TV Coverage - Poor Sound?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chrisgin, Jan 7, 2005.

1. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    I just received a bunch of DVD's from Han (thanks Han!) and although I've thoroughly enjoyed watching them, I couldn't help but feel that the lack of sound takes away some of the intensity of the matches. I miss the sound of the shuttle being hit, especially when they smash.

Is all badminton coverage like that or is it just this particular channel? I can't imagine it would be difficult to put a mike on or near the court. After all, can you imagine tennis coverage where you couldn't hear the players hitting the ball?

2. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    In my experience, I have only "heard" one good tournament. It was the Men Single Revolution Cup held in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I think you can still get the DVD from Vigor Media.
    However, the camera angles (I think they only have 1-2 cameras) was not as good as AE 2004 from Han. There was no players close-up, base line close-up, net cam, etc.

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Han is the man, I just received the WC's 1997 and the sound it tip top.

4. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

yea man the 1997 world championships had both great sound and great camera man - excellent work

its way too bad that they dont film badminton like that more often :crying:

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Learn how to copy

Among all the tournaments, I think All England Champiomship has the best camera angles and sound. You would think by now most tournament organisers know where to place the cameras and microphones or at least know how to copy from those successful tournaments like All England, World Championship, Danish Open ... Just look at the camera angle of Singapore Open(5-star?), as poor as previous year even after feedback/reminder before the tournament started from members of BF, shame shame shame!
    Lets hope 2005 will bring us new hope :)
    Happy 2005!

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

no sound at all?

I've had a lot of Han's DVDs and I don't think there were any with no sound.
    There might have been a few where there was very little commentary though.

7. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

i definately dont think all england had the best camera angles

i think atleast it should be as good as the all england...which is fine, but i have seen better.

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    More sound issue

I don't sell silent badminton video, I think what Chris was complianing is the hitting sound can hardly be heard in certain tournaments :confused: World Championship 1997 has the best sound partly due to the small gym environment which the tournament was held and we all experience the same thing when playing in a small badminton hall, suddenly our smashes become more powerful(sounds louder, at least :) )
    Still there's no excuse for the organiser not to take care of the sound issue :crying:

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    IMHO the best sound from a badminton match I have heard is the 2000 Olympic MDfinal, the atmosphere there sounded awesome.

10. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Excellent rivalry

Yes, Olympic 2K MDF was very dynamic in both action and sound, much better than the recent Olympic 2004 with empty seats everywhere :crying:

11. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    Yes, I wasn't suggesting there was no sound :). I was just surprised that you can hardly hear the shuttle being hit. To someone who has not played badminton before, it could look like there is very little power in the shots due to the lack of sound, whereas if you could here the loud whack of a smash or clear, then it gives more of an impression of power.

I can't think of any other sport on TV where you can't hear the sound properly (tennis, golf, squash, cricket, baseball...). Even in snooker you can hear the balls hitting each other!

Oh well, I might get the World Championship 1997 from you next time so I can experience the proper sound :D

Chris

12. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

sound

2004 Olympic coverage was very poor, sound was bad but so was the camera angle, it was too high, and the camera must have been up in row Z. Huge empty sections of seats, like it was some practice match...

The All England has some of the best coverage with good sound. The smaller tournaments have the best sound though. Tournaments like the Copenhagen Masters with just one court with a packed crowd sitting right up to the edge of the court. Every shot makes a huge "POW" sound because the mikes are so close to the players, you really feel the power of the shots. Nice...