[Video] Tips for improvement?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mtu620, Apr 29, 2018.

1. mtu620

mtu620 Regular Member

Just finished a tournament, got to MS A F (remarkably) and lost. Played the same opponent as my first post in this thread April 29, 2018, also in MS A QF. This time winning 19-21, 21-18, 25-23. I've uploaded QF, SF matches. I realize I look very different on the court than my opponents and can only attribute this to incorrect technique. No access to coaching, so only way to improve is to analyze my own videos frame by frame. Would really appreciate more tips/ instruction on both technique and singles strategy. Would appreciate if you could be as specific as possible.

For example : hit @ highest point. Ok, but how? By raising right shoulder? Extending more? .... and stop slicing - I know, but how? I use the forehand grip already, so is it a swing path issue? Breaking it down as if I'm a complete beginner would be very helpful.

2. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Right shoulder higher, almost touching your ear. You will get a steeper angle of attack but at lower speed/power the higher you reach and straighter your arm is.

For example, 2 different techniques but look at the similarities - Son Wan Ho has a rigid body but his right shoulder is always lifted before contact to increase reach. His head is very stable compared to some players, especially doubles players like Ahsan who goes for more reach but tilts his head about 90 degrees.

#42 Ouchie, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    mtu620 likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very good improvement. Movement to round the head position is very weak in a game situation. It's your footwork and body positioning restricting your speed. You need the 'flying step'

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

here's a vid that talks and demonstrates what Cheung is suggesting.

Although, he mentiones to rotate around when doing the first step, but a local coach told me not too. I guess I was over rotating because you can't get your hips/legs going to the back corner without rotating a fair amount?!

DarkHiatus and mtu620 like this.
  5. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Hehe, my coach has told me exactly the same - that I am over-rotating. The problem is my feet/hips are rotating correctly (and they should), but if you exaggerate the movement, your shoulders/elbow over-rotate which adversely impacts your overhead stroke effectiveness, ESPECIALLY when going round the headf; further for your racquet to travel before it gets to the shuttle, frequently resulting in slice, especially since a RTH stroke is one where you are time limited to begin with.

I think it is probably one of those things you need to learn the extremes before you find a good balance (literally). You don't want to be backpedalling too square to the net (limiting movement, shot selection and balance/recovery) but you don't want to over-rotate either (losslof accuracy, energy inefficient, and loss of balance again).

Cheung, MSeeley, mtu620 and 1 other person like this.
  6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I've personally never seen anyone over rotate going round the head - most people don't come close to rotating enough. The risks of over-rotating are as you described, the risk of not rotating enough is that you will not be able to cover a flat fast lift with a round the head movement if you don't rotate enough on the first step - rotating so you are at least fully side on to the net is required to be able to reach far round the head and intercept a flat lift, and you don't often have much time to make the interception - you have a short window to take the shot before it gets too far past you meaning you have to turn and take it backhand.

As you say - best to practice lots of variants to decide which is best. In theory, you could turn different amounts depending on the speed of the lift, but I find in practice most people struggle with this when learning - it would be better to rotate too soon and still get it round the head, rather than start rotating too late and believe instead you are simply "too slow" when actually it's your footwork that was wrong rather than slow.

As a side note: I really like that series of footwork videos - very nice clear demonstrations with good balance and power that most people should strive for!

mtu620 likes this.
  7. mtu620

mtu620 Regular Member

Yet another tournament. Got to SF MS A, played https://bwfbadminton.com/player/90593/sheng-lyu

Obviously got killed with such as a skill differential, but any tips for improvement? (e.g. need to do this more, this less, work on this, do these exercises). Would benefit on what to work on and exactly how to work on those items, not just "improve footwork."

Thanks!

8. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Nice comparison you have here, as you can overlay your opponent against you on the cameraside.

The most obvious comparison is your momentum on rearcourt movements. You are hitting the shuttle above your head or slightly behind you, and your momentum is still overall moving backwards. This leads to a lot of loopy/flat strokes, and makes your recovery forward harder.

Compare to your opponent's rearcourt movement - he moves the same distance as you backwards, but puts more effort in in the initial push off so he almost always hits the shuttle well in front of him, giving him loads of angle, choices, and power.

You are clearly capable of moving the same distance, and have the leg strength to do it - this is an issue about timing and urgency in getting behind the shuttle. Try to focus on having forward momentum when you hit the shuttle - the extra effort to get that half step in before hitting the shuttle is worth it, rather than having the half step after you hit the shuttle, which makes your recovery much harder and slower as well as taking away angle, choice, and power from the shot itself.

To try and get that improvement, separate your footwork into:
    1) split step
    2) pivot
    3) chasse/steps
    4) jump/scissor
    5) hit shuttle
    6) recovery

1 and 2 sets your direction, you may move slightly backwards with 2, but try not to mix it with 3

3 should really be all the backwards movements you need to do as once your feet are pointing the right way, you can move pretty far in 1 step. If you have your feet aligned into the corner from base position, you can often chasse/step almost as far as the doubles service line in one movement, for example.

4 should be a neutral/forwards movement, before 5

6) should be 100% forward movement - you don't want any backwards momentum after you hit the shuttle, especially if you player a drop shot/smash...otherwise that tight block to the net is going to be a dive for you, if you're lucky.

#48 DarkHiatus, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Cheung, mtu620 and Solomon liu like this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You had some comments back in 2018, especially from @MSeeley about centre of balance and posture. Suggest you revisit those.