Victor Thruster F vs Auraspeed 90S - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Scrench, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Hi All,

I like Victor rackets, and last night tried a friend's Thurster F strung at 31 pounds. First off, I was completely flabbergasted because I've never tried anything over 23 pounds. I've never had much power in my smash, and from all the articles believed I need to use less string tension to get more power. But last night I had more power than ever, including that great smacking sound of a powerful smash. I also had a great amount of control, within 2 games was easily putting the shuttle right where I wanted it. Even though Victor lists this racket as head heavy, it felt more balanced to me, much more so than my own racket, a Victor Thruster K9000. Also, I've never gotten the power out of my 9000 that the F gave me, but the 9000 is strung at about 23 pounds.

But my main question is this. The only drawback with the F was that the stiff shaft has my shoulder around the rotator cuff and clavicle sore, just like my K9000 does. I'm going to sell my K because of that, so I'm wondering, what racket would give me equivalent performance of a TF, but have a more flexible, forgiving shaft for my poor old 65 year old shoulder, and preferably a larger isometric head instead of the standard F and K size? And, should I be stringing at higher tensions?

I'm an Intermediate/Advanced player and normally use a Victor V4000 that is very flexible and balanced, tension around 17 lbs., but get neither control or power out of it. I use it because it never causes any pain to my shoulder.

(Maybe Bravesword 12, Jetspeed 12F, or ?????)

Thank You,
    Scrench

2. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

TK 6000, must be 4u though if you want it to move like a more even balanced racket, unless your TK9000 is a 4u and you found that too head heavy

3. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

ChocoChipWaffle,

Yes, 9000 is 4U5G, and I think the head heaviness plus stiff shaft are causing the problems.

Thinking about TK6000, Thruster F, and Auraspeed 90S.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

its true lower tension give more power, but most of the time player only read at those point only. What next to be know is at some point its true, but above those point it wont give any power boost or even absorb the energy of your swing.

Lower tension have boucier string bed. At low to mid power output, it will bounce back easier giving bonus power. But at high power output, the bouncier bed would absorb the energy instead bouncing it back.
    High tension other hand is less bouncier. So in simple it give less power bonus but also less absorbing energy at high power output.
    So maybe you have break those power limit but never try high tension. So basically you cage yourself in low tension area.

5. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Budi, that's a very good point about power absorption, and that I've felt "caged in", confined to only low tension.

I have to say I've never felt or gotten the power I see and hear from other players, but have only tried lower tension rackets (about 8) up until now. I never considered that I might have been overpowering the lesser tension this whole time, causing the absorption of the power into the strings rather than the release of it. I always felt like I was hitting the shuttle hard, but that it died down to nothing, almost floating once it got past the net. But the smashes I got from the 31 lb. tension on the Thruster F were still blazing all the way to the floor.

In my racket quest, I've ruled out the Thruster K6000 because it should have the same head heavy feel of my K9000. The shaft would just be a little more flexible. I definitely prefer even balanced rackets for fast close-net doubles work, and because they have the right feel and balance for me with all wrist-flick shots.

After reading many reviews of the Auraspeed 90S, it sounds like it has many of the attributes I like and need, maybe more than the Thruster F, but maybe not the F's power. One review I read was from a fellow who was also experiencing shoulder problems who said "my new Auraspeed 90S is like medicine for my shoulder, I can play as long as I want with no pain". That is certainly speaking to me, but I can't stop thinking about how good the Thruster F felt, and I liked the semi stiff shaft because it never lagged behind in what I was trying to do with the racket, and I think gave it more accuracy in shot placement. I'll contradict myself even further from what I said earlier and say that I like the squarish head shape, thinking it was more forgiving on slightly off-center shots. Even though I had just picked up the racket, I don't remember having any mis-hits in 3 games. And unlike the experience Paul Stewart had in his review of the racket, when I picked it up, it felt more natural to me from the start than the racket I had been playing with for months. I didn't want to give it back to the owner!

I'm wondering if the F would be more forgiving on my arm if I dropped the tension to around 27-28 lbs. or so, because it literally felt "perfect" to me, but that's easy to say with no comparison in-hand. I would love to try a 90S, but so far haven't found one to audition, which of course would make the decision simple if I could try them both back-to-back. Can an Auraspeed 90S get the same power of a Thruster F? It sounds like it might be more agile.

Would those of you who have tried both of these rackets or has another suggestion please share your opinions?

#5 Scrench, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

One said, we didnt choose our sword but the sword itself choose its master:D.
    The TKF is calling you to makes you its master.:p

If you already try TKF & like it, then its better to go for it than going for an uncharted teritory. Even if someone like it, doesnt mean you would like it, afterall its a very personal preference. I like my TK770 which is 3U & heavy head for double yet not many of my friend like it. Or i read so many good review & comment about AVP but i feel hollow with it. Fish like a water but cat hate it.

Lowering tension would definitely less stressfull on your hand. Afterall there is no best string tension for everyone. Try to experiment with it for every restring till you find your sweet tension that fit you.

7. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Thanks Budi for a different perspective.

#7 Scrench, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019