Ucb / Gg Open 2007 $8888!!

Discussion in 'Golden Gate Badminton Club ( GGBC ) (CLOSED)' started by GGManagement, Sep 24, 2007.

1. GGManagement

GGManagement Regular Member

:D CALLING ALL BADMINTON FRIENDS!

We just wanted to remind you that the GOLDEN GATE BADMINTON CLUB UCB / GG OPEN 2007, with prize money up to $8888, is just around the corner on October 5th, Friday to October 7th, Sunday, so please send your final applications out ASAP!! We are really excited about our SECOND UCB / GG OPEN and we do hope GG FRIENDS will all come to support the players, or PLAY YOURSELF in this fantastic Tournament! There is a category for everyone and we really wish to see all our beloved GGBC FRIENDS participating in our great annual tournament! We can guarantee you adrenaline pumping FUN FUN FUN!! Please take a look at the application form attached and send it in as soon as possible! Please ignore the deadline date on the application form! We want to encourage EVERYONE in the Bay Area and beyond to participate so we are extending the deadline. Please take a look at the form above, and fill it out ASAP! It will be an exciting challenge for ALL! We have players coming from across the Nation and Canada too! See you all at the UCB / GG OPEN 2007!

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COMPETE IN OUR TOURNAMENT PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
    1./ PLEASE PRINT OUT THE ENTRY FORM ABOVE AND FILL IT OUT in clear print.
    2./ PLEASE FIRST EMAIL YOUR NAME AND INTEREST TO ENTER , TO CHRIS LAWRENCE AT: ccclawrence@aol.com IMMEDIATELY.
    3./ PLEASE POST THE APPLICATION FORM WITH THE ENTRY FEE CHECK AMOUNT TO CHRIS LAWRENCE AT:
    Chris Lawrence, 8950 Bradwell Place, Apt. 104, Fishers, Indiana, IN 46038

See you all VERY soon!

Best Regards, GG Management! :D:D

Attached Files:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i might need a ride from Santa Clara to GGBC2 early on Sunday morning, Oct 7th. anybody?

3. mugdays

mugdays Regular Member

No problem

Hey Kwun, this is Gumaro. I can give you a ride. But you have to take plenty of action shots of me, hahahaha.
    And don't worry, I have a reliable car now :p

4. MaggieHo

MaggieHo Regular Member

You better put on seat belt, haha :)

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    make sure the car is fitted with air-bag....:p

6. monto

monto Regular Member

Can GGBC please publish the names of those entering? (once the entries have been determined)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gumaro! thanks for the offer. i will contact you later. you don't mind going early early, right?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is in the hands of Chris Lawrence the tournament director. i will bug him early next week about the entry list.

9. mugdays

mugdays Regular Member

Hey Kwun,

Early early is fine by me. :)

10. monto

monto Regular Member

Any word from Chris? I'm expecting some exciting opening round matches (MS/MD), so am seriously considering taking Friday off work to spectate, not to mention an hour long drive each way, so I'm keen on seeing the list of participants first ;)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no words yet but i did send him a mail. the only person who knows the entries is Chris.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. i got a reply from Chris, thanks Chris for giving us the info:

13. monto

monto Regular Member

Thanks for sharing this information.

Very disappointing to hear many top players, esp the men, will be absent! Along with the US nationals/team trials and a few of the big tournaments like Boston, I would have imagined this as a prime platform for display of talent, but alas...

14. monto

monto Regular Member

Some pictures from today's action:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blurry, but Sally is in the senior XD. I included the senior MD to show what a good deal it is, first or second place, you earn back your entry fee :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. monto

monto Regular Member

And some pics of the facility:

From the front entry:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the back wall:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Middle of venue:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two courts on the left (E, F) are only 1-2 feet from the wall, and thus designated training courts. Otherwise quite dangerous:
    [​IMG]

The trophies:
    [​IMG]

Many cartons of AS-40's :D
    [​IMG]

From outside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    nice touch:
    [​IMG]

16. monto

monto Regular Member

I'm sure Kwun will have more pictures of the facility, but these will do for now. In terms of travel, arriving at GGBC2 was a quite tricky, as there are some small streets and several turns to navigate after exiting from the freeway. It's embedded in a more industrial area adjacent to the Bay St shopping area. (Note to those coming from the south, one has to take 880->980->580 to exit at Powell, rather than 880 directly (which I tried to do after reading the directions featured in the UCB/GGBC tournament flyer ;)).

Inside, lights are placed between courts to minimize glare, see above pictures, but are still a bit too bright. Unless you're in the middle of the court looking straight down the court, lights can be a bit blinding (i.e. if you're looking crosscourt from the sidelines/baseline, they can be bothersome).

Ceilings were decently high, but I saw at least 4-5 rallies end with defensive net lifts into the ceiling beams. The wooden beams were rather attractive, though, compared to the industrial metal sheets/joists at UBC/Smash City.

Floors were nice, none of that joined matted stuff that can split apart, like in use at UBC, for example. Good contrasting white lines/green courts, a la GGBC1. I only walked around, but it did feel rather hard, comparable to Smash City (which is virtually cement, as far as my knees are concerned ;))

As for first day tournament action, highlights would be watching the Arnold Setiadi/Che-Chang Cheng MS match. Cheng appeared a good decade older than Setiadi, but his very quick feet kept him alive in many a rally. Both Cheng and Holvy De Pauw used some very impressive deception, mostly backhands at the net.

WS, Mona Santoso and Lili Zhou dominated in the first few rounds, I don't see anyone preventing them from meeting in the finals.

XD, good solid teams all around, all playing simultaneously at the end. I'd expect some more exciting matches the second round and beyond.

#16 monto, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks monto for the photo and the report!

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Cool pics & reports..

..ah, so that's how the interior of GGBC2 looks like:)...similar to GGBC1:cool:..
    *Looking at the draws though, esp. the MS draw, it looks like it'll be a battle between Cheng and DePauw for the right to enter the Finals vs. Mazur.
    *And for WS, i think Mona and Lili are destined to meet each other in the Semis, not the Finals. I think either one should meet Johanna Lee (from top half of the draw) in the Finals.
    *Notice our Sally, too, with her bright pink tees...;):D:cool:
    ..thanks for the pics and sharing a bit of report, monto & looking fw for more this weekend:cool:

19. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    Please post the results of WS and others.

20. govalley

govalley Regular Member

Pharmacist
    I wish they could use tournamentsoftware, even SGBVC's uses it