Victor A960 - durability issue

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by LenaicM, Jan 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I bought a pair of Victor A730 early November and to be honnest I loved the comfort and it helped me get rid of my shin split issue I believe. But in terms of durability here is where it’s at after less than 3 months (2 weeks break for christmas with no play time where I didn’t use the shoes). I contacted the shop where I bought these two weeks ago already and I’m currently waiting to know if Victor can exchange it or not. I will probably have to buy another pair anyway and I don’t count on it to happen.

Did any of you had the same experience with the brand or am I an isolated case?

PS: I play on a pretty slick surface. My previous pair lasted 12 months and I changed it because I wanted another one not because it was worn off.

D5AA1E62-963E-484E-87FC-6C0CC8E80291.jpeg

C482D803-633F-475F-B1A6-C9B15720A63A.jpeg

#1 LenaicM, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Has your court surface changed since the last pair?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Same courts. And it is not a rough surface. Players at my clubs were pretty surprised. We all have more or less worn off shoes around this area but not to that extent and not in less than 3 months. May I add that the white part of the sole you can see under the blue rubber part of the sole is the last barrier before the removable insole and it’s really few mms thick. Soon I’m playing barefoot :p

4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    The shoe in your pictures does not look like a Victor SHA-960

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Perhaps you did more drills requiring extensive footwork lunging and dragging the shoe over past few months? Court surface is mat?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I'm sorry it's a Victor A730. If one mod can correct the title, I will correct the first post. Thanks for pointing it out.

7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I do drills on every session including to the front court but nothing the previous pair couldn't handle. My training partners do the same drills and have their shoes (babolat higher end model and Yonex) since last June. It's worn off too around the same area but nowhere near mine in 3 months. Court surface is mat yes but not rough.

Well I'm in the market for another pair anyway. This pair was very comfortable and stable though I loved it a lot. :(

8. visor

visor Regular Member

LenaicM likes this.
  9. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

[​IMG]

My 960 quality issue is that the hexagonal mesh on the top of the forefoot is breaking due to the bending of that part of the shoe during play

LenaicM likes this.
  10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I’m eyeing on the Yonex Power Cushion 65X as there is a good deal at 80 euros online on a french online shop but again this A730 pair was great in terms of comfort and it was holding my ankle so well. I never rolled an ankle and felt very secured. The price to pay for comfort and security? I will wait to see what Victor does regarding this issue and see if they respond positively to me with an exchange or a deal on another pair otherwise I’ll check other brands.

Thanks for the link I was thinking of adding some glue or something in the meanwhile and this shoe goo looks like I could give it a shot.

11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

How old is your pair?

12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

I have used it for 2 months, the problem occurred 2 weeks ago

LenaicM likes this.
  13. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Thanks for the information. No durability issue around the non racket foot’s inside sole like mine?

14. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

No it is still looking very good in that area

15. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Alright thanks again. May be I really didn’t get lucky and my Victor distributor will get back at me with more feedbacks regarding this model. Wait & see :)

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Ok just a quick update, Victor has agreed to replace the shoes and the shop is sending me a new pair of the same model this week. I was surprised and I appreciate it a lot coming from the Taiwanese brand and the shop. I do hope this was a defectuous pair and the new one will last a bit longer. If not I'll still buy another model from Victor as a way to thank them for their service and see how another model fare comparing to that one. Anyway I couldn't be more pleased as I precised above the shoes helped me get rid of a shin split issue and they are very stable and comfortable.

17. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Tbh this issue I've seen on many SHB-03 as well. That's I think an inherent issue with this particular design. The rubber cage with mesh under layer. It allows top much flex room and eventually the hexagonal cage breaks under stress.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

jjashik likes this.
  18. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

I think it's simply a design flaw to put that plastic hex mesh in the area of the greatest flex in the shoe. It should have been printed on, rather than a physical plastic (or whatever material it is) grid. If there is no other functional problem, then there is nothing to be done, nor would/should Yonex replace (given it's an aesthetic issue). Besides, Yonex (at least here in Canada) warranties their shoes for 3 months, just about when things start ripping on their shoes in my experience so not much more to do than either get another pair, or go for another brand. Most recreational players won't face the issue as they exert little stress on their shoes. For intermediate or above with jumps and severe lateral pushes and stops, 3-4 months seem to be my anecdotal average. Could certainly be less for the serious athletes of moderate weight that train with lots of drills. (We don't all have slender builds like LCW or Yuta Watanabe!)