[VIDEO] Jeffrey Personal Singles Progression Thread

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ultimatedbz, May 4, 2019.

1. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

Hey there, my name is Jeffrey and I've played badminton ever since highschool. I trained a lot and it was a big part of my life in those years. Since going to college, I stopped playing to focus on my studies and getting internships. After I graduated though, and started working, I've found myself slowly gravitating towards badminton again, which is very exciting! That being said, I was very analytical back in highschool, and loved studying clips of Lin Dan and comparing them to my recordings. Since I started again, I thought I'm rediscovering that joy that I had almost 8 years ago! I'm starting this thread to document my progress as I move forward now.

Anyone following, tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated. As I post updates, I will also write my own thoughts in case anyone is wondering. I can also post some clips I recorded back in my highschool days too! One of my biggest regrets is back in highschool, when I decided to quit, I deleted a lot of the videos I recorded, so there's a bunch of progression videos that I'll never be able to watch again :/ but that's life haha. But please, feel free to join me on my journey!

Index
    [2018 Clips] https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ngles-progression-thread.180725/#post-2763114

[April 2019] https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ngles-progression-thread.180725/#post-2742955
    [August 2019] https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ngles-progression-thread.180725/#post-2742957
    [October 2019] https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ngles-progression-thread.180725/#post-2763103

Latest Progress

#1 ultimatedbz, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @ultimatedbz

Nice videos Jeffrey.

Been watching your channel. I like the way you present your content.

3. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

@Cheung Thanks for your kind words! Please let me know if you have any suggestions/feedback :)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

When you defend on the backhand, your grip is inefficient and the face of the racquet will face upwards. So when the shuttle hits the strings, it will naturally rebound too high. Not a problem until you get to the players who can smash giving the shuttle more speed!

Try receiving the smash with a slightly more backhand grip and keeping your other actions the same - that small change might solve your problem of the shuttle passing back too high and a bit slow across the net. You can still receive forehand smashes OK with that type of grip.

When you go back to China, I suggest 1.5h sessions :) Made a big difference for me in quality of training, slightly longer rest periods meant I could focus on techniques a little more rather than the feeling of being a bit rushed.

5. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

Yes!! First, i did notice that my racket faces upwards, this was really apparent after I started doing drills to try to fix this. I think it's a combination of backhand grip and also just rotating the forearm so that the racket faces more forward?

And yeah that's a great point :) with one hour, there was like, 10 minutes warm up, and then 50 minutes of intense training that got pretty tiring. It's a good point, 1.5h would allow me to rest in between and work on less tiring things like working on my control/touch. Thanks for the feedback @Cheung :)

6. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

April 2019

Things I noticed
    • When I pedal from FF to BB, my initial step back with my right foot can go farther back
    • My form in the back right corner looks off, with racket coming in
    • I have trouble receiving drives to my back hand
    • I smash a lot to the middle, right into the opponent's racket
    • My high serve return isn't great. It's really inconsistent, and I don't get back to the middle fast enough for the next shot
    Timestamps
    Vs. Wes
    • [0:42] [1:51] [2:16] [2:47] [2:57] [9:28] [10:32] When I pedal from FF to BB, my initial step back with my right foot can go farther back
    • [3:40] [9:20] [9:30] BR form still looks off, with racket coming in
    Vs. Tim
    • [1:07] [3:08] [6:44] [8:12] [10:19] [10:36] Trouble receiving drive to my back hand
    • [8:48] [9:38] Smashed to the middle
    • [9:18] [10:26] [13:09] High Serve Return sucks
    Vs. Paul
    • [1:29] [4:17] [12:21] [23:19] [24:21] [25:23] [29:37] [30:00] [31:22] Bad return to drive to backhand
    • [8:22] [9:14] [10:19] [12:26] [16:10] [23:59] [24:48] [25:14] [27:57] BR Form is off with racket facing in. This happens a lot, especially when I don’t have much time
    • [9:46] [12:23] [17:05] [19:10] [26:21] Smashing to the middle, to his racket
    Vs. Chetan
    • [7:09] [18:51] [19:41] When he whips the birdie crosscourt when I smash to his backhand, it catches me super off guard
    • [11:02] [11:52] [12:23] [19:38] BR form
    • [1:36] [3:29] [7:02] Smash to center to his racket
    --------------
    Past Videos
    12/8/18:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQIq6s2lVE
    10/14/18:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rTLk6cW8Ao
    January 2014:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCWE1yBuB4c

#6 ultimatedbz, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  7. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

August 2019
    It's been a while since my last post from April, things got really busy with vacations and work, but I think I still did improve, and I tried to capture that by reviewing my recent matches and analyzing them!

