[VIDEO] Singles Progression

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DarkHiatus, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is it really a physically demanding racquet? Or is that what people say and then it goes around more and more? Or have people’s expectations of themselves decreased. ‘Physically demanding’ but 15-16 years ago, the world championships were won with 2U racquets. Everyone was using 2U and nobody was saying a racquet was ‘physically demanding’. :)

Extra stiff shaft racquet? My daughter and her friend are using a 4U ZF2, 3U AX88 and clearing full length - they are ten years old. Could they do better with more flexible racquets? Possibly. Could they do better with learning better techniques? Definitely much better.

I think changing a racquet is way down on the list of priorities. Changing a racquet might improve one area of a game but other areas might get worse. Acceptable for some people though.

LenaicM likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yes. That is just the different approach we have to problem solving.

I would :
    Look at my starting body position
    Check my bounce
    Check my footwork placement
    Check my footwork timing
    Check if I am under the shuttle where it would fall around my right shoulder area.
    Make sure I am not too far to the side or to the middle.
    When I move to the dropshot, I have to keep low centre of gravity
    Am I making too big steps making me off balance?
    Did I raise my racquet early enough?
    Is my grip correct?
    Am I going up into the shuttle with my stroke?
    Is my swing too big?
    Etc.

I agree, changing a racquet would be easier. Different approach.

Ballschubser likes this.
  3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Pls don't missunderstand me, I'm completely with you. Your approach is the right way to solve the problem and I do not mean, that an other racket should be the solution to technical issues..
    I just mean, that an other racket could help me to highlight the problems I have, to identify them. This is not my opinion, this is more a question out of curiosity, if coaches would sugguest this to help a player to see the issues he has.

Eg a very flexible racket could disguise the issues I have in my technique when executing a clear. Changing to a more stiff one could highlight these issue, even when I switch back to the more flexible racket later on, so that I'm able to conserve my energy in a 3-set game. But you need to find a way to play a clear with the stiff racket by improving your technique, which helps you with the other racket too.

#663 Ballschubser, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Never heard of this myself but maybe other people have.

5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

English Teacher for Young Children
    Let's consider it the other way around: (I stop spamming the thread after that post) say I currently use a 3U medium flex neutral balance racket, should I switch to a rigid racket to learn how to get better technique / maximize the efficiency of my training sessions? (ie in a way the medium flex racket compensate my lack of abilities and technique by somehow making it "easier" to complete the drills successfully)

#665 LenaicM, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Tec07 likes this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Use a racquet that you are happy with.

7. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Major milestone this weekend with a local London tournament win for the MS C category! I've entered this in past years and have made the QFs previously. Standard is probably 0.5-1 level lower than a senior copper (tier 4) BadmintonEngland tournament.

A combination of improvement and having a slightly weaker field this year - in previous years, similar standard players (or stronger) would be in group stages, whereas this year they were confined to the QFs and above.

Video was taken by tournament organisers so I'll link that over when it is available :)

8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

English Teacher for Young Children
    Congratulations! Hard work always pays off! :)