well under pressure, LKY is also in the spotlight after eliminating VA.
    AA - unknown with injury and form after Bali.
    It will be interesting.

arjevo and Sumanth99 like this.
  8. Baddyforall

R16 not Quarters

9. Akin44

Akin44 Regular Member

Techie
    Haha, he meant Sikki N Reddy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I think he meant Sikki N Reddy.
    But I was more shocked that the Indian pair was able to win in WD against a Chinese pair.
    I can only recall Ashwini/Pradnya Gadre winning against Bao Yixin and her partner once.

arjevo likes this.
  11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    It is good for Lakshya Sen who had a very hard match vs Nishimoto that he has today off to rest.

Simeon likes this.
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh-oh, the three-month break post-OG for Zheng SW/Huang YQ has taken a toll on them as they struggled to get into shape in time for the WC. Might as well, give others a chance. Best of luck to the remaining contenders.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Precisely, I share your sentiments, LCW at age 39 is still not above him to capture the elusive World Crown in view of what's left in the competition.

Sundis likes this.
  14. WhiteStringJunkie

WhiteStringJunkie Regular Member

This guy is such specimen of my previous statement.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

15. Baddyforall

Nope. He mistakenly said that. I heard it.
    Aswini/sikki beats a chinese pair . I watched the last game. I must say that this chinese pair wants to win a point without going for a rally. I dont think sikki/aswini has improved but their opponents were inexperienced.

Akin44 likes this.
  16. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Another great opportunity for LZJ to win it all. If that happens how would he be compared to LCW.

17. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    But he needs to start playing with energy efficient matches (not three-energy-sapping-game matches) from quarter finals onwards.
    My prediction of his opponents

QF: AA
    SF: LKY
    F: LGZ

Justin L and WhiteStringJunkie like this.
  18. dr_strange

dr_strange Regular Member

Hi folks, any link for court 3?

19. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

That's a biggest upset than Viktor Axelsen losing LKY for sure.

The chinese looked very insecure.

Agree 100%. So happy that these world championship and the rest of the tournaments took place this year. This is so important for the development of the sport, and for these young players, some of which do not have the financial support of federation that the star athletes have.

The overall level of the play might suffer as a result, but this kind of event is what insprires the future legends of tomorrow (especially for non-asian countries) and ensures a desperately needed visibility of this sport outside of Asia.

dood1234 and keithl like this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The one of a kind pandemic world championships is uncannily producing one of a kind results; well, you may read it as a compliment or sarcasm as you wish.

But, to be honest, it's not all negative, it offers a rare but golden opportunity for the also-rans, wannabes, pretenders to the throne, even the still young or over-the hill aspirants/die-hards/daydreamers/dreamchasers and whatnots to seize the day as they may never get another chance to do it again !

The exception is Women's Singles where, despite the absence of Chen Yufei, Carolina Marin, and Nozomi Okuhara, it's not really without a star-studded cast as several of the most worthy contenders are in the running, I'm sure everyone has their own favourite.

And I should think the Women's Doubles category is still creditable enough for top honours.

keithl likes this.