In this video, I went to spar with some people at Synergy Badminton Club. (Howard Bach coaches there!) I got pretty destroyed, but I was able to experience badminton at a faster and flatter pace, against people who were really consistent and hit quality shots... they got everything I hit to them!

In this video, I spared with a few friends at my local badminton gym. Paul from the first video also came to spar!

And here's an analysis of my level as of August. I'm excited to get working on the three things I highlighted: Staying on my toes, improving my backhand clear/drop, and getting used to a flatter and faster pace.

8. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

I watched the synergy sparring video. I can't tell that you have a strategy when you play. I feel that you are just hitting the shuttle over the net with no purpose. I think for you, a good strategy is to try to create opportunities to attack. This is because I don't see that you have very good defense, and your skills are not that good. But your smash, compared to your level, is good. The two main ways to make opportunities to attack is to spin the shuttle and they have to lift high and slow (net close at your level may work too) or to net far and anticipate the push.

9. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I didn't have much of a strategy because they were so fast and I was just trying my best to keep up. I think those two points are solid and I did try doing them. when spinning the shuttle, they would either spin it back tighter, or life to the far back. When netting far and anticipating the push, even if I anticipated right, the shot I hit back wouldn't be a quality shot haha I definitely think I need to have more of a purpose with my shots, while also working on getting used to playing at a faster pace :)

10. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I'm a beginner and often I'm able to play better vs players 25 years younger than me as vs players 15 years older than me. Why ? Because the younger players make a lot more errors, just like me.

Watch your own video and count how many points did you lose because of a winning shot of your opponent or because you made an error.

A good start to win more points is to play more safe. Your opponent do a lot of misstakes too, just play safer, don't try to force a winning shot and you will automatically gain more points.

11. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

It's common to spin the shuttle when you receive the short serve. You can try that. Something I noticed is that your transition shots are pretty good. But what is the purpose of a transition shot? It is because you can't smash, but you want to maintain the shuttle going downwards. Also, the name transition suggests that you are transitioning to attack. But after you hit the shot, you're constantly in a defensive position.

You also take too many transition shots. Most of the time you could have did the china jump on the forehand side, but you opted to do defensive footwork and lost any offensive pressure. Another thing is that you don't turn your body enough for the overhead side.

12. Ballschubser

Can you elaborate on this.

As far as I know, you should spin only when you take the shuttle close to the net. When I watch the videos, he is roughly 3m away from the net when receiving a service.

13. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

It's possible, we just have to step up and catch the bird closer to the net. The shot won't spin like crazy, but it will spin when it leaves the racket, lose speed, and drop close to the net. Not sure if that's what asadafgs meant though haha The speed of the shuttle is too fast and far for the serve, so there's a limit on how much we can spin it.

14. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Yup this. Actually the bird will spin quite a bit. You will be able to spin unless your opponent serves very far

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That's a fitness and strength issue.

If you see this happen in a game to your opponent, you can assume he can't take shuttles early in this area which gives yourself a little extra time.

@ultimatedbz

That's a feature of your play. You move pretty well, good strokes but you lack the sudden first step acceleration to change the pace and put pressure on the opponent. You have put more focus on techniques in this thread but you do look like more conditioning work would benefit greatly.

MrHoang likes this.
  16. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

October 2019
    Hey everyone! It's been a while, but I going to add another update to my singles progression. Looking back, from my last "progress checkin", I'd say that I feel generally more smoother and more used to play at a flat and fast pace. Part of it is due to how for the past two months, my drilling partner and I mainly worked on the box drill. As always, I'd love any feedback and I'm curious if you were a coach, what you would have me work on!

Personally, for the next two months, I'm going to focus on aiming my smash down the sidelines, playing faster and flatter, and starting to be more aggressive and incorporate "injection of pace" into my game.

