Victor Hypernano X900 or Victor Thruster K9900?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by FM1994, Aug 24, 2017.

1. FM1994

FM1994 Regular Member

Hi readers!

I need some help on choosing a racket. I'm currently looking at the two rackets mentioned above in the thread title. I'll give a few notes on my play style below, which I hope will help you guys understand my style and also help me choose a racket!

I'm generally a very attacking and aggressive player. I'm always hitting hard and looking to win the point as quick as possible. This means (atleast I think it does) that I'm more than likely going to go for a powerful smash or drive. I have a strong smash but also have the finesse for drop shots and net play which I like to use occasionally to suprise my opponents. I play for a club and I am also part of our county league doubles team.

I have an average backhand which needs great improvement, although I've learned how to send them farther back with less height to avoid being smashed on. This is probably a bad thing, but I also tend to avoid using my back hand unless absolutely necessary, otherwise I always try to get around the shuttlecock to return the shot.

I'm stuck between these two rackets as I've heard and read great things about them. I'm currently in between using the Yonex LDF and the Victor Thruster K9000 with the K9000 being my prefered racket as I feel it edges the LDF in power. However I enjoy defending with the LDF as I feel it's so much quicker and I can pick up counter smashes and reach and counter drop/net shots with ease.

My current racket specs are as follows:

Yonex LDF strung at 27lbs with BG80 (yellow) string
    Thruster K9000 strung at 27lbs with Zymax 66 Fire (white) string

What do you guys think? Do you own any of the rackets I'm currently thinking of purchasing?

Sorry for the long post! I greatly appreciate your help and responses!

2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Ive used 3U VT80s for the past year or so and just picked up a 3U TK9900 MK3. VT80 is similar to an LDF afaik, just not quite as good.

Anyway, you won't be disappointed at the power of TK9900. It is probably only second to a ZF2 but isn't as unwieldy as a ZF2 (which I also tried). TK9900 stiffness is certainly closer to a VT80 than a ZF2 (good for me because ZF2 stiffness made it feel like a plank).

The biggest "gripe" coming from VT80 is the compact frame. The sweet spot is smaller and mishits are unforgiving. The VT80 has a large sweet spot and even off centre hits still come out reasonably. Mishits with the tk9900 tends to lose ~30% power and veer off up to 20 degrees from where you aimed them (and feel terrible). Still TK9900 is more forgiving than a ZF2.

Defence isn't actually that bad - the aero frame helps a lot and the swing weight feels similar to VT80 even though tk9900 is undeniably heavier on a static test - must be the aero frame again.

I've only had it a week - it's not an obvious switch I want to make from the VT80, but I can see the benefits and the drawbacks. If you can get consistently good contact with the shuttle, then this is a great racquet, but for me I may need the forgiveness of the VT80. Will see in a month or so :)

3. FM1994

FM1994 Regular Member

Thanks for your response! How did you feel with the racket on your first use? Were you finding it difficult to adjust? Or, did you get into it straight away?

Yes, the compact head of the TK9900 is my biggest concern. I'm worried I may not get into it as quick as I did with my friend's Arcsaber Z-Slash, which to my understanding also has a compact head. That racket is amazing for smashes, at least for me it was, but it lacked in the control and defence departments IMO.

4. DarkHiatus

First use the transition for overheads is very natural, or any stroke where you have time to prepare properly. In fact, the compact weighty head makes them feel REALLY good. Barely any adjustment and I was jump smashing as normal, but with more power.

It's the reflex shots and quick shots that the weight and compact head become difficult e.g. flat exchanges/defence. These are more likely just to mishit because the racquet is in the wrong place. Been almost 2 weeks and I'm getting the timing down now, but still mishitting 10-15% of reaction shots that I wouldn't have mishit with VT80.

Net shots i had to have a separate training session to address because the aero head combined with the weight meant I was hitting my net shots 2 ft higher than normal (resulting in kills/sticky situations). The trajectory is okay now, but I struggle to tumble the shuttle as an off centre hit and sweet spot hit varies more even on tumbling shots, whereas they were very similar with VT80.

5. FM1994

FM1994 Regular Member

Thanks again for your in-depth repsonse. From what I'm gathering it sounds similar to my friends Z-Slash in regards to the control and reflexes due to the weight and stiffness. That also isn't forgiving due to the compact head. However, I'm going to try and give it a test and see what I get out of it. Thanks again and I appreciate your help!

6. Papa-chan

Papa-chan Regular Member

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I am very curious on what is the differences, subtle if needed, between k9900 and hx900 - if possible from users that own/used to own both rackets. I have read that the hx900 is an even balanced racket and @Mark A found the 3u too heavy however @7un4tran found the 4u too fast. I'm basically looking for a racket with a solid feel. I own a 3u LDF and 3u Js10 but somehow it doesn't give me that solid feel - even with a hard feeling string (BG80 at 26lbs js10, NBG99 at 28lbs LDF). I find myself liking the Li-ning n55iii but it does weighs me down after a few games - but at least it feels "solid". I guess "solid" is open to interpretations but if anyone can share their thoughts that would be great!! :)

7. DarkHiatus

The JS10 and LDF are very different racquets.

The TK9900 is closer to a ZF2/N55iii than a LDF to be honest as it really is quite heavy (probably the most head heavy in Victor's range?), but it is a very solid feeling racquet.

Can't comment on HX900 as I haven't used it.