Vancouver/Richmond : June 18th weekend, anyone?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by kwun, May 15, 2011.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

A few more pics from today's session

Attached Files:

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yet a few more pics from today's session

Attached Files:

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Last set of pics from today's session

Attached Files:

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Ugh! Sorry for going MIA after the games. I thought you guys went to BubbleWorld in Union Square afterwards. I got there and didn't see group so I left. I had Madbad's number before but lost it after I got a new phone. Got some nice games going before my training. Too bad I never get to partner with Kwun. Maybe next time :D...

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Nice pictures of a handsome crew!
    Some of those photos really indicate the great technique and athleticism of the players. :)

Other photos really indicate that there must be a sale on knee braces in Richmond. :rolleyes:

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hey Cappy75

I think we got our places mixed up. Sorry about that. We went to the place next to Richmond Sushi in Union Square. Anyway good to see you again.

7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Thanks to Madbad for organizing the whole thing. Too bad, Kwun couldn't stayed longer in town but it was lots of fun and good to see Kwun again.

Fidget, you are too kind re: our techniques. Smashingbird took it easy on us as we are all too old to move quickly :D :D.

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yes, it was good to meet a couple of new faces and of course the familiar ones.

If kwun wasn't here, we wouldn't be having this type of gathering. This means he will need to come up more often, haha.

Hope kwun had his badminton fix (SBC, RPro, Yumo) this weekend. Was good to see him again.

9. Tedski

Tedski Regular Member

bean counter
    Thanks to Madbad organizing the event, great to see some old friends and also put faces on the names.

Ted

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, many thanks to Madbad for organizing the event. Managed to reconnect with many old faces and met a new one. :D

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks to clinton, madbad, Pete LSD and others for a most incredible trip.

i just stepped into my home and will write up a report and share with everyone tonight.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Thanks madbad for organizing and taking photos! It was great fun to meet IRL and put a face to your screen names, and play with all of you.

@kwun: Glad to have met and play with the boss! Glad to see you made it home safely.

@Fidget: Re knee braces, when you're nearing age 50 and battle-weary like me, you'll understand... :p

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hahaha...Kwun, I think you need to spend a few hours with the kids first (for Father's Day)...a real baddy fanatic!

14. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    hi everyone,

it was fun seeing everyone again and that everyone is doing well!

hope to see you all soon and hopefully more old time members make it out next time!

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is my trip report. :)

----

Firstly i want to thanks everyone who showed up this past weekend. i had an incredible trip playing badminton, chatting about badminton, eating while chatting about badminton, and anything in between. i thoroughly enjoyed everyone’s hospitality but i want to especially thanks clinton whom i met and stayed with in Seattle and madbad and Pete LSD for arranging court/food and hanging out with me while was i was in Vancouver.

I just had a most incredible and feathericious trip this past weekend. the reason and main purpose of the trip was to attend my high school friend’s wedding in Vancouver. my friend i knew for 20 years and is one of the best badminton player i know, in fact, he was my badminton teammate back then.

round 1

my trip started on Friday with my 8pm flight up to Seattle. immediately after i hopped out of the plane at 10pm i head north to Seattle Badminton Club to meet up with Clinton and my friend Michael, along with them there were two other crazy badminton people, Michael's sister Natalie and their friend Kel. why crazy badminton people? who else will start playing badminton at 11.30pm and not leave until way pass 2am? ;) and not to say we started a match of singles at 2am. besides the 10 games that i played, which were all super tight and competitive, we also chatted about badminton like true badminton fanatics. i could’ve gone on for a few more hours if i had need to wake up the next morning to head up to
    Vancouver at 7am.

after 3 short hours of sleep at Clinton’s, i bid farewell and headed up north to Vancouver. on the way up i was greet with some authentic Pacific Northwest weather, light rained all the way up until 9+am. i was a bit worried passing through the immigration as i have less than 10 days before my passport expires. but i passed through without much issue and drove into Canada.

i got to the wedding well ahead of time and was really happy that i was able to make it to one of the most important day of my friends life. i was very glad to see that he has found the love of his life. this guy i know and was good friend with for so many year, being 2 yrs my junior he is like a brother to me. i also want to note that his wife is also a good badminton player and that’s how they met. badminton really do bring people together.

