TUC finals draw COMES OUT

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by cxytdn, Feb 25, 2006.

1. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

汤姆斯杯
    Thomas Cup

A组 中国 德国 印度
    GA: CHN GER IND
    B组 韩国 印尼 新西兰
    GB: KOR INA NZL
    C组 丹麦 日本 南非
    GC: DEN JPN SRA
    D组 马来西亚 英格兰 美国
    GD: MAS ENG USA

尤伯杯
    Uber Cup

W组 中国 台北 美国
    GW: CHN TPE USA
    X组 荷兰 英格兰 香港
    GX: NED ENG HKG
    Y组 韩国 德国 新加坡
    GY: KOR GER SIN
    Z组 日本 新西兰 南非
    GZ: JPN NZL SRA

Attached Files:

• aaa.gif
      aaa.gif
      File size:
      2.9 KB
      Views:
    #1 cxytdn, Feb 25, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  2. eskey

eskey Regular Member

thanks for the info.

wow..we will see interesting strategy for TC. Difficult choice for indo, be a winner of the group and most likely meet china in the semi or 2nd in the group BUT facing malaysia in the quarter.

3. uluh dayak

uluh dayak Regular Member

i think we should avoid meeting china before final. we really need the final"atmosphere"to wake the monster within Taufik (it started to feel like japanese comic).

4. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

i think denmark has the best draw in TC - almost guaranteed a place in SF and is not in the same half as china

looks like msia has to battle it out again with korea or ina - just like the qualifiers

5. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    I agree, tough draw for Indonesia, whatever ranking they have in the group, they will meet someone tough. I really doubt Taufik will give it his all in Japan. While he did say that one of his aims is to bring TC back to Indonesia, I think we can also see that he is very affected by the new scoring system. He has to get it into his head that he has to live with it and just play. If he does his job and the two MD pairs do their jobs as well, INA will be a tough one to deal with, even China will have to admit that.

6. eskey

eskey Regular Member

yes, denmark has relatively easiest draw compare to MAS,INA,KOR, unless JPN is really crazy in front home crowd and make the upset which will cause DEN fall in the same half as china :D

7. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

I think it is easier for Indonesia to handle China than Malaysia. Against China, Indonesia already have two MD points in hand even before the game started, need another 1 point from MS either from Taufik or Sony. If they make it, Indonesia should enter the final ( If they are Group B winner ).
    Malaysia did not send CTF/LWW in TC Asian Qualifying round as second doubles, LWW/CTF even defeated Indonesia top MD pair Candra/Sigit in AE2006 second round, due to world ranking, LWW/CTF should be Malaysian second or third doubles but in fact they are Malaysia strongest doubles. It will be difficult for Indonesia to take two MD points from Malaysia. Malaysian third single, Wong CH even defeated Taufik Hidayat in Hong Kong Open 2005 and Simon Santoso in Manila SEA Games, with Kuan Beng Hong as 4th singles, already strong enough to beat Simon Santoso, I think if Malaysia to meet Indonesia in Japan, it won't be Kuan anymore but Wong CH should be the third single. The chances of beating Malaysia is lower than beating China.
    Indonesia should try their best to beat Korea to become Group B winner and to beat China in the semifinal.

8. Chu Liuxiang

Denmark should beat Japan 5-0 in front of Japanese home crowd. I remember last year Malaysian Lee CW beat Japanese first single Shoji Sato 15-3, 15-0 during Sudirman Cup in China. I think Peter Gade could do better than that. :D

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think Malaysia have a comfortable draw. I hope they will not waste this opportunity.

10. Chu Liuxiang

I guess Indonesia should be able to beat Korea in Group B. (Unless Indonesia purposely want to loose out to Korea in order to meet Malaysia in quarterfinal which I think it is not a good idea as Malaysia beaten Indonesia twice in their recent met.) So, Korea (B2)would likely to beat A3 ( either India or Germany ) to meet up Malaysia in quarterfinal.
    Malaysia should beat Korea at least 3-1 with LWW/CTF as second doubles. Even if third single service required, Wong CH should be able to beat all his opponents in TC final round easily other than China third single BCL or Chen Jin or XXZ.
    The tough match for Malaysia should be against Denmark in semifinal, it should be 50-50. :D

11. eskey

eskey Regular Member

I didn't realize that Chen Hong now has higher ranking than BCL, that means China has lots of options in MS depending on who is their opponent.

12. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    I dont think the Men's Doubles is as clear cut as that - keeping in mind the last time that Wijaya/Budiarto met Fu/Cai under the 21 point scoring system, the Indonesians lost. Much as I like Sigit and Candra, I dont think Indonesia they would have an easy draw against China.

