Trip to VAN - 4/9-4/14

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by LazyBuddy, Feb 20, 2004.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    My knees creaked whenever I walk around in the house. Limping alot these days cuz my blister's on the heel of my racquet foot, felt the bloody thing every time I lunged. Haven't had a serious roll on the ankle yet *knock on wood*. Hopefully things will get better once LB get into town.

#21 cappy75, Feb 21, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Don't forget to bring a camera with you :)

Van is beautiful, I have been there once (7 years ago)

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

LB's Itinerary for April 11

I'm not too sure what the Vancouver BFers have setup for LazyBuddy, but for

Sunday April 11th, there is
    12noon-2:30pm at Collingwood

Also for the 11th, I have a tentative session 8:30pm-12midnite, 2 courts, location tba. If there were no other plans or other facilities, are you guys interested?

(note: do not stop trying to book other facilities because the above evening session is tentative and I won't know until 2 weeks from now)

Cheers! :D

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: LB's Itinerary for April 11

Sounds good to me.

Thnx. ;)

5. Traum

Traum Regular Member

As hosts of our city, I think we should try to give LB the maximum exposure to various baddy venues. Assuming that LB will be playing everyday (ouch... I feel sorry for body, LB ;) ), we can probably take him to 4 different places.

Collingwood is already on the schedule. VRC and ClearOne should also be top choices since they're arguably the best facilities here in the city (although we'll need some VRC BFers to bring LB there). That leaves one more place we should visit.

Cameron? RBC? Pinetree? Some place else?

-Rick

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Re: LB's Itinerary for April 11

For sure, Sunday at Collingwood is a "can't miss" session:D. But like VRC, we can't have a proper BF gathering for LB due to drop-ins restrictions:(. We should set aside one session specifically for everybody to meet and play with LB:). That tentative session BMS talked about is very promising.

Rick - can you think of other places that we could book two or three courts for a few hours?

7. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    I'm sure we can reserve LB a spot at the Collingwood drop-in. Is the usual amount of people there at max capacity? BMS, is the sign up list full usually?

I think the extra session's a great idea, but on the same day?

8. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I love ClearOne because of its awesome facilities (this should be pretty evident from my other posts). But it'll probably be difficult to book more than 2 courts there under the same name because Darryl doesn't like having one particular group taking over his gym. Furthermore, because of the training sessions there, we can get at most 3 hours on Monday, and 2.5 on Tuesday.

I can try looking into Bethany (church where I held my last tournament) for Monday or Tuesday night. They have 4 decent courts there, but they are a little trouble to deal with because of their busy schedule.

-Rick

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even though it sounds difficult for my "aged" body, but I am very glad that I will be "trained" a lot during my short vacation.

Trying to be physically and mentally prepared... ;)

10. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

looking for one
    VLT

Perhaps Vancouver Lawn and Tennis (VLT) facility too. But everyone have to dress all-white plus a member from VLT to bring guests in.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Re: VLT

Er... VLT is abit too rich for me:rolleyes:. I heard that membership fee is $10,000 to join, $1200 a year. Definitely I won't feel too comfortable hanging out with the upper class folks:p.

#31 cappy75, Feb 24, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  12. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Cool LB, you're coming to visit us!

Make sure you count me in guys. I'll hopefully be free to play those days :).

As for badminton venues, since LB is coming from such a long distance, as someone mentioned before, I think it would be nice to bring him to both ClearOne and VRC. I realize not everyone would be able to play at ClearOne and VRC but there aren't many (or any) similar facilities in NYC so it would be cool to show him what we have to offer here. If I remember correctly, from talking to LB in the past, he plays in regular multi-purpose gyms and has to sometimes commute a fair-long distance just to play. Shouldn't we show him the best we've got, and something different than what he has at home? Not very many people have the opportunity to play on International mat courts like at ClearOne, or at a dedicated, specifically-designed-for badminton, facility like VRC. It usually costs an arm and a leg, like the VLT or Hollyburn, to play in such environments. If we set it up right, he should be able to play at both venues as well as a couple community centres so he can meet as many BF members as possible. Just my thoughts :)...

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... thnx a lot...

Yeah, I guess I might be really jealous after I saw both facilities, and decide to stay? hehehehhee...

Maybe after several years, u will see a new threads "Move to VAN".. :D

14. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    LB, if you need someone to sign you in to VRC, we can do that. Probably best on the weekend because Mon, Tu, Thu are all ladder nites and it would be difficult to find games.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thnx a lot! I am looking forward to it.

If more VRC members can do it, maybe we can drag in several more others as well. Seems Sunday night is booked, so, maybe VRC for Sat???

I am not very familar with other facilities' schedule. Can someone from VAN help me to figure out a schedule, which could "utlized" the personnel and facility availabilities?

Don't worry too much about me, I will try to save as much stamina as possible before the trip. Therefore, even afternoon vs night schedule could be considered (not 4 days consecutively, though. ;) )

16. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Give LB's schedule, may I propose the following baddy schedule?

Sat, April 10: VRC evening?
    Sun, April 11: Collingwood afternoon
    Mon, April 12: Cameron evening
    Tues, April 13: ClearOne evening

How does that sound to everyone, especially to LB?

-Rick

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Now that's a lot of baddy here:D. We could fit in two sessions on sunday to accomodate BF'ers who might not be able to make it during the weekdays. Possible to book two courts at ClearOne on sunday instead, Rick?

18. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    AHHHHH cant make it to the one at cameron!! >< Practice the same time... but I wonder if my coach will let me off the hook if I dont go :rolleyes:

19. Traum

Traum Regular Member

We could certainly reserve some court at C1 on Sunday. It's just that I don't know how well the games will turn out if we play twice during the same day. As it is, 4 days of back to back baddy is probably enough to kill LB already. :D

-Rick

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I don't think I have a problem. If ppl want to give 2 sessions (afternoon + evening) on sunday, I will say "YEAH".

Yeah, that's a lot of baddy. In case I am too tired, I will sit on the side, and talk. Hehehhehehhe... hope my mouth still working by then.

Thanks for the schedule suggestions. ;)