[Video] How can I improve? :)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Razor-BladE, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Thanks all for the comments, as always a real help. :)

What's the reason for this? I thought you face the direction of the shuttle, so if you're on left side and shuttle is played from left corner you'll be slightly facing left, thus right leg forward. But if the shuttle is lifted right you'll be facing right, thus left foot forward. And vice versa if you're positioned on the right hand side.

Noted, thanks.

Along with my general poor racket carriage, I'll try to remember to prep better here, thanks.
    I also realise I'm still not rotating fully. Need to make use of my left arm to pull back at the same time.

Yep, that still goes on at match nights! Have to shout to hear the score. :rolleyes: A real pain, but only on match nights, thankfully our club nights are normal.

Yeah shoot me a message, I know most of the Avon coaches, but will be interesting to know what you know.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You are quite right foot forward in a lot of defensive situations. It means that your right hip and right shoulder areas will be cramped if drives or smashes are targeted there. Has that been an area of relative weakness before? It's more difficult to use the backhand thumb grip to defend these areas. I would hazard a guess you sometimes get stuck between trying to play a backhand or forehand shot.

I concur with your positioning for the right side but not really the left side - I suspect if the shuttle is lifted to the left side of the court (opponent's right side) and you are on the left side with your right foot forward, when the shuttle is smashed to the right side of the body (knee/hip height) you practically never play a cross court lift to the right side of the court.

I went and had a look at the older videos and you really have made a good improvement. Tactically it is better as well. Overall, I would say it's a lot of fine tuning that is required. For example, if you are put into a certain position on court, your choice of shot is limited to one or two and using you fingers could be more relaxed. There's a lot of power and steepness in your overhead smash - If you could get a better, more standard preparation that can also be used for a dropshot, and, as @visor says, a little more tactical variety in choice of shot, then you would be pretty difficult to defend against when you are at the rear court.

#102 Cheung, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Razor-BladE likes this.
  3. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Yeah I do struggle to defend from that place the most!
    Thanks for the explanation, I'll try to make those changes once we're allowed to play again!

So I'll focus on:
    Left foot forward on defending
    Lower body position
    Higher racket carriage and better/earlier racket prep
    More variety on overheads plus hitting down middle more

Cheung likes this.
  4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

you'd still face the shuttle either way

btw, good quality games, thanks for posting