Also, just looking back, the improvement seems pretty gradual if I compare to three months back, but when I compare to before that, I notice a lot of things that I improved on. And omg, when I look at myself from a year ago, it's crazy how much better I've gotten! I'll add a post after this one for my videos a year ago. Could be interesting :)

I recorded many matches so here are a few:

I got completely destroyed in this one lol:

Here's my analysis for the month of October, for those who are interested.

17. Ballschubser

I'm not a coach, so just an bystander trying to give some hints ;)

Overall your shots and movement to the backcourt is quite good. You play a nice neutral game at times, you can keep up the rally really long, overall the rallies looks quite good. You play calm and you are often in control of the game. You established a really nice game style here.

Here's a more detailed analysis point out some of your weakness in my opinion:

Vid1:
    0:34 bad recovery from lunge to the frontcourt
    0:44 lunge to the front court, too unstable afterwards
    1:37 bad recovery, missing split step, missing lunge to front court

vid 2:
    0:46 again, lunge and no recovery, just pure luck not losing the point here

vid 4:
    0:00 attacking stance after serve, therefor you need to rotate more powerful to take the backcourt shot leaving you in a more unstable position to get back to the base position, unable to reach the cc shot
    0:35 unstable after lunge, bad recovery

Issues:
    - I see the attacking stance after serve (racket foot forward) as problematic, thought you are quickly to the backcourt, you need a lot more power/energy to turn around and quick shots to the sidelines could be dangerous too.
    - vid 4(Paul 5): too many short lifts/clears, either improve lift length or try to play more net shots.
    - Lunges to the frontcourt is a weakness !

Advice:
    - First off, you don't need to train your smash yet. Once you hold a hammer in your hands, you will see everywhere nails... You really use a good variance of shots, your shots are consistent, you play lot of neutral shots, you play effortless fast drop shots...all this is absolutely sufficient at this stage in my opinion.

- Try out a better ready position after your serve. Split directly into a neutral stance and look if you are capable to cover the front court better, need less energy to cover the back court.

- Lunges to the frontcourt: this should be a training focus. You lunge and follow through too often, leaving you in a really aweful position to recover from. You should train a deep lunge with a fast recovery first. A deep lunge with outstreched racket will increase your reach a lot and it will help you to put less momentum into the movement.

#17 Ballschubser, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  18. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

Hey @ballschuber!

First off, thanks for taking the time to watch the videos and give feedback :)

Vid1:
    From the timestamps you mentioned, I think 0:34 and 1:37 were ones were I gambled and went "all in". Basically if that shot didn't work then I'd lose the rally. 0:44 was definitely me being unstable haha! I don't think I was expecting that shot and was caught really off guard.

Vid2:
    0:46, yup, agreed! I was already in a disadvantageous position. I think you're talking about 0:41, where I jump in and try to hit a winner? But then he got it back and punished me severely haha

vid3:
    Yeah... just generally wasn't that stable.

Issues:
    yes!!!! I totally agree that my lifts and clears are too short. It's super obvious when I watch the clips, and look at the location of Paul's feet when he hits the shot. He's usually not that far back. Also yup, my lunges to the front court... not that stable, and bad recovery after them.

Advice:
    - Thanks for your compliments on my shot consistency, neutral shots, and fast drop shots :) I do think I need to train the accuracy of my smashes though. I've been noticing that when I just try to hit a smash without thinking about where it's going, it usually just goes straight, or to the center... usually right into the opponent's racket.
    - When you say split directly into a neutral stance, do you mean completely side by side?
    - I will definitely be keeping an eye out for lunges in the forecourt. Thanks for bringing this to my attention ballschuber!

Thanks again for taking the time to watch the videos and give feedback, you literally didn't have to spend so much time and effort on my post, so I'm very grateful :)

19. ultimatedbz

ultimatedbz New Member

2018 Clips
    Hey! As I mentioned in #16, I'd like to also share my video from a year ago, which could give anyone interested a sense of progress over a year. omg I'm watching this and cringing so hard!

5/5/18

10/14/18

12/20/18

20. Ballschubser

I'm confused, I would have sworn that your first vid was vs some girl ? Did you removed it or do I need more sleep ?

So, vid 2 is refering to your current vid 1, you need to shift my comments.