[VIDEO] Singles Progression

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DarkHiatus, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Besides learning to keep up concentration, you although need to adapt your game once you are tired. E.g. you no longer are able to compensate weaknesses in tactics with fast footwork, this way you are forced to practise things you would not need when being fit.

Edit: Removed a reference to an other player, that I could not pove.
    Edit: changed exhausted to tired

#701 Ballschubser, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:51 PM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 10:17 PM
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you are exhausted, there is no point in training as there is no quality.

3. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

I disagree, training precise movements is indeed not very useful when exhausted but in a real match scenario you are going to get exhausted and you are going to need to focus on some points even if you are phasing out.

Practicing while exhausted helps you do that.

You are not going to perfect your stroke while training exhausted but you are going to decrease that drop in quality while you get tired.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I believe you can train anaerobic capacity.

I believe you can train stamina.

I really doubt it’s good to train if you are exhausted. Isn’t that asking for injuries?

Mason likes this.
  5. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

All that is true

Exhausted might be a bit too much indeed. But I still believe that being able to play badminton under anaerobic threshold would be way too much work right? Therefore there will be cases when you are not 100% lucid anymore but you still need to maintain focus.

But then again you are right I would not advise to train while fully exhausted, just a tad tired.

DarkHiatus and Cheung like this.
  6. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Maybe exhausted is going to far, tired might be a better term.

Well, you should never train beyond a stage where you are unable to control your movement and risk injury. Sorry if I implied this.

But my point is, that when you are tired to play your common routine, like jump smashing, quickly moving around a shuttle etc., that you need to adapt in a situation, where every jump smash and movement is really draining too much power. This is the time, when you need to change your routine and need to adapt, other shot choice, more energy efficient movement and shots, better shot sequences etc.

In my opinion a lot of training and drilling is about a game situation, where you are fit. But what happens if you play vs a player who is just good at defending and a neutral game ? If you are used to play a fast and hard game, what will happen if the other players just drain your battery so fast, that you are unable to continue playing this game style. Will you just let it pass and take some experiences back home, but not a win, or do you try to adapt ?

Momota is one of these players, having so much skill and shot quality, that he is able to drain every single player in the world with a neutral game. I'm not sure if stamina alone is the solution.

SimonCarter and Cheung like this.