13. eskey

eskey Regular Member

yes, agree, no guarantee MD points for indo when meeting china, mas, kor and den, especially under 21-scoring system. even when meeting mas again, it could go either way.

14. qwertyu

qwertyu Regular Member

I don't think so. In order to win the TC, Malaysia need to beat 3 out of the Big 5. Tough draw. However, hope they could take a step at a time, you just have to be the best in order to win. No short cut.

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Hmm..I didn't expect the draw to come out so fast. I thought it will be done sometime in March? Anyway, the draw does seem to be unfavorable to Team Indonesia because they already have to face one of the seeds in the group (Korea). Luckily, Korea is probably the weakest among the top 4 seeds (the others being China, Denmark, and Malaysia). However, can Indonesia beat Korea at the present state?

I think they are certainly more manageable than Malaysia. If Taufik is in top form, he will beat Lee Hyun-Il. The doubles should also take care of the Korean youngsters. The only tricky thing is that you will never expect which doubles pair the Korean pick for the ties. They have numerous combinations to choose from Jung Jae Sung, Lee Jae Jin, Lee Yong Dae, Hwang Ji-Man, and Han Sang-Hoon. Any 4 players they choose will still be a threat and it will almost certainly include Lee Jae Jin.

I personally think Indonesia's chance is about 30-40%. With luck on their side, I think Denmark can win it.

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Under the new 21 point system.. anything can go wrong.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

thanks for the info cxytdn

yes, i tend to agree also Denmark has a pretty easy draw up til the semifinal..

wow, looking at the draw, it is an interesting one....this could be a spoiler and the one group that i am particularly interested in is group D. I think that is the group of "death". Why??..because all 3 teams, IMO, have balanced matches and esp. of team USA's presence...WOW!!!.. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

True, it'll be almost impossible for team USA to win the group, but who knows if they can go in there with a no pressure attitude, i think at least they can give MAS a run for their money. Esp. with Tony Gunawan achoring that squad. All they have to hope for is their 2nd MD(who knows what pairings they will offer) and hopefully Raju Rai(MS) can compete with whoever MAS has to offer. I would tend to think Tony will observed how the ties will be played and if by some miracle it is 2-2 then he will pair up as the 2nd MD pair. I can sense they can finish as the 2nd ranked team in that group ahead of England. If indeed that is the case, then i can foresee a match of them vs. the 3rd ranked team from group C. Winner of that tie will then face China in the quarterfinal...

As for team Indonesia, if i were them, this is what i would do. Maybe this sounds silly and less "honorable". But I would try to finish as the 3rd team in group B. :eek: :rolleyes: Yup, that's right, finish as the the 3rd team. Why? In doing so, they will avoid facing either MAS, JPN, ENG, USA. in the round of 16. Doing so, will also guarantee them to avoid an early meeting with any the top 4 seeds before the QF. Also finishing 3rd will give them a choice to play either the 2nd ranked team in group A(either GER or IND) in the round of 16 and then facing the winner of group C in the QF, which most likely be Denmark. If they should come out of the QF round, then they should most likely meet MAS in the Semifinal for another rematch of the Asian qualifying round. Winner of that tie will then face China for the glory.
    Of course, i wouldn't do that if i was the coach and know that my players are ready no matter who they face. But in terms of of strategy/tactic-wise, i think that's the "least risk" route possible. Of course, other teams in other groups will think and devise a similar plan to do the same...hehe.. :p ;)

#17 ctjcad, Feb 25, 2006
  18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yes, the draw announcement was sudden also, but was posted in the IBF website couple of days ago...http://www.internationalbadminton.org/

As for their chances, i would put them as 50-50. It all basically depends on which team(s) they play leading up to the Finals.
    Yah, INA will be in a tricky and tough spot in their group. However, if i were INA i wouldn't worry where i'd finish in my group. The key is, again, which team will they play in order of succession. If they plan and play their cards right and hope for some luck, they can avoid playing any of the top 4 seed before the QF. If i were the coaching staff, i would try to meet DEN first in QF then MAS in SF before facing CHN for the big finale. I would let all the top 4 seeds fight it out first before the QF... :rolleyes: :)

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

i think this holds true for all the top 5 ranked teams...no short cut..but for sure, they will avoid meeting INA and China before Semifinals..;)

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

concur whole-heartedly here ants!an upset or two could bound to happen..hehe-;) :p

#20 ctjcad, Feb 25, 2006