round 2

after the ceremony i had a few hours free before the evening banquet. i met up with madbad and PeteLSD for lunch and we again had a great time chatting about anything badminton and BC related. after lunch we drove over to RichmondPro to meet up with around 10 other BCers for a round of badminton. it was really nice to see everyone again and also to meet some new folks. i think everyone’s skill has improved, esp for the young folks, and the mature one at least our skill has not deteriorated, which is already very good. :)

after a quick run for bubble tea and more badminton chit-chat. i went to check into my hotel, took a shower and then head off to the banquet.

it was a big banquet with 25+ tables in a nice restaurant, the poor bride and groom was so busy taking pictures and making speeches and greeting guests. i was mentioned in the groom’s speech as the person to go to for badminton games, i guess i do have that type of reputation. the groom also mentioned that his parents always forces him to play badminton when he was young, and now he understands why, badminton helped him find his life partner which is a wonderful thing. also his wedding cake is decorated with shuttlecocks, my lawyers will be sending him a bill for the loyalty fee for copying mine.

the banquet was most enjoyable and i had great fun talking with the guests at my table, most of whom are new or will be parents. the 12 course chinese style banquet was just delicious.

round 3

the banquet ended at 11pm and i drove back towards Richmond. my friend who i met in SBC the evening before and his sister will be playing at the Yumo club, so i went and check it out.

Yumo apparently opens really late so i went ahead and changed for the 3rd round of badminton. again, whoever gonna play badminton way pass 11pm are gonna be crazy badminton people and the people at Yumo are no different. we played with a few guys from Douglas college which is the best collegiate badminton team in the country and where many of the national players come from.

these guys are pretty incredible, fast, powerful, and most importantly, they had a lot of fun playing. there were no short of laughters and messing around during the games and in general just so much fun. these guys have badminton scholarships from the college and they practice 4+ times a week. they told me that they schedule their classes around their team practice which is absolutely incredible. i wish i can do something as crazy as that.

needless to say, we got our ass kicked playing against these guys but while doing so everyone was having so much fun the winning and losing wasn’t really important anymore.

we got out almost at 2am and they continued to party somewhere else while the old man goes back to his hotel. after only 3 hours of sleep the night before and 8 hours of badminton in 26 hours, i fell asleep the moment my head touched the pillow.

the next morning i met up with GrandMaster Pete LSD to check out his toys. Pete as we all know is a stringing demi-god. his wisdom is beyond all our mortals knowledge put together and visiting his den to chat with him about stringing was a great honor. upon entering his house we can see his Gamma and Victor lined up tidily right in the middle of his living room, taking up the most important center spot of the house.

when i walked in he was in the middle of string a client’s racket on his Gamma and i got to watch him stringing in action. the meticulous process he goes through with every pull is just incredible to watch and puts my own job to shame. we chatted and exchanged ideas about stringing and generally had an awesome time.

but too bad it was too rush as i had to head back south to catch my flight.

another 3 hours of driving i returned the car and headed back to the airport. just making it to the flight and headed back to California.

this was probably one of the craziest and most whirlwind trip i have taken. less than 48 hours with a wedding banquet, 8 hours of badminton and equal amount of driving. but nothing really matters as i had so much fun meeting up with friends old and new, and had a great time together doing things that we love, that’s what was most important.

16. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Looks like someone is wielding a Super Inside Waves 35 with authority:cool:! Was it any good;)? Wonder where are those MX80s and VT80s:).

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The boss lent me his MX-80. It was such a nice defensive racket

18. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

With the vast array of racquets and pool of talents out there, from the pix, no one seems to be wielding and manoeuvreing the loud yellow Z-Slash:)? By far the least popular racquet:eek:?

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I was tempted by Z-Slash before as I used to wield Carbonex 21/22/23/30M/35s until I got hooked on AT900 Technique. The Z-Slash felt great when I tried it but the high price detered me from acquiring. I usually get at least two of a kind so getting the Z-Slash would have been prohibitively expensive for me at this point.