Victor Jet Speed 10

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tecdecs, Sep 11, 2014.

1. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

Some racket stringer in China actually did some educated guess on why the JS10 is plagued with sinking issue, and he believed that it had to do with Victor making the frame overly flexible. Historically, the most prominent sinking spots on the JS10 are the 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions, which also happens to be what Victor advertise as Nano-Fortify TR technology:

[​IMG]

Note: the above is not JS10, but the HX900 uses the same technology and suffer from sinking to a certain extent as well.

As can be seen above, the tech was supposed to improve the 'elasticity and impact resistance' of the frame, which in layman terms should mean that the frame is able to bend more to increase repulsion and have better shock absorption. This could be where they got the formula wrong and these spots ended up being too 'elastic' (fragile) than it needs to be, which led to sinking issues. With the watermelon JS10 they tried to solve this issue by reducing elasticity, but not only did it not fix the problem (actually it did alleviate it somewhat on the 3U version) but it changed the playing feel where the racket now feels slightly head heavier and stiffer, which understandably are the side effects of making something more solid. That also explains why you feel more vibration, because the frame is now tougher.

The ArcSaber 11 also falls victim to such sinking issue, albeit at a much lower degree. In order to maximize shuttle hold on the ArcSaber 11, Yonex made the frames too flexible (high frame flexibility = high shuttle hold, imagine the frame being 'sucked in' by the string bed on a powerful hit), and it led to a lot of frame sinking issues. These cases led me to believe that there is no way you can retain the playing feel of the racket, if you toughen up the frame you will always pay the cost of stiffer string bed, less flexibility and more vibration, unless there is a breakthrough in material.

Of course, all of the above are just assumptions, so make of it what you will.

ucantseeme likes this.
  2. papersword

papersword Regular Member

I just gotten my Jetspeed S10 4U5G gold black color today. So far, the balance and stiffness feels like Jetspeed Star Wars, which I am currently using now. There is no "Taiwan" label at the bottom of the cap.

More picture here: https://carousell.app.link/VX2hva6HLob

Attached Files:

#2922 papersword, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    yenyesoh, Dave1011, Woesi and 2 others like this.
  3. papersword

More picture after restring both Jetspeed on same day same tenion and same stringer at 26 lbs Li Ning No.1 by Origin Badminton & Tennis in Singapore.

PXL_20220401_044938763[2166].jpg PXL_20220401_044906779[2168].jpg PXL_20220401_044748638[2162].jpg PXL_20220401_043039867[2160].jpg PXL_20220401_043009552[216112].jpg

#2923 papersword, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  4. justforfun

The black gold version seems to have a more pronounced 'slope' going into the recessed area, whereas the Star Wars has similar 'slope' as the watermelon... interesting. Do they play differently?

5. papersword

Yes correct I do notice the slight different too. I just strung it yesterday, gona play it for first session today. Btw, I felt the black gold is abit lighter and slightly stiffer than Star Wars. Will test it later and see about it.

Dave1011 likes this.
  6. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

really appreciate the fact that you've restrung BOTH rackets for that precise comparison. So often we see two racket comparisons with one racket having older strings, and that really throws a wrench into any fair comparison

speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I remember that there has been differences in the width of this groove even over different production lots in the original odol-version. My very first one has a wider groove then the second one I bought around a year later.

So it seems as if they were using again different molds for the JS10C now, but apart from that, it seems to be a regular minimal iteration of the original JS10 and not some serious Mk.II version. Why, oh why Victor? :(

8. papersword

So my 2nd black gold version arrived later today. I played with the 1st black gold and star wars for this 2 hrs session. I felt the black gold version is a little lighter and more even balance than Star Wars. Also, I felt black gold version is less stiff than Star Wars, which I felt alot more comfort hitting with it, and able to generate more power for my smash than using Star Wars. It not about its a new racket or something like that, which I am biased on it. But I felt really more comfortable using the black gold. Perhaps, more play time is needed.

If you were to ask how much I bought, the answer is SGD270 per black gold jetspeed 10 including shipping. Got to ship them in 2 shipment to avoid paying GST...lol

PXL_20220401_134012344[2177].jpg PXL_20220401_134746283[2174].jpg PXL_20220401_134810225[21711].jpg

#2928 papersword, Apr 1, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Woesi, what07 and Dave1011 like this.
  9. Kavaris

Kavaris Regular Member

Student
    So the JS10 black gold version is by Victor CN? I saw it widely available in taobao. Those interested can go get it.

Any other alternatives to replace the original JS10?

10. Zoap San

Zoap San Regular Member

My only complain about the new Jetspeed S10 is the no "free-core" tech. Dunno why they didn't put it in even though S10 is not the higher-end side.

11. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

How many JS10 is out there? I've been using 1st generation JS10 - the blue, white one - for quite some times. So far it suits my play style. Recently I grabbed a Star Wars version not knowing about the detailed spec. All I know (or heard) is that the Star Wars is based on a Jet Speed racket.. but is it really JS10 underneath that paintjob? Cuz it feels different when I play it - compared to my JS10

12. justforfun

Most, if not all themed Jetspeed 10 are the 10Q version, they will play slightly different to the OG JS10.

amaranth likes this.
  13. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

Thanks - I never tried 10Q before, but one thing I noticed with the Star Wars is that the head swing is not as fast as OG JS10. the SW is also felt slightly head heavy compared to the OG

14. what07

what07 Regular Member

SharkTec magic works then? XD

15. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Yes the Jetspeed Star Wars is repainted JS10Q, the JS10Q is usually head heavier and is a different profile to JS10.

amaranth likes this.
  16. amaranth

amaranth Regular Member

Works for me! :D

what07 likes this.
  17. Vincent604

Vincent604 Regular Member

In one post you said 10 Gold is faster in another you changed to softer.
    Can you give an update of how you feel since last posted? Thanks

18. Kavaris

Kavaris Regular Member

Student
    I don't think speed and flexibility are the same.
    10 gold is definitely softer than OG JS10 which is the stiffest among all versions.

what07 likes this.
  19. Vincent604

Vincent604 Regular Member

Alot of people say 10Q is the stiffest? Reason being that victor made it stiffer to fix the grommet sinking issue. Is that right or no?

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Just look at the first post two pages back and you will see the sinking issue on two JS10Q as well. A stiffer shaft don't mean the the head is sturdier or vice versa.

what07 and s_mair like this.