Underhand stroke: follow through vs tap

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ballschubser, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

When you play an underhand shot, you have often the option to play a more pronounced stroke with a (little) follow through or a crisp tap.

When and why should I use the tap vs the follow through ? Is the tap version they one I want to master ?

2. Sigurds

Sigurds Regular Member

As in a lift? I'd say the tap is when you try to hold and deceive (so when you get to the shuttle early), whereas the "follow through" is a regular lift.

Ballschubser likes this.
  3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

So, the tap version would be automatically deceptive and therefor preferable ?

What about accuracy ? Is a tap equally controllable as a more pronounced stroke regarding accuracy (left-right accuracy and length) ?

I experimented with a simple setup: a piece of paper fixed at a wall, roughly 5m away. Then I throw up a shuttle and I try to hit it with either a tap or more pronounced stroke. I was able to produce more accurate shots with the tap version, but on the other hand, I got the feeling, that the length of the shot is harder to control.

In one of coach Lees videos he advocated the tap version for (most?) underhand shots, on the other hand I read, that a more pronounced stroke with follow through helps to play with better accuracy.

For me it sounds like "the more pronounced stroke is for beginners, but you want to play more of the tap-version strokes later on. Is this right ?

4. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

I would agree with that statement.
    Tap is harder to control but better in any way if you can control it well enough.

Ballschubser likes this.
  5. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Try to think about the primary goals of hitting a shuttle (racket under control, shuttle goes where you want, consistency, can play the shot at speed under pressure). A controlled, accurate, consistent shot is one with the least variables and smallest variances - less movement.

You are trying to hit a (lift, net shot, cross court drive, etc) from a (slow smash, flat push, cross court drop, etc) aimed at your forehand side.

To achieve any of those returns you need to have good timing to coordinate when the racket and shuttle contact. This will come naturally to an intermediate player but not a complete beginner. Especially for cross court smashes that you want to return straight - intercepting a fast moving shuttle with a racket moving at about 45 degrees to the shuttles flight path is hard to do consistently. Preparation - having the racket in an ideal position ready to intercept the shuttle is better, less movement of the racket is also better.

I think one of the best and simplest pieces of advice given is to always approach a net shot as if you are going to play a net shot then you have the option of tapping over a rushing player. Despite being specific to a net shot the advice is promoting the idea that it is preferable to play the most consistent type of shot but be ready to adapt if the situation calls for it. Tap and follow through both have a place in badminton but the tap would be the most consistent and first choice most of the time. An added benefit is you have the racket under control more often. And, as you described, the tap is crisp, as are any shots that hit the sweet spot. Off centre shots are not crisp so give yourself the opportunity to play crisp shots more of the time.

A beginner is less likely to have a natural tapping technique, they tend to be uncoordinated arm wavers. A beginner should not be taught to have a follow through, they just do naturally and the point is to help them unlearn it.

#5 Ouchie, Sep 5, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Ballschubser likes this.